Offaly Vs Meath this sunday

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
The Biff
All Star

Offaly Team named

Post by The Biff »

From BreakingNews.ie
http://new.breakingnews.ie/sport/mcmanu ... 58501.html

Offaly’s Ciaran McManus will take part in his 15th Championship campaign, after the Tubber clubman has been handed a midfield role for this Sunday's Leinster SFC tie against Meath at O'Moore Park (2pm).

Offaly manager Tom Cribbin has handed the 34-year-old Tubber clubman the number eight jersey, and he will partner John Coughlan at midfield.

Dublin based Coughlan, is one of two Championship debutants in the Faithful County starting line-up for the Portlaoise clash.

Rhode's Paraic Sullivan joins older brother Shane in the Offaly rear-guard, with younger brother Anton listed among the substitutes.

Coughlan, who plays his club football with St Sylvesters received permission to line out for Offaly this year, under a rule which allows Dublin born players, line out for the county of their parentage.

Meanwhile, 30-year old defender Karol Slattery will captain the Offaly team this year.

The Gracefield clubman made his Championship debut for Offaly as a substitute, in their win over then reigning All-Ireland Champions Meath in 2000.

In the Offaly attack, Niall McNamee has been hampered with a quad muscle injury of late, but has been declared fit to play.

OFFALY (Leinster SFC v Meath): Alan Mulhall; Brian Darby, Scott Brady, Paraic Sullivan; Shane Sullivan, Richie Dalton, Karol Slattery; Ciaran McManus, John Coughlan; Niall Darby, Brian Connor, Sean Ryan; Ken Casey, John Reynolds, Niall McNamee.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Re: Offaly Vs Meath this sunday

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Team announced for Sunday:

Alan Mulhall (Walsh Island);
Brian Darby (Rhode), Scott Brady (Clara), Paraic Sullivan (Rhode);
Shane Sullivan (Rhode), Richie Dalton (Edenderry), Karol Slattery (Gracefield);
Ciaran McManus (Tubber), John Coughlan (St Sylvester’s, Dublin);
Niall Darby (Rhode), Brian Connor (Walsh Island), Sean Ryan (Birr);
Ken Casey (St Brigid’s), John Reynolds (Clara), Niall McNamee (Rhode).

What do ye with more knowledge of 'd big ball' make of that?

My own limited opinion of Offaly football and of Sunday is that I don't think we're quite as bad as some of the contributors here make out. Granted, the results of the past few years have been, to put it mildly, poor. Ditto the hurlers yet the level of pessimism surrounding the footballers appears to be much, much greater. Is such despondency and lack of any hope for the future really justified? After all, good young players are coming through and most would agree that the current manager is by no means a disaster. He may even be good but whisper that, tis never a popular thing to utter.

In summary, I believe our graph for the next view years is that of an upward curve, albeit from a low base, while Meath remain a grossly overrated, overconfident team. Sunday will tell.

Offaly2010 wrote:I was in Gracefield tonight watching the lads in their last training session before Sunday's showdown with Meath.
Why do the footballers train so often in Gracefield, it's location is hardly ideal?

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Team announced for Sunday:

What do ye with more knowledge of 'd big ball' make of that?

My own limited opinion of Offaly football and of Sunday is that I don't think we're quite as bad as some of the contributors here make out. Granted, the results of the past few years have been, to put it mildly, poor. Ditto the hurlers yet the level of pessimism surrounding the footballers appears to be much, much greater. Is such despondency and lack of any hope for the future really justified? After all, good young players are coming through and most would agree that the current manager is by no means a disaster. He may even be good but whisper that, tis never a popular thing to utter.

In summary, I believe our graph for the next view years is that of an upward curve, albeit from a low base, while Meath remain a grossly overrated, overconfident team. Sunday will tell.

Offaly2010 wrote:I was in Gracefield tonight watching the lads in their last training session before Sunday's showdown with Meath.
Why do the footballers train so often in Gracefield, it's location is hardly ideal?
well they are there since the days of Tommy Lyons and the big guns of offaly club teams are all just ten mile's away Rhode, walsh island, Edenderry, Gracefield it self and
tullamore is just 15 minute's away.

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

i have high hopes for this offaly team and i think that they will give meath a good game.. i still think offaly could win..
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Team announced for Sunday:

however i must also add i wouldnt be a fan of paraic sullivan in the fullback line and i worry he will get shown up on sunday.. paraic is a more out the field player.. that said though i dont think his county standard.the only other changes i would to the starting team would be to place brian connor at midfield and not centre. ryan, darby, casey, shaper and niall all classy forwards..

