Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

Post by Toxicity234 »

Drumcullen Vs Clareen. Drumcullen didn't turn up but Clareen were excellent.

Birr Vs Kinnitty. Was a good game. Kinnitty will be kicking themselves. They should have won this game. Birr had Paul Cleary at full forward with the wind in the 1st half and only one high man went in for the 1st 30 mins.
Birr were very poor in the 1st half but in the 2nd Hayden, Ryan and Murphy took over the game and gave some great ball into to a poor Birr forward line. When Cahill came on he was in a different class to the rest of the birr forwards.
The Kinnitty goal in the 1st half set up the game and the Birr goal in the second half finished the game.

Team......................... Pld Won Draw Lost For Ag Diff Points
St Rynagh's (Hurling)........4 3 1 0 83 58 25 7
Shinrone......................4 2 2 0 76 69 7 6
Birr ..........................4 2 0 2 64 59 5 4
Ballinamere...................4 2 0 2 64 89 -25 4
Kinnitty........................4 1 0 3 73 79 -6 2
Tullamore/An Tulach Mhór..4 0 1 3 56 62 -6 1

Team.................... Pld Won Draw Lost For Agt Diff Points
Kilcormac-Killoughey.........4 4 0 0 111 59 52 8
Coolderry.....................4 3 0 1 94 60 34 6
Seir Kieran............... 4 2 1 1 105 73 32 5
Belmont GAA............ 4 1 1 2 79 104 -25 3
Drumcullen.............. 4 1 0 3 54 113 -59 2
Brosna Gales............ 4 0 0 4 56 90 -34 0

Am i correct in saying that the only quarter final place left is between Belmont and Drumcullen.
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

good weekend with both seniors and Intermediates winning, just on the senior winning i think Eoghan Cahill is a bit young to be threw in to the seniors i think he has another 2 years minor hasn't he was 15
last year in goals for the minors.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

As near as dammit. Unless Kinnitty beat Rynagh's, Tullamore beat Birr and Shinrone beat Ballinamere. That will leave a three-way tie between Birr, Ballinamere and Kinnitty, with score difference then becoming the deciding factor. In that case, Ballinamere (already on -25) would probably lose out.
Toxicity234 wrote:Am i correct in saying that the only quarter final place left is between Belmont and Drumcullen.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Gud weekend all round for rynaghs. Intermediate especially, what a sweet victory!

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:As near as dammit. Unless Kinnitty beat Rynagh's, Tullamore beat Birr and Shinrone beat Ballinamere. That will leave a three-way tie between Birr, Ballinamere and Kinnitty, with score difference then becoming the deciding factor. In that case, Ballinamere (already on -25) would probably lose out.
Toxicity234 wrote:Am i correct in saying that the only quarter final place left is between Belmont and Drumcullen.
I thought the head to head would come into it.
With Kinnitty having lost to both Birr and Ballinamere and Birr after beating Ballinamere. Would that not be mean that Kinnity can't finish higher than 2 from bottom because the two team above them have beating them?
(Jesus just re read this and confused myself.)
The most Kinnitty can get is 4 points( if they beat rynagh).
If Birr and Ballinamere both lose they all be on 4 points. With Birr and Ballinamere having beating Kinnitty. and Birr having beat Ballinamere. Would that not mean that the group would end up Birr 3th Ballinamere 4th and Kinnitty 5th.

You know what i need a coffee.....

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Head to head is used where two teams are tied; scoring difference is used where three or more teams are tied.

That's why Kinnitty need both Birr and Ballinamere to lose, and not just one of them.

Enjoy the coffee.
Toxicity234 wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:As near as dammit. Unless Kinnitty beat Rynagh's, Tullamore beat Birr and Shinrone beat Ballinamere. That will leave a three-way tie between Birr, Ballinamere and Kinnitty, with score difference then becoming the deciding factor. In that case, Ballinamere (already on -25) would probably lose out.
I thought the head to head would come into it.
With Kinnitty having lost to both Birr and Ballinamere and Birr after beating Ballinamere. Would that not be mean that Kinnity can't finish higher than 2 from bottom because the two team above them have beating them?
(Jesus just re read this and confused myself.)
The most Kinnitty can get is 4 points( if they beat rynagh).
If Birr and Ballinamere both lose they all be on 4 points. With Birr and Ballinamere having beating Kinnitty. and Birr having beat Ballinamere. Would that not mean that the group would end up Birr 3th Ballinamere 4th and Kinnitty 5th.

You know what i need a coffee.....

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

What way does relegation work out this year? Is it the bottom team in each group play a relegation final, or is there a semi final with the bottom two teams from each group involved? 1 team going down?

Would I be right in saying the B/K are favourites for the Intermediate at this stage of the competition?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Head to head is used where two teams are tied; scoring difference is used where three or more teams are tied.

That's why Kinnitty need both Birr and Ballinamere to lose, and not just one of them.

Enjoy the coffee.
that makes sense, Cheers.

Ballyskenagh Killavilla and Shamrock I say would be favourites for the intermediate. Shamrock I saw early this year and I thought that they a good team.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

I attended the 2 SHC games in Birr, on Saturday evening. Tullamore drew with Shinrone, but I noticed 2 of their mentors wore bibs with Maor USICE, rather than UISCE. Normally Tullamore are professional in their preparation, but how did they allow this error?

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Toxicity234 wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Head to head is used where two teams are tied; scoring difference is used where three or more teams are tied.

Enjoy the coffee.
that makes sense, Cheers.

