Trouble brewing in Offaly?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Re: Trouble brewing in Offaly?

Post by DD »

bracknaghboy wrote:Nobody will have any sympathy for us. We have always been seen as a proud county who never gave up and fought to the end. Now we willl be seen as a bunch of whinging good for nothings that want to blame everything and anyone for our dire displays. I hated every minute of Pat Roes spell as manager however if one thinks back to the spineless display against Down then you realise it was the players not giving 100% that led to the embaressment. Some of these players want all the glory and are not willing to put their neck on the line for it. Doesnt matter who is over the team players should run themselves til they cant run no more for 70 mins for the GREEN WHITE and GOLD. This has not been happening of late and that explains the results.
There's no doubt that the players have underperformed and need to take a good long look at themselves, however I've yet to see a team perform at any level/any sport when the manger has lost the players.
Players and management obviously don't need to be the best of mates (better if they're not actually) but there has to be repsect - Eugene Magee didn't get on with a number of members of his teams but his players still performed for him (and for Offaly). If the current panel members are disillusioned with the current (and previous) set up, it is highly unlikely they are going to be as well prepared, physically and mentally to allow them perform at the level they need to. Expecting lads to be completely self motivated is naiive and ridiculous, players need to be well managed, prepared and motivated by a coach/manager they can respect. I wouldn't be letting them off the hook completely but I wouldn't be completely condemning them either..