Football Draw

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Square Cab
Intermediate

Re: Football Draw

Post by Square Cab »

Whats going on with football in Edenderry? Both teams in a relegation battle. Its not good for Offaly football when you have one of your main towns struggling so badly. Yes soccer is strong in the town but that cant fully explain why they're in this situation.

offalyfan2085
Junior C

Post by offalyfan2085 »

Who does everyone think will go down? Given the bridge's display on Sunday, reckon they have to be favourites? But Edenderry and Gracefield not up to much either.......... Any chance of Gracefield or Shannonbridge getting their NY players back in time? Altho assume those guys are gone over long term?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Square Cab wrote:Whats going on with football in Edenderry? Both teams in a relegation battle. Its not good for Offaly football when you have one of your main towns struggling so badly. Yes soccer is strong in the town but that cant fully explain why they're in this situation.
Its not good at all. The 2nd biggest town in the county and with a good history of football but the lack of representation with Offaly teams since Finbar Cullen and Peter Bradys days is alarming. Soccer is big in the town but I don't believe they are missing out on players due to soccer. Word this year was that the Reds attitude early on was poor and despite a high profile manager the were getting 7 or 8 at training up to May (I'm open to correction on this....its just what I heard). One thing I know for sure is that there is huge work being done at underage level in the town (both football and hurling) from u-8 up. So I wouldn't worry about them they will come good in a few years. In fact keep an eye on the Edenderry hurlers this year (I expect them to win the junior championship). Look Its not all about the size of an area...look at Dublin and the population they have and the lack of senior success!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

offalyfan2085 wrote:Who does everyone think will go down? Given the bridge's display on Sunday, reckon they have to be favourites? But Edenderry and Gracefield not up to much either.......... Any chance of Gracefield or Shannonbridge getting their NY players back in time? Altho assume those guys are gone over long term?
As far as I know the lads are over there on sixty day sanctions, so chances are we won't be seeing them again. Certainly based on form Shannonbridge are the obvious candidates, however they are a stubborn breed over there and they'll have known deep down that this was likely all year - I'm guessing that Edenderry and Gracefield won't have been planning for a relegation scrap.

I think if Shannonbridge had Edenderry first up, they might have caught them on the hop - as it is, I'd expect Edenderry to survive. Gracefield appear to have been competitive enough against Clara and based on that, they should be the ones topping the round robin.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Veteran
Junior C

Post by Veteran »

As far as I know the lads are over there on sixty day sanctions, so chances are we won't be seeing them again. Certainly based on form Shannonbridge are the obvious candidates, however they are a stubborn breed over there and they'll have known deep down that this was likely all year - I'm guessing that Edenderry and Gracefield won't have been planning for a relegation scrap.

I agree with you shark, Shannonbridge are the obvious candidates to go down and i hear that training is not going well at all. However they have proved in the past that they are capable of pulling out big performances when needed, and i'm not to sure that Edenderry will be relishing playing them.

summerbreeze
Junior B

Post by summerbreeze »

For a change its a nice time to be a ferbane supporter.. The flags are flying in the town, and there is a good buzz about the place. The seniors are through to the quarter finals, the juniors are through topping their group on the way, the junior c's are on a winning way,and the hurlers are doing well too. :)

I know its a LONG way from the success of the past, and still a long way to improve on the standards where we should be, but still credit where credit is due to the lads for the commitment along the way!Considering they were in a relegation battle last year in the seniors its a step in the right direction. :mrgreen: