TG4 - 1985 HURLING FINAL

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
juteman
County player

TG4 - 1985 HURLING FINAL

Post by juteman »

Came across this by accident last night and 'twas great to watch. I thought that this was Michael O'Hehir's last commentary on an all-Ireland final,however it was Ger Canning and side kick for the day Eamon Cregan. Can anyone confirm what was his last all-Ireland commentary?
JUTEMAN

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Michael O'Hehir's last commentary was the All Ireland semi-final between Cork and Galway.
I presume his last All Ireland final was the 1983 football final between Dublin and Galway, as it was Mick Dunne who commentated in 1984. I can still hear it..."Seannee Leeeerrreeee!!!" :x

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Watched it. Hadn't seen it in a long long time.

- Hurling has changed 1 - even the hurls are a different shape now, the bas being wider.

- Hurling has changed 2 - Galway played ground hurling. Cyril Farrell must have blamed this for the defeat- the style was soon to be abandoned.

Eugene Coughlan was superb at full back. Nothing passed. He got Texaco hurler of the year for this performance.

Brendan Bermingham was superb also. Connected with everything in the air, kept the ball moving and never let Tony Keady (who had sensationally burst on the scene in that years semi final) dominate. He also gave Sylvie Linnane a 'reminder' early on.

- Hurling has changed 3 - We'll never see a half forward line with Brendan Ber and two Corrigans again- all three standing under 5'9". Ditto a halfback line with Ger Coughlan and Brendan Keeshan.

How was Joe Dooley's goal disallowed? It was a perfectly good goal, coming at a vital stage.

Galway hit a savage amount of wides.

Michael Haverty made a cameo appearance being their third sub introduced. Now a prominent referee and recent county medallist with Loughrea!

to sum it up in one word - it was a "tense" final. Not a classic freeflowing game. It was a difficult match for Offaly to aproach, having destroyed Galway 13 months previously in Thurles. Galway's semi final win made them favourites however.

Fleury's speech captured what it meant. The Centenary final collapse, unprecedented wet summer, Pat Carroll.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Michael O'Hehir was superb. It's very sad what happened him and he was due to commentate on his 100 AI in centerney year also. The best words I ever heard him say were
"You'd think they were winning the Offaly men the way they are didling and dading over there"

"A long high dropping ball...."

Great