Ballyskenagh Killavilla and Shamrock I say would be favourites for the intermediate. Shamrock I saw early this year and I thought that they a good team.
Yes probably fair to say B/K and Shamrocks should be favourites. B/K probably not showing the form you would expect with the experience both Skenach and Villa have from senior. But maybe they are going to peak at the right time this year. You would still have to fancy them at this stage. Shamrocks still look like work in progress. They struggled against KK and are maybe lacking a bit of steel but doing their best with the resources to hand.

The fact that Rynaghs, Birr and KK's second teams are in with a very good shout of winning the championship is a little worrying. You would be hoping that clubs with their first team would be a little more comfortable and showing potential to be able to compete at the senior grade.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Draw for the intermediate hurling semi finals are

Birr v St Rynaghs 31st August Moystown 6pm

Ballyskenagh/ Kilallaville vs Shamrocks or kk

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Great draw for Rynaghs and Birr, Cahill gone senior big blow for Birr in this. Shamrocks doing well in intermediate football as well, hard to be a force in both even at this level. The beauty for Rynaghs and Birr though is that prob the 3 best teams ie kk, Bal/kil and shamrocks knockin each other out. All to play for!

italia90
Junior A

Post by italia90 »

Checked odds on championship today and decided to do a little review:
Kilcormac/Killoughey 8/13 Bookies not taking much of a chance and hard to blame them. I honestly think they have improved since last year and only see two teams capable of beating them, Coolderry and Seir Keiran, who would both have to play well and kk under perform.
St. Rynagh's 9/2 Sorry but just can't see it. Doing well to top their group and should account for Belmont in quarter final but I think this team needs a few more years together before they make a breakthrough.
Coolderry 5/1 Not a bad price and would be favourites in a quarter final( most likely against Shinrone). Haven't met KK in the last two years and wouldn't be afraid of anyone in championship. last game with KK in group stage will tell us more
Seir Keiran 9/1 Again not bad price until you study a likely path to final, will more than likely play Birr in quarter final. Haven't performed well in recent years against them and a big ask to beat them and 2 of KK, Rynagh's and Coolderry to capture the title.
Birr 9/1 Not what they were and could be entering a famine period for the town. A match for most on their day but not consistent enough. Hope they bounce back soon but just cant see it this year. Their tradition alone will win some matches for them but successful teams like KK and Coolderry should be too strong for them.
Shinrone 9/1 Unbeaten thus far and great underage success but this year may be a bit too soon for them. Coolderry in a quarter final potentially and that may be it. Are definitely improving and if they do get over Coolderry will carry huge confidence forward.
Ballinamere 40/1 Great achievement to win two games this year and should make quarter final unless a bizarre string of results occur. have done well and will look to build next year. Quarter final exit awaits
Belmont 66/1 Have some very good hurlers but not balanced enough to challenge for a championship. Should defeat Drumcullen to reach quarter final and possible date with Rynagh's.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I enjoyed that analysis, italia90. And welcome to the site. An interesting two months ahead.

I'll post my thoughts later in the week, but a brief summary incase I don't get time. Coolderry v Kilcormac will be worth going to. The result will have a radical effect on the quarter-final pairings. The winner will top the group (Coolderry would pip K-K on head-to-head were they to win) and will get Ballinamere in the quarter-final. Coolderry win, then K-K finish second; Clareen come third. K-K win, Clareen come second, Coolderry third. Whatever happens, it will be a dress rehearsal for a meeting in O'Connor Park in late September or mid October. I wouldn't rule out a Drumcullen win over Belmont either, at this stage.

Further down the line, I have a regard for Claren inna meeting with Birr. The half-back line was Birr's most impressive line when I saw them against Kinnitty. I'd give a Bergin - Mulrooney - Bergin half-forward line an edge here. But that opinion may change during the week.
italia90 wrote:Checked odds on championship today and decided to do a little review:
Kilcormac/Killoughey 8/13 Bookies not taking much of a chance and hard to blame them. I honestly think they have improved since last year and only see two teams capable of beating them, Coolderry and Seir Keiran, who would both have to play well and kk under perform.
St. Rynagh's 9/2 Sorry but just can't see it. Doing well to top their group and should account for Belmont in quarter final but I think this team needs a few more years together before they make a breakthrough.
Coolderry 5/1 Not a bad price and would be favourites in a quarter final( most likely against Shinrone). Haven't met KK in the last two years and wouldn't be afraid of anyone in championship. last game with KK in group stage will tell us more
Seir Keiran 9/1 Again not bad price until you study a likely path to final, will more than likely play Birr in quarter final. Haven't performed well in recent years against them and a big ask to beat them and 2 of KK, Rynagh's and Coolderry to capture the title.
Birr 9/1 Not what they were and could be entering a famine period for the town. A match for most on their day but not consistent enough. Hope they bounce back soon but just cant see it this year. Their tradition alone will win some matches for them but successful teams like KK and Coolderry should be too strong for them.
Shinrone 9/1 Unbeaten thus far and great underage success but this year may be a bit too soon for them. Coolderry in a quarter final potentially and that may be it. Are definitely improving and if they do get over Coolderry will carry huge confidence forward.
Ballinamere 40/1 Great achievement to win two games this year and should make quarter final unless a bizarre string of results occur. have done well and will look to build next year. Quarter final exit awaits
Belmont 66/1 Have some very good hurlers but not balanced enough to challenge for a championship. Should defeat Drumcullen to reach quarter final and possible date with Rynagh's.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

So far 2014 has been the year of the urbanisation of the Senior hurling championship. Of the 24 SHC matches to date, 14 have been played in towns. Banagher have hosted 5 SHC matches, Birr 4, Tullamore 4 and Clara 1. Of the remainder, Rath has hosted 3, Kilcormac and Kinnity got 2 each while Killeigh, Shinrone and Moystown got one each. Not a sausage for Claren, Carrig or Lusmagh.