Offaly minor Hurlers 2013

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: Offaly minor Hurlers 2013

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Offaly Minor team has been announced. They will line out

1 Eoghan Cahill (Birr)
2 Rian Kelly (St Rynagh’s)
3 Cillian Kiely (Kilcormac-Killoughey)
4 Craig Taylor (Birr)
5 Daniel Doughan (Shinrone)
6 Conor Doughan (Shinrone)
7 Ben Conneely (St Rynagh’s)
8 Emmet Nolan (Birr) (captain)
9 Donal Mahon (Lusmagh)
10 Alan Spain (Kilcormac-Killoughey)
11 Dylan Murray (Kilcormac-Killoughey)
12 David Kelly (Belmont)
13 James Kilmartin (Kilcormac-Killoughey)
14 Colm Daly (St Rynagh’s)
15 Jordan Fogarty (Shinrone)

Subs;
16 Oisín Mahon (Kilcormac-Killoughey)
17 Jamie Coyne (Tullamore)
18 Ronan Hughes (St Rynagh’s)
19 Conor Molloy (Coolderry)
20 Adrian Cleary (Shinrone)
21 Harley Dalzell (Kilcormac-Killoughey)
22 Conor Freeman (Carrig & Riverstown)
23 Pádraig Guinan (Drumcullen)
24 Eoin Carroll (Shinrone)
25 Shane Ryan (Seir Kieran)
26 Danny Spain (Brosna Gaels)
27 Johnny O'Toole (Shamrocks)
28 David O'Toole (Shamrocks)
29 Scott Feenane (Birr)
30 Eoin Parlon (Coolderry)
not a bad team, is Ben Conneely a son of Micks, theres a good backbone of players there who are there second and 3rd year as minors, i know Kiely is minor again next year which will be his 4th.

i think Murray and Spain and Emmet Nolan its there 3rd year as minors, i see Gary Cahills lad in goals
i remember Gary as a chap playing in goals for Birr to. is james Kilmartin a brother of Damien who hurles midfield for k/k seniors.

Scott Feenane i wonder is that Matts lad, some old names there that are back again which is good
for the Birr hurling, i though Declan Pilkingtons lad Eoin was minor this year again is he hurt or overage this year.

anyway best of luck to the lads please god i'd get from Comer on saturday evening to see the game.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ben is son of Mícheál right enough. Sub Ronan Hughes is son of David.
townman wrote:not a bad team, is Ben Conneely a son of Micks, theres a good backbone of players there who are there second and 3rd year as minors, i know Kiely is minor again next year which will be his 4th.
Sorry, Townman - can't resist -
Bord na Mona man wrote:Offaly Hurling Man thinks that underage programmes should list the father, mother and uncles of the player. Otherwise, who is he?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Could someone list out the team in fathers and families format?
Like this:
1 Son of
2 Nephew of
3 Brother of

So I can pass comments like;
"He runs like his father"
"He's a dirty bollix like his uncle"
"He's as yellow as his brother"

Really, I don't care so much about the players themselves.
Until they've hurled 5 years at senior inter county, they aren't entitled to an identity of their own.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

"Who’s this Cillian Kiely lad anyway?

All this talk … unless his auld lad or uncle was on the 81 or 98 teams or any of the Birr teams he’s not worth talking about.

Kiely … shure his stock are probably from Limerick .. shure that says it all …

Pint of ale there Mossie ..."

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

durra1 wrote:"Who’s this Cillian Kiely lad anyway?

All this talk … unless his auld lad or uncle was on the 81 or 98 teams or any of the Birr teams he’s not worth talking about.

Kiely … shure his stock are probably from Limerick .. shure that says it all …

Pint of ale there Mossie ..."
Daddy
Uncle

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

good win job done, after a poor start with carlow getting 1-1 we settle down again the wind to take over the game with the outstanding Colm Daly and James Kilmartin scoring goals and Lusmaghs Donal Mahon on top at midfield.

a mistake by Cillian Kiely at fullback let Carlow in for another goals, in fairness to Kiely he doesn't look fit and looks injured at the moment.

offaly were out early for the second half and blew Carlow away with a powerful display with goals from Daly 2, and Mahon, some nice points from Dylan Murray this game was over after 10 minutes of the second half. offaly cleared the Bench with Padraig Guinan,Kevin Coyne,Conor Freeman,Ronan Huges,
all coming on with 3 of them scoring.

best in defence were Craig Taylor the two Doughans Kiely, Emmett Nolan had better days in midfield
Donal Mahon was along with Colm Daly MOTM, scored 1-2 from midfield and is a strong young fella.

up front Daly, Dylan Murray, David Kelly who worked hard all evening and made alot of scores
Kilmartin took his scores well, along with skilful Jordan Fogarty who showed some lovely stickwork
in the second half to win the ball back off the Carlowman.

