Offaly Club Team Names

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Hi LS,

With regard to Shannonbridge, they are part of the Belmont set up for the hurling. John Ryan wanted to transfer to boost his inter-county prospects back a few years ago (I remember chatting him in Cahills of Belmont). Fr. Campbell wasn't that keen, but the gave him their blessing at the end of the day.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Just spotted the Wheery entry for the Ferbane U-21s. Basically Birr didn't have an under 21 football team, and a few of their lads asked to play with Ferbane (Dylan Hayden, Sean Ryan) etc. There was a bit of bad feeling about this, but in the end the consensus view was that it would help the county footballers by allowing these lads to play football at under 21 level with Wheery, so it went ahead. Whether this continues next year is another matter.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

A map of the parishes and club areas of the county would be a mighty thing!

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

St Manchans - Ballycumber and Tubber.

It is only for U-21s. All of our underage teams are known as Ballycumber/Tubber and anything above U-21 level is just Ballycumber or Tubber. No cross-pollination there.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

juteman
County player

St Davids

Post by juteman »

I note these are playing in the MHC this weekend. What amalgamation are these?
JUTEMAN

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Geography of North Offaly

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Mount Lucas, on the Daingean - Edenderry road. In who's territory is this? Daingean, Croghan or Edenderry?

The Biff
All Star

Mount Lucas

Post by The Biff »

Mount Lucas is firmly in Daingean parish, which runs right up to the bridge just before the Clonbullogue road turn-off. Ballyfore would be the next nearest club as their area starts the East side of that bridge.

So that's FIVE feckin GAA teams in Daingean parish now, and all of them probably barely able to beat their way out of a wet paper bag. I'm surprised if Mount Lucas is capable of fielding a team on their own, let alone a Hurling one.

Why would you think this area might come under Croghan's coverage? The old Briquette Factory got the "Croghan" title because the original plans were to build it somewhere in Croghan, but was switched to the actual site by a late political "stroke". However, the BnM bosses decided to retain the "Croghan" name for it as all their pre-planning documents used that name. That's the story as I heard it anyway. I dont know who it was allegedly pulled the "stroke", but I'm sure it wasn't the only one pulled back in pre-Tribunal Ireland.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

Lone Shark wrote: U-21 Football Teams

St. Colman's - Don't know, I'm guessing Ballinamere/Durrow, or it could be the Daingean parish team either.
St. Colman's IS the Daingean Parish U21s. St. Vincents take care of all underage up to Minor.
The National School at Cappagh, which services Ballycommon & Kilclonfert is St. Colmans. That's where the name comes from.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

JKL Street, Edenderry.

What does JKL stand for?

far from croghan hill
County player

Post by far from croghan hill »

The street in Edenderry is named after The Most Revd Dr James Doyle (1786-1834) Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin the diocese that Edenderry is part of. All bishops sign letters with their fisrt name and the diocese i.e. James Kildare Leighlin (JKL). ....Why the query?
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

The resurrection of this thread has given me a chance to ask two questions. I don't suppose I should constrain this to a query on parishes, since clubs seems to span or split them in different areas.

1) Which club commands the greatest geographical area in the County?

2) Which club has the luxury of selecting from the most populated area in the County? Not necessarily the most densely populated area in the County - I'm sure that would be Tullamore (ignore the pun).

I'm most interested in Senior Clubs, as some of the underage clubs are like the league of nations!

That's a teaser for yee.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

1) Isn't there some sort of thing going around saying that Offaly have the largest and smallest parish in Ireland, Killeigh being the largest and Clareen being the smallest

2) Now thats a tough one, What about Gracefield?

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

A friend of mine from west Clare claims that Labasheeda Kilmurry McMahon is the biggest parish in Ireland but never backed it up with proof so I can't say for sure.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Every county claims to have some parish which is the biggest in the country! It's like the one where people tell you their town has the most pubs per populataion!

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Then it's just as well I'm only interested in our own County :!:

Surely somebody reading this forum has the answer to these questions:

1) Which club commands the greatest geographical area in the County?

2) Which club has the luxury of selecting from the most populated area in the County? Not necessarily the most densely populated area in the County - I'm sure that would be Tullamore (ignore the pun).
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!