Minor Hurling vs Wexford

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
old yellar
All Star

Re: Minor Hurling vs Wexford

Post by old yellar »

Sur we hope to have 15 anyhow, and see how it goes.. I m sure ye ll play 13 a side if we re stuck surely?..!! Ah we re tipping away grand. Offaly would be favourites but 1/8 and 5/1 at minor level is shocking poor. I know we were beaten in the league by 10 points but we missed a penalty and our goalie dropped two clangers which he ll never drop again. Throw in a missed one on one also, and the game was tight. Missing from Offaly that night were Niall wynne, Conor Clancy, Sean gardiner- came on as a sub and Ethan mannion. We were missing 2 that ll prob be starting Tom since that match- neither figured due to injury. We ll give it a rattle. Wicklow were v poor so that wasn't a game to judge things on. I think it ll be close. Ye have good strikers of the ball and we ll have to close ye down. Ye ve a few weak spots and maybe we ll exploit them. May the best team win!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

True Red wrote:Where is that match
Carlow

Abercrombie Fitch
County player

Post by Abercrombie Fitch »

I was at the league game vs Carlow and we were far superior. The pitch had little or no grass in places and it didnt suit Offaly at all. Offaly also had a large number of wides that night and still won handy enough.
Dr Cullen will suit us though and i'd expect us to win. Offaly by 6 points plus

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

offaly 2-15 - carlow 1-6 with 15 minutes left hurling well at least we can put this carlow able to beat us to bed now :D

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Yeah best team won, no excuses. Thought we just couldn't score despite all the second half possession. A nice display by your lads. Nice forward play at times. Well done to all. Think it's Westmeath next for them. They are good. Ran Kk to 2 points today.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Mitey interest in the topic!! Just have to compliment the Offaly lads who I know who came over to chat me after the match. Gentlemen. You don't mind being beatin by lads like that. And also to the flan. First man i met outside the door. Ye have great hurling people up there, passion and pride. I love my own but I admire good people.

keenonsport
Junior A

Post by keenonsport »

Relatively good performance from the young lads. Got off to a bad start going 1-01 to 0-00 behind after only a couple of minutes. Recovered well to go in 8 points up at half time with Jason Sampson & Thomas Geraghty grabbing the goals, both after good team moves & both excellent finishes. Second half a bit of a drab affair with Offaly playing against a strong wind. Being 8 points up they seemed to take their foot off the pedal and most of the game was played down our end without Carlow ever looking like mounting a serious challenge. Forwards played very well in the first half some good link-up play and some nice scores taken. However, special mention goes to the back-line as a whole who only gave up 1-02 from play during the 60 mins. Played like modern backs should - out in front and attacking the ball. Westmeath next up in a fortnight.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Fair report. Thought we couldn't finish alright. Had 2 decent goal chances but didn't convert. That's good back play too. Think ye d want to tigthen up in a few spots as Westmeath are better than us. But ye ll give them loads of it. Prob they ll be favourites. Must be a first.

keenonsport
Junior A

Post by keenonsport »

Ya, ye probably had more than 2 a couple of last ditch hooks and blocks preventing ye're lads getting their strikes away. Ye hit a lot of bad wides in the second half aswell - from play and from placed balls. Would have been interesting to see if ye got those and reeled us in a bit what our lads response would have been. Winning the puck-outs was a problem for us in the second half, the wind affected this but the ball didn't seem to pass midfield too often. Westmeath should be a tough proposition having only lost to the Cats by a couple of points and also having a couple of goals disallowed. As far as I know we have home venue so let's hope the Co. Board/Leinster Council put it on in Birr rather than Tullamore.