Dublin next in Parnell park will be a different kettle of fish, i know it was only carlow but a few years
ago we lost to them and westmeath, so at least we are heading in the right way.

with the footballers great display in Navan what a win its a good weekend for underage in offaly :D

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Good report Townman
Well done both, minor, Hurling and Football panels.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I heard the Minor Football Results going into Birr. Great Results. The Meath man in the Office below me said that if the match was 10 mins longer Offaly would have got 10 Goals they were in the zone for the last 15 mins but he still think that Meath Minor team will win the All Ireland this year.

The Hurlers were Excellent on Saturday as well after a slow start. 5-23 is a great scoreline. but the most impressive thing was the way the forwards fought and turned over the ball. The two Wing Forwards Alan Spain and David Kelly hook blocked and fought for everything. The Carlow backs were rushed into everything. I think Carlow went almost 15 mins in the first half with out scoring and that was with the wind.

I heard some really good things about this Carlow team over the last few months, They beat Galway minor by 9 points a few week ago and i have to say that there Number 14 James Doyle is the biggest man i have ever seen at minor level and a good hurler as well. But they were blowing away by Offaly.

Offaly could have ended up with a few more scores Kilmartin hand passed a ball to the net and they had a few shots straight at the goalkeeper from close in. But don't mind me i just over analyzing.

the Scores for Offaly were : C Daly 3-1, D Murray 0-7 (5fs, 1 '65'), D Mahon 1-3, J Kilmartin 1-1, E Nolan (1f), J Fogarty (2fs), C Freeman 0-2 each, A Spain, D Kelly, D Doughan, P Guinan, R Hughes 0-1 each. Its taking off the Independent Website and for a change it match's what i have.

Dublin will be a tough game but Offaly have nothing to lose and if they work as hard or harder as they did on Saturday they have a real shout.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Well done to John Leahy and the lads, this seems like a good win and a lot of good signs with the team.
Beating Carlow is not something we will take for granted anymore, so credit and lets go into the Dublin game with a real apetitie for hard work and a bit of craft will get us a long way.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Great to win this game in some style.
It's about time we had some good news at this grade.
Carlow have beaten us before, so I wouldn't be dismissive of the win in any way.

It would be good to see someone like John Leahy build up his rep a bit. It might be just accidental bias, but having All Ireland medals seems to cause some coaches and managers to be over-promoted in Offaly. This can be discouraging to others who don't come from within that stable and might feel there is less value put on their input.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Interesting to see that Offaly and Dublin will toss for where the game will be played on the 4th of May , with a bit of luck it will be Birr again and we can give them a right rattle.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

We seem to have played them up there a good few times of late and yes, twould be great to have another game in Birr

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Toxcity, i think it was laois not carlow thst hurled galway. In fact i know carlow didnt hurl galway! It wouldnt be regarded as one of our better minor teams. They lads are working hard but some yrs the talent isnt what it used to be. As for james doyle, jayus he aint that big!! He was one of only 4 non kk men to appear in the leinster colleges A semis this yr though.. was chatting j leahy about 3 months ago and he reckoned your group this yr was as good as ye were last yr. Infairness ye only were narrowly beat last yr. Hope ye a good run anyhow.

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Could someone list out the team in fathers and families format?
Like this:
1 Son of
2 Nephew of
3 Brother of

So I can pass comments like;
"He runs like his father"
"He's a dirty bollix like his uncle"
"He's as yellow as his brother"

Really, I don't care so much about the players themselves.
Until they've hurled 5 years at senior inter county, they aren't entitled to an identity of their own.
This is a worthwhile initative. Could we also get some background info on the women in the family. Similar format to what BNM man has above:
1 Mother
2 Auntie
3 Sister

We could then pass comments such as:
"I shifted the face off his auld one in the Harriers one night"
"His aunty had a box on her like a bag of cats"
"His sister has seen more poles than a Morris dancer"

I mean this type of trivia needs to be catalogued somewhere.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Pure Garbage Fargo!