Offaly Senior Football Club Championship 2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Superted
Intermediate

Re: Offaly Senior Football Club Championship 2011

Post by Superted »

Can someone tell me what the relegation situation is?

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Superted wrote:Can someone tell me what the relegation situation is?
Pretty straight forward. Shamrocks and Tubber meet in the playoff. Loser is relegated.

Tubber should win easily. Id be suprised if its less than 10 points. Shamrocks are not putting in any effort at all. The loss of so many players has killed the interest in the club and the young lads that have come in are lacking in commitment and Shamrocks are at a stage that they dont even know who will and who wont show up for a championship game. For example in their last games in both senior football and senior hurling championship a couple of players just did not appear, no notice or explanations given.

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

Long John wrote:
Superted wrote:Can someone tell me what the relegation situation is?
Pretty straight forward. Shamrocks and Tubber meet in the playoff. Loser is relegated.

Tubber should win easily. Id be suprised if its less than 10 points. Shamrocks are not putting in any effort at all. The loss of so many players has killed the interest in the club and the young lads that have come in are lacking in commitment and Shamrocks are at a stage that they dont even know who will and who wont show up for a championship game. For example in their last games in both senior football and senior hurling championship a couple of players just did not appear, no notice or explanations given.
Has anyone an insight into what is happening at Shamrocks. Was there a major falling out or is just a very rapid natural decline?

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

club125 wrote:Has anyone an insight into what is happening at Shamrocks. Was there a major falling out or is just a very rapid natural decline?
I know alot of the lads and live in the area. They have lost a massive amount of players in last two years with emigration and work relocation, then this year transfers and a few very early retirements (Coughlan's, PJ Ward, Shane Guinan). The likes of Conor Mooney who has retired is a big loss. Derek Molloy over in the states but think he comes and goes with the football anyway and doubt he would have played.

The lads coming through from underage are very unreliable. Its just their make up. Minor teams have pulled out of both championships this year also so thats where the big problem lies. No conveyor belt.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

faithfullad wrote:Quarter Finals are:
Rhode v Walsh Island
Erin Rovers v Clara
Edenderry v St. Rynaghs
Ferbane v Gracefield
How do you think these matches will go, i'd fancy Rhode, Clara, the Reds & Gracefield. The Pullagh/Clara match could be a close affair,are the semi-finals draw known?????

___
Junior B

Post by ___ »

My predictions in football are:

SENIOR - Rhode
INTERMEDIATE - St.Brigids
JUNIOR A - Cappincur
MINOR - St.Vincents

hurling:

SENIOR - Birr
INTERMEDIATE - Rynaghs
JUNIOR A - Killeigh
MINOR - Rynaghs

m'up owa that High School Musical!!

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

summerindublin wrote:
faithfullad wrote:Quarter Finals are:
Rhode v Walsh Island
Erin Rovers v Clara
Edenderry v St. Rynaghs
Ferbane v Gracefield
How do you think these matches will go, i'd fancy Rhode, Clara, the Reds & Gracefield. The Pullagh/Clara match could be a close affair,are the semi-finals draw known?????
I'd say Rhode will take care of WI with a few points to spare. Pollough will give it everything against Clara but I'd say they will come up short. Edenderry-Rynaghs should be the closest game of the round, I'd fancy Edenderry to win a low scoring game by a point or two. Ferbane, I think are probably the weakest team left and will come up short against Gracefield. I think the semis are open draw.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

rhode v walsh island ;rhode. / st.rynaghs v edenderry ; st.rynaghs / erin rovers v clara ; erin rovers / ferbane v gracefield ; gracefield. thats what me thinks

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

Ferbane 10/11 Gracefield 11/10.... Draw 13/2
Rhode 1/12 Walsh Island 6/1........ Draw 16/1
Clara 2/7 Erin Rovers 10/3...... Draw 8/1
Edenderry 4/7 St Rynaghs 7/4.... Draw 7/1

brian fantana
Intermediate
Club: rhode

Post by brian fantana »

walsh island are some price at 6-1 rhode are without niall mac and anton sullivan, the two best forwards in offaly. cant see how the bookies have dat price. but ill be taking it

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

I was gona take the 6/1 on Walsh Island,over priced imo. But now that you say Niallers out that is defo overpriced. Should be 3/1. Whys he out anyway?
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

brian fantana wrote:walsh island are some price at 6-1 rhode are without niall mac and anton sullivan, the two best forwards in offaly. cant see how the bookies have dat price. but ill be taking it
The bookies (including me) wouldn't have been aware of that. Any reason, and will he still be out now that this game is delayed for a week?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sick boy
Junior C

Post by sick boy »

why is the rhode vs walsh island 1/4 final delayed a wk.... hardly to give an injured player an extra week to recover from an injury?? all a bit too convenient for my liking! :?

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Weekend fixtures.

Ferbane v Gracefield. Very hard one to call. Two sides at about the same level. If Ferbane perform to their max they should be good enough to get through. Gracefield will de dogged as usual and battle hard. There is very little between them. Ferbane by a whisker.

Clara v Pullagh. Its all set up for what some might see as a big shock. Pullagh motoring along nicely in a very poor championship. Clara decimated with injuries and emigration. And I mean Scott Brady is their linchpin. I always said without him they would struggle and they have. They are better footballers than Pullagh and should have enough to win but dont be suprised if Pullagh seak it especially on a wet day.

Edenderry v Rynaghs. Neither team should be causing too much headaches for any of the serious contenders but both have had a good year and made good progress. Rynaghs progress might be more to do with a very poor championship and a favourable group. Edenderry if they really are making the advances that people are claiming then they should win this. Rynaghs will give them a tough encounter. Reds by 4 or 5.

Rhode v Walsh Island. Rhode to win by whatever they want. The Island rely too heavily on a few players and Rhode should be able to cruise through this one without exerting themselves too much. Without Niall Mac though its a different story. Rhode rely on his brilliance hugely. Rhode by 3 or 4 without him. With him by whatever they want.

Tubber v Shamrocks. A mismatch really and now its gone the other way. Shamrocks beat Tubber by 13 or 14 points in a quater final two years ago. I can see the result going the opposite way this time. Even without Brian McManus who should be suspended but I dont know what he got, you would expect Tubber to win this comfortably against a Shamrocks team struggling for numbers. Tubber by at least 10.

OffalyDub
Junior A

Post by OffalyDub »

Apparently the Rhode v Walsh Island match was put back a week as neither are involved in hurling championships. That's the official line anyway................

Doesn't really make much sense. The master fixture list had this weekend down for senior football championship. Football it should be.

It is nearly as important for the county board to be seen to do the right thing, as to actually do the right thing. On this occasion they have managed neither.