Offaly Championships 2005

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Offaly Championships 2005

Post by Lone Shark »

(For those of you who didn't know my altar ego on GAAboard is Ig, this should make it pretty obvious!!)

I was thinking about the Offaly Championships in 2005, for betting purposes. Granted we have no draw yet, and no real clues on what sides will winter well, but I said I'd have a crack at doing up antepost odds. What do ye think?

(I'm working off the assumption that since Tullamore won the intermediate, Clonbullogue stay there and the all the teams in Group C survive - open to correction here though)

Offaly Senior Hurling 2005

11/10 Birr
5/2 Coolderry
8/1 St. Rynaghs
12/1 Ballyskenach
12/1 Kilcormac/Killoughey
20/1 Lusmagh
25/1 Drumcullen
33/1 Belmont
33/1 Shinrone
33/1 Kinnitty
50/1 Shamrocks
50/1 Tullamore
50/1 Seir Kieran
66/1 Clara

Offaly Senior Football 2005

2/1 Rhode
3/1 Clara
6/1 Tullamore
7/1 Gracefield
7/1 Shamrocks
14/1 Ferbane
16/1 Ballycumber
16/1 Doon
25/1 Edenderry
33/1 St. Brigid's
33/1 Shannonbridge
100/1 Daingean
100/1 Erin Rovers
100/1 Bracknagh

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I presume you wouldn't accept each way bets until the draw is made?

Treasurer
All Star

Hurling Championship

Post by Treasurer »

Did ye know format of hurling championship has been changed? Three teams each from Groups 1 and 2 and two teams from Group 3 to play quarter finals.

Bit strange to be adding more games, considering the difficulties they've had fitting in the games as it was.

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

I like those odds :D

Though I'll hold off printing those "Doon 2005 Champions" just for the mo...........

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Offaly Championship

Post by Lone Shark »

Each way would be okay in either of them. Like you say, the draws not made, so it could go against as well as with you.

I do think that's lunacy having quarter finals as well. That leaves very little reward for winning your group as opposed to finishing third of five. If they just changed to the football format of four teams in A & B and six teams in Group C then the teams that need the games most would get them. Do you know if the footballers have the same system?

It means overall we'll be playing 26 group games to eliminate 6 out 14 teams, and 7 more to eliminate another 7, not counting draws/playoffs etc.

As for Doon, I think for Doon/Brigids/Ferbane this year it's going to be pretty tough. There's a lot of good consistent teams going to be in the draw for the top 2 groups, particularly as you would assume Tullamore would improve with an input from last years intermediates, and Clara will be bringing back a lot of key players who missed out this year through injury. Barring they all get drawn together, it'll be a big ask for any of the three of them to come out of a group.