Richie Connor - Interesting reading!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Over The Black Spot
County player

Re: Richie Connor - Interesting reading!

Post by Over The Black Spot »

While I only the facts as conveyed by the journalists/reporters and we know what they can amount to at times (no offence to LS or POTH), it is quite a worrying development to say the least.

Call me sensationalist or reactionary or whatever but, does something like this question Richies ability to do the job and also his motivation for taking on the job in the first place? I don't know Richie and wouldn't like to put any slur on his character but would like to know the opinions of those more in the know up in the northern end of the county.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

Over The Black Spot wrote:
Call me sensationalist or reactionary or whatever but, does something like this question Richies ability to do the job and also his motivation for taking on the job in the first place? .
This case highlights the fact, which was clear all along, that his appointment in the first place reeked of 'political influence'.

Interesting that the article in yesterdays paper makes no mention of Connor's partner, Killaly and his background. I thought two failed attempts at Dail Eireann elections for the Fianna Fail party would have merited inclusion. Also the fact the he was probably chairman of the OY County Council when these land transactions were carried out.

Perhaps as part of the training regime for the coming months Connor could get the lads to do the block work on the hotel they failed to finish building in Edenderry. :D :D :D :D
Contae an Riogh

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Not really a lot that can be said yet, except that this thing is going to drag on for another while. I think it's safe to say that our manager will still have a lot on his mind for a good while to come.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 20519.html

'Stalling-type defence' criticised

MARY CAROLAN

A HIGH Court judge has described as “a typical stalling-type defence” that advanced by Co Offaly Fianna Fáil councillor Gerard Killally and auctioneer Richard Connor, manager of the Co Offaly senior GAA football team, against allegations that they made “secret profits” of several million euro from a number of land deals in Co Offaly.

Mr Justice Peter Kelly said yesterday the defence submitted on behalf of Mr Killally and Mr Connor, practising as Gerad Killally Auctioneers, was “not in acceptable form” for Commercial Court proceedings.

He said the defence involved a traverse – blanket denial – of all the claims against them, and this was “of no assistance” to the court in identifying the issues in the proceedings against both men.

The judge said the court required to know what the issues were before a trial and before discovery issues were dealt with. However, this defence was a “typical stalling-type defence” and he would not let the case advance on that basis.

Instead, the judge directed that a procedure involving sworn answers to specific questions – interrogaries – should be followed in the proceedings. When those sworn answers were received, the issues in the case and the “true defence” would be much clearer and the parties would also be able to see what discovery was required, he said.

He directed that process should begin, and adjourned the proceedings for five weeks to facilitate it.

The case was admitted to the Commercial Court last October when Mr Justice Kelly noted it involved “serious allegations”.

Three businessmen – Adrian Daly, Racefield House, Cappincur, Tullamore; Declan Guing, Carrick Road, Edenderry and Frank Lawlor, Clonmullen Lodge, Edenderry – initiated the action over partnerships formed between various combinations of the sides to acquire lands and deal in lands.

It is claimed the defendants introduced the respective partnerships to the deals, acted as negotiators and agents for the partnerships and made secret profits from deals not disclosed to the partnerships.

The plaintiffs are seeking damages for alleged negligence, misrepresentation, breach of duty, breach of contract and also want an inquiry for damages for alleged unjust enrichment.

One of the claims relates to the Daingean Road Partnership formed in 2005 between Mr Guing, Mr Lawlor and the defendants to acquire and deal in lands at Cappincur, Tullamore. It is claimed the partnership was to acquire those lands for €6.5 million from another party and this was the best price available.

It is claimed the defendants did not disclose they had an interest in the transaction and concealed the true nature of the transaction. A series of secret transactions were procured by the defendants whereby the lands were first sold for €5 million, leaving the defendants making a secret profit of €1.5 million, it is alleged.

In separate proceedings last month, Mr Killally and his wife were ordered by Mr Justice Kelly to repay commercial loans totalling some €2.6 million to Bank of Ireland. The order was against Mr Killally and his wife Naomi, of Shean, Edenderry, who were separately represented.

Bernard Donleavy, for Ms Killally, said his client believed the debt was overstated by some €250,000. Noting the amount sought by the bank was some €2.9 million and that it was entitled, if it chose, to apply for a money judgment, the judge entered judgment against the Killallys in the sum of €2.6 million. He adjourned to later this month the hearing of the dispute over whether the remaining monies up to €300,000 were owed. The bank had claimed the loans were advanced to purchase commercial properties and to refinance existing facilities.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Call it a hunch but I'm guessing that our county board executives are slightly relieved now that the players took the action that they did. It wouldn't be a pleasant situation to be in now if Connor was still in charge. Perhaps I'm a little naive, but surely his position would have been untenable now anyway after conceding guilt on this issue.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0220/offaly.html

Two men have been ordered by the High Court not to reduce the value of their assets to below €8m pending a ruling next Monday in a legal row over secret profits alleged to have made by them from a number of land deals.

The court heard that former Offaly Fianna Fáil Councillor Gerard Killally and his business partner Richard Connor, a former GAA football manager, have now admitted that they received profits on two land deals totalling €3.5m which were not disclosed to other individuals in the partnerships. Mr Justice Peter Kelly said the defendents had 'admitted wrong-doing and dishonesty of a high order'. However, he said he would delay his judgment on the issue until Monday to allow both defendents an opportunity to challenge the order.

Three Offaly men - Adrian Daly, Declan Guing and Frank Lawlor - brought the case over partnerships formed between various combinations of the sides to acquire and deal in lands. It is claimed the defendants introduced the respective partnerships to the deals, acted as negotiators and agents for the partnerships and made secret profits from deals which were not disclosed to the partnerships. One of the claims relates to the Daingean Road Partnership formed in 2005 between Mr Guing, Mr Lawlor and the defendants to acquire and deal in lands at Cappincur, Tullamore.

It is claimed the partnership was to acquire those lands for €6.5m from another party and this was the best price available.

It is claimed the defendants did not disclose they had an interest in the transaction and concealed the true nature of the transaction.

A series of secret transactions was procured by the defendants whereby the lands were first sold for €5m, leaving the defendants making a secret profit of €1.5m, it is alleged.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Check out this monstrosity :mrgreen:
I wonder how hard a mere mortal would find it to get planning permission for one of those!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 84806.html

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

jasus boys, thats a fine house ,cheap enough on electric aswell. will they take it off him

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Whyis a jail term never an option in the Irish courts for crimes like these?

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

To the best of my knowledge jail is not an option in this case due to it being a civil case brought by one member of the public against another. It is not a criminal case that has been instigated by the State Prosecutor. Now wheter a criminal case can then be instigated by the Gardai following a guilty verdict in a civil case, I do not know.

I'm open to being corrected on any or all of the above, I am not a scholar of the law.