Offaly v Galway

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly v Galway

Post by Bord na Mona man »

johntherobber wrote: The backs were solid throughtout and never really looked like conceding a goal.
We tend to say this a lot, but Offaly still conceded 18 points and Galway had 17 wides.
Again, we consistently allow good teams anything between 30 and 40 shots at the posts.
I got the feeling, I'll still be grumbling about this all this year!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I still have to get statistics together on this, but I believe that the narrowness of Tullamore pitch for hurling means that a huge proportion of the field becomes shooting zone, so you do get a lot more shots in O'Connor Park than in most hurling pitches.

The concession of shots is a long term issue, but for this week I'd be more concerned that we only created 17 scoring opportunities ourselves. Even if you rose a flag with every one you'd still struggle to win any game with those kind of numbers.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

green&white
Senior

Post by green&white »

Dunno sometimes I really dont understand our psyche as Offaly supporters. We know that the current crop of players are a little bit off the top, but christ I must say there are beginning to show some fierce determination at the moment. Before both games the majority more or less wrote off their chances (maybe rightly so) and we said we'd be happy with performances! Well i think we've got them, and I'll boldly say on both occassions. Against Tipp they started poorly, but showed great fight to remain in the game with 15mins to go, but Tipps strength in depth and superior fitness saw them through with a good bit to spare! But as we seen at the weekend they completed white-washed Limerick.
Against Galway, again the lads seemed to stand off them for awhile but when the chips were down they really responded. When you here Loughnanne say he was glad Galway were able to withstand Offaly's physicality that tells you something of the effort they are putting in, because we aint exactly got the biggest physical panel around! All in all you'd have to be happy with the overall view. Ok they are only scoring 10-12 times a game, and conceding 17-20 times, but hey we are short quite a few. Murphy, Egan & Hoctor(all inj), Murray gone back to the club, and at least 8 or 9 Birr lads still to arrive. I'd say we are in an infinielty stronger position we have been over the last 3 or 4 years, certainly way ahead of that bluffer McIntryes term. Rant over :)