Uibh Fhaili Support

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Deise Man
Junior C

Re: Uibh Fhaili Support

Post by Deise Man »

I have been meaning to get on here earlier in the week but have only managed to change the batteries in me own pacemaker! What a game that could have gone either way! Half way through the second half it was point for point and Offaly scored one of the best points I have ever seen in Thurles! A lot of commentators are writing Waterford off saying that it was a poor performance but to be honest I think thats rubbish and devalues a great performance from Offaly who were very fit, hunted in packs and showed some great hurling skills! The future of Offaly hurling in bright!

On a negative note if possible I was very suprised at the lack of Faithful support! After beating Limerick that team deserved at least 10,000 even if there was a large ball game on. Not sure how many were actually there but it wasnt many. However the loyal supporters that were there gave there team great support.

As for the Waterford crowd every County has a few but I wouldnt think we are anyworse than anybody else. Somebody made a good point but the hurling stronghold in Waterford is the city.

Anyway thanks for a great game and best of luck with your Leinster U21 final

Deise abu

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

thanks deise man good of you to say .
great history hoping for a better future

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

That's a classy post deise man. I must say the waterford guys who went toe to toe with us on the terrace in the banter stakes were dead sound and as some of the guys already said shook hands with us and wished us well afterwards. With the help of god we will meet in Thurles again next year, have the banter before, during and after the game and the difference of course being that we come out on top next time.

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

Loughers wrote:I was in the middle of the old stand (Kinnane) and could hear ye boys on the terrace. We were surrounded by Waterford. I was very dissappointed by the size of the Offaly crowd but not the support shown by us who did travel. What are Offaly people waiting for, an All-Ireland final?? Even if you took the people who went to the football, it wouldn't have made a huge difference. I had a few mates on the terrace and they thought that the Waterford supporters were the roughest they had come accross. True or false??

true,have to agree with loughers, i was in just for the throw in and i was rite at the front behind the goals in the terrace townside.
i was with a gud mate a galway diehard and we were both shocked by some of the rough element of supporters from waterford. alot of them were twisted drunk, gud man dan, shanahan ur a useless fucker 2 mins later sort, shaved head. earings, lack of hurling knowledge sort.
im no shrinking violet at matches myself and was roaring my team on, as my lone uibh fhailli chant came from the front the coke bottle came flying over the head, to be fair i turned round and said thanks but im not thirsty and they laughed and saved the rest of there bottles for the umpire.
also they seemed to relate to flynn breaking timber when he came in and didnt mind the fact he didnt get the ball in his hand when he came in.thankfully this bunch of 70 or 80 retreated back too they pub after the first game and i got to watch the glorious joe canning and great second half display from a high mileage cork team.
however every county has a few yobs , i was just surprised and maybe a bit naive.
il still be supporting them for the rest of the championship and hope there team and supporters that were in the middle tce improve dramatically

Deise Man
Junior C

Post by Deise Man »

gutless08 wrote:
Loughers wrote:
true,have to agree with loughers, i was in just for the throw in and i was rite at the front behind the goals in the terrace townside.
i was with a gud mate a galway diehard and we were both shocked by some of the rough element of supporters from waterford. alot of them were twisted drunk, gud man dan, shanahan ur a useless fucker 2 mins later sort, shaved head. earings, lack of hurling knowledge sort.
im no shrinking violet at matches myself and was roaring my team on, as my lone uibh fhailli chant came from the front the coke bottle came flying over the head, to be fair i turned round and said thanks but im not thirsty and they laughed and saved the rest of there bottles for the umpire.
also they seemed to relate to flynn breaking timber when he came in and didnt mind the fact he didnt get the ball in his hand when he came in.thankfully this bunch of 70 or 80 retreated back too they pub after the first game and i got to watch the glorious joe canning and great second half display from a high mileage cork team.
however every county has a few yobs , i was just surprised and maybe a bit naive.
il still be supporting them for the rest of the championship and hope there team and supporters that were in the middle tce improve dramatically
Im sorry to here that Gutless, that sort of behaviour is unaccepatble in any walk of life! It does seem to congregate in the middle of terraces though so while you shouldnt have to maybe possibly look at watching away from there. I see this from Tipp, Clare, Cork and Limerick fans and maybe Im baised but Waterford are no worse or no better than other counties. The vast majority of Waterford fans are united in one seemingly impossible goal of winning Liam sometime in our lifetime!

On another note isnt Thurles the best place in the world to watch a hurling match! The atmpsophere is just second to none

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

New seats in Thurles

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

If he was in the New Stand there's no way he could have moved five yards in a short space of time. The seats are incredibly close together and it's impossible to move without falling over, even if those seated are good enough to stand up as you pass.

I don't recall the benched seats in the 'old' New Stand being like that previously, but they've really taken a leaf from some low-budget airlines. Perhaps it's to stop eager Munster hurling supporters moving around to goad the opposition!
Loughers wrote:A man in his 30's ran about 5 yards over to my mate to give him the finger after they scored the second goal. Another man was there with his 2 kids. The 8 year old daughter had to tell her father to shut up because of the abuse he was throwing. Lovely example being set. The Blaaaaa's on afr are admitting there is a bad element, more so than most counties.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

Deise Man wrote:
gutless08 wrote:
Loughers wrote:
Im sorry to here that Gutless, that sort of behaviour is unaccepatble in any walk of life! It does seem to congregate in the middle of terraces though so while you shouldnt have to maybe possibly look at watching away from there. I see this from Tipp, Clare, Cork and Limerick fans and maybe Im baised but Waterford are no worse or no better than other counties. The vast majority of Waterford fans are united in one seemingly impossible goal of winning Liam sometime in our lifetime!

On another note isnt Thurles the best place in the world to watch a hurling match! The atmpsophere is just second to none
ur a gentleman deise,i hope ye achieve that goal,form is temporary, class is permanent.