Athlone I.T. - Offaly players to the fore

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Athlone I.T. - Offaly players to the fore

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Lone Shark wrote:Ciarán Mac won one with UCD in 1996 - that line about him winning in 1976 would be a misprint.
No misprint, McManus spent several decades in UCD!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Lone Shark wrote: I'd reckon that Brendan Murphy would have been on the UCD team in 2001, but I'd be open to correction on that.
2000 - according to a Damian Lawlor article, which would never be gospel.

"Still, Murphy learned the game, applied himself well and won a Fitzgibbon Cup and Leinster under-21 title in 2000, the same year he made his debut for the Offaly seniors under Pat Fleury. The speedy wing-forward seized his chance and 19 championship games and 9-29 later, that wonderful season remains his best. "

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
Lone Shark wrote: I'd reckon that Brendan Murphy would have been on the UCD team in 2001, but I'd be open to correction on that.

"Still, Murphy learned the game, applied himself well and won a Fitzgibbon Cup and Leinster under-21 title in 2000, the same year he made his debut for the Offaly seniors under Pat Fleury. The speedy wing-forward seized his chance and 19 championship games and 9-29 later, that wonderful season remains his best. "
WIT beat them in the 2000 Final I'm fairly sure. Wikipedia backs me up, but then wikipedia and Damien Lawlor, it could be wrong either way - or both.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Lone Shark wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:

WIT beat them in the 2000 Final I'm fairly sure. Wikipedia backs me up, but then wikipedia and Damien Lawlor, it could be wrong either way - or both.
I'd trust a wikipedia page edited by a drunk than any 'stat' from Damian Lawlor.
He struggles to even get basics right like All Ireland winners in the last 10 years.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Yeah brendan murphy played in the fitzgibbon winning team for UCD in 2001 which was captained by a David Hegarty from Clare.He started corner fwd and they beat UCC after a replay.

As as another poster correctly stated a Henry Shefflin inspired WIT did indeed beat UCD in 2000 which Murphy started corner fwd in as well.There was also a Michael Lyons in goal,a Cathal Murphy at corner back and a Noel Murphy at centre fwd all from Offaly?

What club men would these guys be?

And to add to the list of Fitzgibbon winners - Joe Brady and Damien Murray won medals in 2003 with WIT.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Bord na Mona man
All Star

True Red wrote:Yeah brendan murphy played in the fitzgibbon winning team for UCD in 2001 which was captained by a David Hegarty from Clare.He started corner fwd and they beat UCC after a replay.

As as another poster correctly stated a Henry Shefflin inspired WIT did indeed beat UCD in 2000 which Murphy started corner fwd in as well.There was also a Michael Lyons in goal,a Cathal Murphy at corner back and a Noel Murphy at centre fwd all from Offaly?

What club men would these guys be?
The Murphy twins Cathal and Noel are brothers of Brendan and were panelists in 1998.
Michael Lyons is St Rynagh's.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Wasn't there somebody on a WIT winning team. Kevin Brady maybe?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

corner back wrote:Wasn't there somebody on a WIT winning team. Kevin Brady maybe?
Kevin Brady and Daniel Hoctor in 2006:
http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/20 ... 510106.asp