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

not a bad selection , with the team beefed up a bit from last year with brady ,sullivan ,coughlan and connor ,but again, regardless of talent and skill they err on the small side and i fear ,like last year, could be playin second fiddle to, what i believe, is a powerfully built meath side.the key to winning will have to be fast ball from defence ,playing wide ,and giving our full forward line space ,with the possibility of connor playing 3rd mid fielder

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Its all on the day lads.
Meath pundits are saying the right things like "not taking Offaly for granted" etc. but lets face it, they have half an eye on Laois in the next round.
If Offaly went for the throat, they are well capable of pulling off another famous Offaly ambush!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

GreatDayForTheParish wrote: Why do the footballers train so often in Gracefield, it's location is hardly ideal?
I suppose its handier for lads coming down from Dublin after work, it also has a train station a lot of routes pass through.
They probably don't mind getting their pitch ploughed up either.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
GreatDayForTheParish wrote: Why do the footballers train so often in Gracefield, it's location is hardly ideal?
I suppose its handier for lads coming down from Dublin after work, it also has a train station a lot of routes pass through.
They probably don't mind getting their pitch ploughed up either.
i was in Gracefield the other night for the first time in year's, they have a lovely set up there and the pitch is not bad its better than a lot of
grounds around offaly my own club birr would love to have the sod they have. they looked after the under21's the other night well and a good few from
around Gracefield were at the match. they also looked after Birr in the year they trained over there before the club allIreland its a good offaly club and
anything offaly footballers ever won there was a gracefield man on the team. they brought the first leinster club title back to offaly as well they had a great
side back in the 70s hear a few tales they were a club you wouldn't mess with back then .

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Published: Friday, 21st May, 2010 9:43am
Meath senior team to face Offaly

Caoimhin King returns to the Meath team for Sunday's Leinster SFC clash with Offaly at Portlaoise.

Meath manager Eamonn O'Brien has sprung a number of surprises in his selection to face Offaly in Sunday's Leinster SFC opener at Portlaoise.

Caoimhin King has been handed a start in his regular wing back position, with O'Mahonys Gary O'Brien occupying the other wing back role. There is also room for St Colmcille's Graham Reilly who impressed throughout a dour league campaign.

A fresh injury picked up by Kevin Reilly has ruled the Navan O'Mahonys man out of contention, so the full-back spot will be filled by Anthony Moyles. Longwood's Michael Burke will operate from centre-back with Peadar Byrne and Brian Farrell having to settle for a place on the bench.

Meath - Paddy O'Rourke; Chris O'Connor, Anthony Moyles, Eoghan Harrington; Gary O'Brien, Michael Burke, Caoimhin King; Nigel Crawford, Mark Ward; Seamus Kenny, Joe Sheridan, Graham Reilly; Cian Ward, Shane O'Rourke, Stephen Bray.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Because my son's Hurling Team is playing a match at 12 noon on Sunday, and it's bound to run late, I know I'll be racing to get to this in Portlaoise on time, if at all. And I reckon most of the Royals will be coming down the Dublin Road from the same direction as myself. :? Soooooooo .......

Anyone got any tips on how to get up close-ish to O'Moore Park? Are there any little gems of short-cuts? I dont want to have to park back near the Motorway as I might have the young lad with me and he wont walk as fast as I might like to. :(

I looked at Google Maps and was wondering about the road labelled "New Road" and "Timohaun Road". Is there any way to get across from it to the big pitch? Portlaoise Golf CLub is there in the middle but I'd even try carrying a 7-Iron and wear tartan trousers to look the part, if it might save a some time. :idea:

Or am I at nothin' ! :wink:
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

I'd chance the motorway all the way to the Abbeyleeks Road roundabout where the hotel is.
You won't get held up at any stage before that.
Then its a matter of seeing how far in that road you can get before you hit the line of cars parked up. If you're lucky, you'll only be 5 minutes walk from the ground.

There would probably also be paid parking closer in, just before the ground. I'm sure a Garda on duty will tell you, providing he doesn't recognise you and arrest you! The worst route for traffic and hold ups in Portlaoise is always coming in the N80 Tullamore end of the town on match day.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

The Biff wrote:Because my son's Hurling Team is playing a match at 12 noon on Sunday, and it's bound to run late, I know I'll be racing to get to this in Portlaoise on time, if at all. And I reckon most of the Royals will be coming down the Dublin Road from the same direction as myself. :? Soooooooo .......

Anyone got any tips on how to get up close-ish to O'Moore Park? Are there any little gems of short-cuts? I dont want to have to park back near the Motorway as I might have the young lad with me and he wont walk as fast as I might like to. :(

I looked at Google Maps and was wondering about the road labelled "New Road" and "Timohaun Road". Is there any way to get across from it to the big pitch? Portlaoise Golf CLub is there in the middle but I'd even try carrying a 7-Iron and wear tartan trousers to look the part, if it might save a some time. :idea:

Or am I at nothin' ! :wink:
well if your coming from dublin direction head straight into portlaoise town take a left after the round about and go out the carlow road go straight out that road and head
for timahoe road go bye the new portlaoise football field it will be on your left as you drive bye it turn right then about a mile down the road it will bring you at the back of the shopping
centre drive straight up to the kyle shopping centre ken blacks will be on your right take a left there go straight up that road you might get parking there. its about five minutes walk
from there theres a walk way that will bring you out at the ESB building you know yourself when get there. you will avoid the town and the meath cars coming in from the motorway .
just don't forget to take the first turn off for portlaoise on the motorway i used that way going to matches.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Bord na Mona man wrote:I'd chance the motorway all the way to the Abbeyleeks Road roundabout where the hotel is.
You won't get held up at any stage before that.
Then its a matter of seeing how far in that road you can get before you hit the line of cars parked up. If you're lucky, you'll only be 5 minutes walk from the ground.

There would probably also be paid parking closer in, just before the ground. I'm sure a Garda on duty will tell you, providing he doesn't recognise you and arrest you! The worst route for traffic and hold ups in Portlaoise is always coming in the N80 Tullamore end of the town on match day.
Thats not a bad way either but if your running late thats will be a no go there will be cones all along that road plus you will be only driving into traffic
and the garda will just move you back into the town to park. got caught that way two years ago going to laois offaly football game coming from a wedding in cork
was late as well. plus alot of the louth and longford crowd will be there park up as well.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Coughlan puts Faith in Offaly

http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaelic-footb ... 89146.html

By Conor McKeon

Friday May 21 2010

ANY fairweather Offaly football fans planning to make their seasonal debut in Portlaoise this Sunday might be left checking their Faithful county geography when they glance at Tom Cribbin's team sheet and spot the club of newbie midfielder, John Coughlan.

No, St Sylvester's isn't some obscure junior club somewhere in the midlands, it's the Malahide-based Dublin AFL Division 1 club.

And Coughlan -- who makes his Championship bow in the Offaly engine room on Sunday against Meath -- is the former minor and U21 Dublin prodigy and senior panel member who this year completed an intercounty transfer to the land of his father.

"A couple of years ago, I got a phone call but I was still involved in Dublin so it wasn't an option," explains Coughlan of the move. "But over the past couple of years, I haven't been involved so Tom (Cribbin) approached me. I was very interested. There's a great tradition in Offaly football. I grabbed the chance to play. I was happy to get the offer and I took it with both hands."

A nephew of Eugene Coughlan -- an All-Ireland hurling medalist with Offaly in 1981 and 1985 -- John and his brother, Niall, both accepted the offer of intercounty football and, after a smattering of impressive league appearances, John has nailed down a midfield berth to face -- of all teams -- Meath.

Coughlan brushes off any significance of the identity of Sunday's opposition, though accepts the quirk in the twist of fate.

"Being a Dub, some people might build it up," he acknowledges, "but I'm just delighted to be getting the opportunity to play intercounty football. To be honest, I've always wanted to play at this level so whether it's Meath or someone else, I'll be focusing the same way and getting the mind right regardless of which county it's against."

Nor does he feel like an outsider in his new environs.

"Very welcoming," he responds to a query about the reception from the rest of the Offaly panel. "From the first day myself and Niall headed down the lads were very welcoming. We just tried to keep the head down and do the hard work. Hopefully it will pay off for us at the weekend."

Coughlan accepts that Offaly are coming into this game from a far less lofty perch than Sunday's opponents and accepts that Eamonn O'Brien's Royal County side are favourites.

"They've had some great runs in the past few years in the back door," he says. "Two All-Ireland semi-finals is very good going. They've come up against Dublin who have gone on to win Leinsters. But yeah, Meath are a solid side. I would have played with Cian Ward, Jamie Queeney, Mickey Burke in DIT so I know how good they are.

"But I think it's something we have -- belief. A lot of these guys are top footballers. They believe in themselves and we're well capable of putting a performance together on the day.

"Hopefully, we'll do it on Sunday against Meath. Tradition-wise, down through the years, they don't fear any side and that should stand to us on Sunday."

As for his intention beyond this year, Coughlan is adamant that he has signed up on a long-term basis.

"I can't see myself turning back," he says. "I'm an Offaly player now.

"I'm really enjoying the time here and I can see a long future here for me."

Bord na Mona man
All Star

A blast from the past

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/columnists ... 87130.html

By Frank Roche

Thursday May 20 2010

Sunday's Royal rumble with Offaly may not thrill on paper -- but Faithful's ambushes in late '90s were another story MEATH and Offaly will get down and dirty in O'Moore Park this Sunday. The counties haven't clashed in SFC combat for 10 years and the rest of us have scarcely bemoaned the fact. Harsh but true.

The reason is obvious. Meath have been a pale shadow of their once-regal selves since last contesting an All-Ireland final in 2001. Offaly, meanwhile, have nearly disappeared off the provincial radar.

