Hatton for Croker !

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
turk
All Star

Re: Hatton for Croker !

Post by turk »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
royalblue wrote:Ricky is a legend at has the height of praise for Irish boxers and is always encouraging them. He said he would love to fight in Croke Park for his Irish fans and he has thousands of followers here if croke park is opened to other sports why not boxing, County Player are you afraid Hatton might box their before you play their
That's hardly compelling reason to let some English chav box in Croke Park?
Praising Irish boxers and having Irish fans.

He'll box there if the price is right and the Croke Park stadium company will let him in for the right price also.

That's harsh and unfair on Hatton - he's a nice man

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Croke Park is run as a limited company, seperate to the GAA

it has to make profits to continue trading
only the best...

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

DD wrote:
TheManFromFerbane wrote:

However, one of the things that keeps all GAA players going is the chance to play in Croke Park. If you're saying they can't play there because of Celine Dion but the soccer lads can well then that's just wrong.
Where/when did I say this?

In truth, this weeks soccer fixture or a Summer concert will only effect a small number of Leinster counties, the same ones that get to play there nearly every year in any case, it's a tad dramatic to play it up anymore than that..
You arguement about making a loss just to let lads play there is a joke, sure where would that stop if you started it?
That should have read "if ones says they can't play...."

Me no good at english? That's unpossible!!

I personally don't think the argument about making a loss to let the lads play there is a joke. Sure the Schools finals and Junior clubs are played there aren't they? I doubt those games reached the 35,000 required to break even. Do you think they shouldn't have been played there?
The night is darkest before the dawn

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:
That should have read "if ones says they can't play...."

Me no good at english? That's unpossible!!

I personally don't think the argument about making a loss to let the lads play there is a joke. Sure the Schools finals and Junior clubs are played there aren't they? I doubt those games reached the 35,000 required to break even. Do you think they shouldn't have been played there?
I honestly don't know what Schools or Junior games are played in Croke Park anymore, I would guess not too not many though over the entire year though. And of course they should be played there and I agree with your fundamental point that more lads and lassies should get the chance to play there but unfortunately its not going to happen.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

manfromdelmonte wrote:Croke Park is run as a limited company, seperate to the GAA

it has to make profits to continue trading
I doesn't necessarily have to turn a profit, but I think creating an entity that behaves like a company in the GAA has potential pitfalls.
There are consequences to primarily driving towards profits instead of the enhancement of the association.