Football 1st round qualifier draw

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
turk
All Star

Re: Football 1st round qualifier draw

Post by turk »

black and red exile wrote:Sorry, I forgot about a team on my list of horrible draws, WEXFORD[WEXFORD PARK] YUK, remember 2004 and the Matty Ford show, also I think we all have had our fill of Wexford Park this year.

Gott in Himmel!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

black and red exile wrote:Sorry, I forgot about a team on my list of horrible draws, WEXFORD[WEXFORD PARK] YUK, remember 2004 and the Matty Ford show, also I think we all have had our fill of Wexford Park this year.
Damn right.
Looks like we'll to choose hurling of football again this year?
Wexford have a home hurling qualifier.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Does the promise of a home football fixture for Offaly against Wexford apply in this case?
When Offaly got drawn away to Wexford in hurling, it was on the understanding that if they met in the football, it would be Tullamore.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Bord na Mona man wrote:Does the promise of a home football fixture for Offaly against Wexford apply in this case?
When Offaly got drawn away to Wexford in hurling, it was on the understanding that if they met in the football, it would be Tullamore.
That applied to championship "proper" only. The "Qualifiers" is a first out of the hat basis for home advantage. But who cares....these qualifiers have ruined the championships (both county and club). They only help the big counties like Kerry....its a waste of time and money for the rest.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Need to read the small print on the agreement. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

If a qualifier isn't "Championship proper" then I don't know what is. This is knockout football, unlike the provincial championshiop which only designates the seedings for the All-Ireland championships.

Football qualifiers are on Satirday 4th July. Wexford v Limerick in the SHC is on Saturday 11th, so Wexford v Offaly wouldn't be part of a Wexford Park double header in any event.
bracknaghboy wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:Does the promise of a home football fixture for Offaly against Wexford apply in this case?
That applied to championship "proper" only. The "Qualifiers" is a first out of the hat basis for home advantage. But who cares....these qualifiers have ruined the championships (both county and club). They only help the big counties like Kerry....its a waste of time and money for the rest.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Need to read the small print on the agreement. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

If a qualifier isn't "Championship proper" then I don't know what is. This is knockout football, unlike the provincial championshiop which only designates the seedings for the All-Ireland championships.

Football qualifiers are on Satirday 4th July. Wexford v Limerick in the SHC is on Saturday 11th, so Wexford v Offaly wouldn't be part of a Wexford Park double header in any event.
I hadn't copped that Wexford's hurling qualifier is a week later.
Any chance of Cork agreeing to play on a Sunday, if Offaly are forced to go to Wexford Park on the Saturday?

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Anthony Davis said that we were the worst team, is he right, I thought that Wexford were very poor against Kildare, in that Kildare did not seem to have improved from the Offaly game. If Offaly have trained hard (which i've heard that they have) and management pick the best team, then Offaly should beat the yellow bellies even in Wexford Park.
Be careful out their

Dynamo
Junior C

Post by Dynamo »

Some of them were training hard Sat night knocking back pints in Tullamore anyway. You have to hand it to them, a real dedicated bunch when it comes to county.

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

Dynamo wrote:Some of them were training hard Sat night knocking back pints in Tullamore anyway. You have to hand it to them, a real dedicated bunch when it comes to county.
They must have been warming down then in Loughreys Sunday night. Offaly football is a joke. Sooner they get hammered and knocked out down in Wexford the better. Get back to the club championhsip and then we'll see the real Niall McNamee, Shane Sullivan, Neville Coughlan, etc. Oooooh there's a free tracksuit lads, ooh nd your picture in the paper.. that lads on the county panel is he? Complete farce.. I wouldnt travel down to Wexford Park if you paid for the whole weekend. Can anybody seriously tell me there's ever been a worse Offaly team? Ever?.

PS: This nonsence of having a nobody from Kildare in charge of our county team is a laugh. Does he seriously give a shit how much Kildare beat us by. No he doesnt. Put Darby in charge of the team. At least we know he wants to win for Offaly. Whos knows what GI Joe on the sideline wants. Ken Casey wing back Shane Sullivan wing forward! Oh god oh god.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I wouldnt travel down to Wexford Park if you paid for the whole weekend.
Sing it brother............ :lol:

Mr Faithful
Junior B

Post by Mr Faithful »

Well lads what do we think of the draws for the hurling & football. I think the football will be a tough draw, going to wexford park is not easy, like we said earlier we remember 2004 there. But in saying all that I think we still have a realistic chance of coming away with a result. Can we break the hoodo of the qualifiers for once. Did anyone here did the team play any more challenge games since.
Our hurlers have the toughest task in front of them, but a home draw will help. Cork are not the team of old, will the fire in the belly of the offaly team be enough, we gave limerick & waterford great games over the last 2yrs, it could be a turning point for this team.
Im disappointed the games are on the same day, its always the same for us, pity we didnt have 2 home games. Any opinions on how we will fair out.
Mr Faithful

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Footballers played Carlow and were beaten. I went to Wexford for the hurling, and Portlaoise for the football. On the basis of what ive seen, its year over for me lads, sorry!!!Good luck to the minors on Saturday.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Anthony Davis said that we were the worst team, is he right, I thought that Wexford were very poor against Kildare, in that Kildare did not seem to have improved from the Offaly game.
Offaly :oops: , Wexford and The Rossies currently the worst in the championship. Teams like Carlow,Waterford and Wicklow all showed a bit of fight in their encounters.