Yet those of us without Royal blood or Faithful forebears should pause before we pillory. There was a time when Meath-Offaly was a major event with national ramifications. We're talking about that brief epoch between 1997 and 2000 when the counties collided, four summers running, and everyone else sat up and took notice.

AMBUSHES

This period was bookended by two famous Offaly ambushes: Meath dreams of defending their All-Ireland crown were sunk (without trace of a back door escape) in both the 1997 Leinster final and a provincial quarter-final three years later.

In between, though, Seán Boylan's men reigned supreme, beating Offaly by 12 points in '98 and by seven a year later. The latter campaign culminated in Meath landing their seventh All-Ireland crown, and last to date.

Whatever happens on Sunday, no one expects either side to be hanging around next September. That may seem overly dismissive of a Meath squad who have taken the scenic route to two All-Ireland semi-finals in the past three seasons; less so when you consider their tame last-four exits to Cork and Kerry.

The bookies concur: Meath are 50/1 outsiders for Sam, Offaly a distant 300/1. Even in the provincial stakes, you will find Meath third in the pecking order (at 13/2) with Offaly way down at 66/1.

Where, you wonder, has it all gone so wrong?

Finbarr Cullen, victorious Offaly captain in '97, harks back to Offaly's last Leinster final appearance in 2006 -- a nine-point defeat to Dublin.

"We reached a Leinster final under Kevin Kilmurray and never progressed after that," he laments.

"We had changes of management too often, and Offaly players have to look at themselves as well.

"There was an issue with the commitment of some players, but that's not there at the moment. Tom Cribbin is happy with the group of players and they're working very hard," states Cullen.

Donal Curtis, who established himself as a regular Royal starter from '97, is well placed to measure Meath's current state of health -- he's a selector under Eamonn O'Brien.

He accepts criticism that Meath aren't the force of old as "very fair because we have won nothing".

STARTING POINT

But he adds: "I think we are definitely making progress. The two All-Ireland semi-final (campaigns) have been good. Maybe we haven't got much credit; it's up to us to prove we are better than that. To try and win Leinster would be a starting point."

Back in '97 conquering Leinster may have seemed just the start of an awfully big Offaly adventure.

"We came from nowhere," Cullen recalls. "We had a good league run that year. It was Tommy Lyons's first year and he put a huge emphasis on fitness.

"We definitely went beyond our expectations, but we also worked very, very hard," he adds.

"We played great football -- and then ran into Mayo in an All-Ireland semi-final and had no plan B.

"We had an excellent full-forward line, and the Mayo boys closed us down and we were not able to get it into them properly.

"The semi-final came very quickly because of all the replays (between Meath and Kildare) ... we needed some time to get our heads around it."

For Cullen, usurping the Royals in 2000 was "almost as sweet" as the Leinster final victory of August 16, 1997.

A mere 21,359 turned up in Croke Park that afternoon -- proof, he suggests, that Offaly fans didn't expect much and Meath supporters didn't rate the opposition.

"Maybe Meath started to believe how bad we were going, and we definitely caught them on the hop," the Edenderry man concludes.

Cullen spies hope in that precedent because, as in 2000, Offaly enter the Championship "on the back of an average league with nothing to lose".

He fears Meath's greater experience and physicality. Yet the pressure is all on them -- "an ideal situation for Offaly".

As befits a current Meath selector, Curtis pleads caution. "We always keep saying about Offaly, they are a very proud county and they won't fear us," he warns.

fancied

Harking back to his own playing days, he name checks the greats on that Meath team (Trevor Giles, John McDermott, Darren Fay, Graham Geraghty, etc) to underline how they always fancied they could beat anyone between '96 and '01.

So what went wrong against Offaly -- twice?

In '97, Curtis cites Offaly's hunger, their progress under Lyons, their inside forwards, and one other obvious factor: Meath's three-match semi-final trilogy yielding suspensions for Geraghty, Fay and Mark O'Reilly, even before Martin O'Connell fell prey to injury.

"The Kildare games proved very costly. We ended up with, I think, 18 fit players for the final," he points out.

As for 2000, he can cite another Geraghty suspension whereas Offaly can counter that they were similarly deprived of Ciarán McManus.

Curtis then pinpoints another "huge advantage: their manager that year was Pádraig Nolan, who had coached a lot of us in St Pat's (of Navan)".

"They really closed down Trevor that day -- that's the one thing that really stands out for me."

Only in the past week, Curtis tuned into the video of that 2000 match and was struck by "some of the tackles"; how both teams "went hammer and tongs" for the ball. If it happened today, he surmised, you could have 10 lads sent off.

You ask: that many? To which he replies: "I'm sure there would be yellow cards given out for the first tackle, and you wouldn't get the same commitment then after.

"I think it's amazing the way the game is going ... it has really, to quote Joe Brolly, been sanitised."