Intermediate semi-finalists confirmed following weekend...

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Intermediate semi-finalists confirmed following weekend...

Post by Lone Shark »

Obviously if John Ryan was around and training he'd be an asset, but by himself I don't think he'd have been enough to have Doon in a semi final this weekend is all - I don't think that anyone could say the same about Damien Hunt is all.

John Joe moved to Enfield in Meath and I believe, suffered a very bad leg break that stopped him from playing. I'm not 100% sure on that but I know he did transfer to his new area anyway.

In terms of West Offaly generally, I suppose one difference is that the population explosion didn't happen in the area to the same extent at all. Trying to get planning around Clonmacnoise is a nightmare so there has been very little building going on in there and I believe Pullough is the same, while over towards Clonfanlough and Lower Doon (!) you're just a long way from anywhere commutable, again very little building has been going on. In terms of the clubs locally, obviously Ferbane/Belmont has pulled together the underage quite well, but yeah, the other clubs simply haven't been producing players at all. I was at the under 16 (B) final recently where Gracefield beat DER and the most worrying part wasn't the result as much as it was how few Doon lads were on the team. They simply didn't have any numbers at all. I think if they had four on the team that would be the height of it. Equally of the team that played, all the lads that stood out were Erin Rovers youngsters. That's great for Rovers and of course it's good to see them keep up the fight, but from a Doon point of view the players aren't there and it's hard to see them breaking ranks out of Intermediate without anything new coming in.

The Bridge hasn't even fielded at underage for ages, though they do have a decent under 12 outfit this year, but yeah, they need to get back to senior if only because intermediate football has a way of turning you into an intermediate team if you spend too long there. That's not to say that the Bridge didn't deserve to go down, but the standard of football in that grade is not good and as another team that has a few key players that are right on the cusp of retirement, they need to get back into the senior grade. They have had one or two youngsters that have featured on the F/B underage sides, but not enough really.

Ballycumber are the ones that are harder to figure out. They keep picking up one or two players and in fairness to them, it's not as if they've diced with relegation or anything like that. They are one of the older teams in the senior championship certainly, but I'd fancy them to hang around for a good while yet. The question there is whether "hanging around" is good enough. It's a long time to be playing decent football in patches without getting to a championship final.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TRUEGAEL
Junior A

Post by TRUEGAEL »

i think durrow will pull off a shock and beat shannonbridge raheen to beat st rynaghs and win the final

Foreign Paddy
Junior C

Post by Foreign Paddy »

@TRUE GAEL, Will hardly be a huge shock, Shannonbridge are without alot of players due to injury and the loss of Jason Kelly has really hurt them, Durrow are undefeated this year and would be hard to beat as long as the bigger stage doesn't get to them, would agree with the rest of your comment though.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

TRUEGAEL wrote:i think durrow will pull off a shock and beat shannonbridge raheen to beat st rynaghs and win the final
What I'm about to say I say with no ill will, and with an open mind - but what is the deal with everyone suddenly thinking that Raheen are a class apart in this division? It seems to be the accepted wisdom that Raheen are going to win this championship, and I simply cannot see what all the fuss is about. I know they have a decent all round team and Padraig Bracken is a huge addition from last year, but this is still the same Raheen team that from 2007 to 2009, played twelve intermediate championship games, won six, lost six and simply did not look like anything other than an average intermediate side. I accept that Edenderry, Brigids and Walsh Island stood out in intermediate football when they were there and there is no team of that calibre now, and I have no problem with the idea that this Raheen team might be narrow favourites over Rynaghs (though I think Rynaghs will beat them this weekend) and possibly even 50/50 with Shannonbridge, but that's the height of it.

Lets not forget that yes they beat Doon, but they beat Doon with Jimmy Coughlan and Declan Rohan injured. Take those two out of Doon and you're left with at best, a good junior team.

Seriously, what am I not seeing in Raheen that everyone else seems to see? And as I said, I've no dislike for the club, the couple of lads I know from over that part of the world are as sound as they come, but I just don't get it.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Foreign Paddy
Junior C

Post by Foreign Paddy »

@Lone Shark. It's not that your missing anything, yes they are the same team as past years but this year they have got the few results and they have the momentum, has far as this year has gone they are a bit ahead of Cloghan but in sayin that the hurling is over for the Cloghan boys, so they will be totally concentrating on this semi. I do fancy Raheen this year but not as clear cut winners. The other semi is 50/50, but the bridge have had alot of injuries and I just dunno where there scores are goin to come from. And on final day whoever may be in it, it's all on the day. Who do you fancy?

blue+yellow
Junior B

Post by blue+yellow »

durrow beatin us sat wud be a shock. if our lads play anywhere near their best it wil be easy win if not there wont be much in it. bridge hav been a second half team all year and are so much fitter than the other teams thats gonna be the difference.
as for where the scores will come from thats easy most of our forwards can put up a big score at this level. we hav alot of injurys and players away but our experience will be too much for durrow.
raheen will beat rynaghs and we'll be in for a really good final.

shelle
Junior C

Post by shelle »

Does anyone know when the intermediate final is pencilled in for or does today's draw have an impact on it being put back?

Foreign Paddy
Junior C

Post by Foreign Paddy »

Anyone at the games at the wkend, any reports as couldn't make either game. Who is looking the strongest?