Decision time for West Offaly Lions

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
backofthenet
All Star

Re: Decision time for West Offaly Lions

Post by backofthenet »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
durra1 wrote:Interesting one…

Will this carry to St. Sarans in at School level?

I’d be fairly strict on adherence to provincial boundaries. CCR Roscrea have always played in the Leinster schools rugby and hurling competitions as they are just on the ‘Skenagh side of Roscrea.

I see the point re: Buccs / Connacht branch and the support Ferbane have got from both down through the years but at the end of the day, Offaly is in Leinster.

Could we ever see the GAA Ard Comhairle adopt a strong line on county boundaries?

It enrages me to drive through Moneygall/Dunkerrin and see Tipp flags flying in the Summer – to the point of boycotting every shop in the place.

They should competing in the Offaly Championship and there should be no such ambiguity as exists in the present status quo.

If it meant ceding possession of Carrig and our loyal servant Ger then so be it!

We could stage an Anschluss of Moneygall and Dunkerrin. I think we’d need to reinstate Brendan Ward and his ‘‘fight tooth and nail “ policy as our Dear Leader.

Tony Murphy has got Neville Chamberlain style appeasement written all over him. He was quare watery on Birr-Crinkle-gate.

Once Moneygall/Dunkerrin is re-assimilated into the motherland, we could then acquire more Lebensraum for the Supreme Faithful by annexing Toomeveara.

Surely we’d pick up about another 8 county panelists by then and our ‘small pick’ problem would be solved forever. :D
Agreed, Offaly should get back Moneygall and Dunkerrin, even though they are rubbish at hurling and most of the people down there think they are Tipperary folk.
I'd leave the hatchet men of Toomevara where they are though! :P
Thats an interesting comment bord na mona man, but having played with them in roscrea for years i can tell you you are wrong, they would be a very welcome addition to the offaly county championship and would certainly be semi finalists going on their team at the moment. Also most of the lads from there are actually offaly people and can be met at many an offaly game during the summer!!! I would also believe they would have 2 or 3 county panelists, and those two or three can make all the difference.

I doubt it will happen as there would probably be a bit of opposition to it but If I was the county board I would be doing everything in my power to make it happen.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Any word on how the meeting went?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Obviously they voted 'yay' - this is taken from the official Leinster website.
West Offaly Lions are also transferring next season from Connacht where they won the Junior 1B League last year. In light of this achievement, which would have qualified them for the AIL qualifying league in Connacht, they have been entered in Division 1B of the Leinster League. There will now be nine teams in Div 1B for 2010-11.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I notice that "Midland Warriors" from Moate have also entered a team in the Leinster adult league. They made the move from Connacht to Leinster last year.
Is there a big enough pool of adult players in the area to make these teams feasible?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Bord na Mona man wrote:I notice that "Midland Warriors" from Moate have also entered a team in the Leinster adult league. They made the move from Connacht to Leinster last year.
Is there a big enough pool of adult players in the area to make these teams feasible?
I wouldn't say that finding players is a problem, but that's a very good league that the Lions have just gone into. I'm not sure how players might feel about it, but to this untrained eye, Leinster 1B looks like a huge ask.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Leinster 1B looks like a huge ask
I have a feeling you could be bang on there LS.

They are going to in a League grouping with some very seasoned and experienced clubs. Teams like Monkstown,Portlaoise,Enniscorthy,Garda RFC and Wicklow are all top Junior sides in the Leinster League.

Best of luck to them anyways.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

West Offaly Lions 3 23 New Ross Gallen Community School, Ferbane
I'm not sure how players might feel about it, but to this untrained eye, Leinster 1B looks like a huge ask.
WOL are probably still assimilating players back from Ferbane GAA etc but the above result from yesterday shows that Lone Shark's words could begin to ring through. A 20 point defeat at home to a New Ross side who would be contenders for Top 4 in that division is no disgrace but there are no easy games at that level and home games are vital.

I am sure however that once they get more lads back into the fold and training regularly results should pick up.

biffogaa
Junior C

Post by biffogaa »

i was just browsing the forum and saw this on the first page and had to register to post on this topic.

the reason there was an issue with WOL having to move to Leinster, and the reason a number of clubs sent objections to the IRFU, is because Athlone were using them to poach players who live in Leinster. Through WOL Athlone were sending people to schools in Leinster areas where players would have traditionally gone to play for birr or tullamore in leinster and as a result were signing up a lot of the Leinster based youngsters in the area. WOL may consider themselves to be Connaught but Clara, Cloghan, Kilcormac etc etc are most certainly not and are certainly not fair game for Athlone to come in and take players away from Leinster.

With regard going into Division 1B and whether it was too high a standard for them, as far as I'm aware that WOL actually intended on going into the 1A in Leinster as they were in the equivalent in Connaught. Obviously they didn't realise the HUGE difference in standards between the provinces as their run of results in 1B thus far proves.

But anyway just needed to clear that up, as any outsider looking at this particular topic would believe WOL are somehow the victim and were bullied into joining Leinster :?

biffogaa
Junior C

Post by biffogaa »

i was just browsing the forum and saw this on the first page and had to register to post on this topic.

the reason there was an issue with WOL having to move to Leinster, and the reason a number of clubs sent objections to the IRFU, is because Athlone were using them to poach players who live in Leinster. Through WOL Athlone were sending people to schools in Leinster areas where players would have traditionally gone to play for birr or tullamore in leinster and as a result were signing up a lot of the Leinster based youngsters in the area. WOL may consider themselves to be Connaught but Clara, Cloghan, Kilcormac etc etc are most certainly not and are certainly not fair game for Athlone to come in and take players away from Leinster.

With regard going into Division 1B and whether it was too high a standard for them, as far as I'm aware that WOL actually intended on going into the 1A in Leinster as they were in the equivalent in Connaught. Obviously they didn't realise the HUGE difference in standards between the provinces as their run of results in 1B thus far proves.

But anyway just needed to clear that up, as any outsider looking at this particular topic would believe WOL are somehow the victim and were bullied into joining Leinster :?