New Manager?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
azoffaly
All Star

New Manager?

Post by azoffaly »

Any word from home about this topic? I haven't heard anything at all, which is a bit odd. Have the county board appointed yet another search party? Or are they approaching someone directly?

Have they even met about this yet?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

My understanding is that Pat Roe and Paddy Carr are the two that are being considered, though I've no idea if there are any more in the frame yet, or whether it's too late for a fresh face to get involved.

This comes with the usual purple monkey dishwasher disclaimer.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

There is a commitee out there alright! Sean Grennan,Dave Kavanagh,Mick Casey,Ollie Daly and Christy Todd

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Lone Shark wrote:This comes with the usual purple monkey dishwasher disclaimer.
wha?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

My thoughts exactly Rynaghs Biffo :shock: :shock:

I can't see the county board choosing anyone we've ever heard of as a manager, like Tommy Lyons, Padraigh Nolan, Paul O'Kelly, Gerry Fahy & Kevin Kilmurray weren't exactly house hold names when they got the job & none of them did a bad job!!!

Richie Connor's name is always touted around as the man for the job but I thought he'd have got it last time instead of Kilmurray, who really for me was something of a shock appointment.

I fancy another manager from outside the county been drafted in, who probably won't have been at any of the club games this year so we'll have the same panel as last year!!!

On a slightly different angle, Liam Kearns going to Laois is a great move by them...he for me is 1 of the best managers around. He would have been 1 of my first choices for the Offaly job...but probably would have been pretty expensive as well!!!
The Untouchable

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

the Untouchable wrote: Richie Connor's name is always touted around as the man for the job but I thought he'd have got it last time instead of Kilmurray, who really for me was something of a shock appointment.
Richie had been lined up for the job previously, but according to him, he was overlooked because he made it clear that he couldn't be left out of pocket as it would impinge on his business interests.
I'm not sure has anything changed since.
He comes across as a very knowledgeable football man and he has previous inter county management experience.

I think it has always been a problem in Offaly that we bring in outside mangers (in both codes) after the club championship has ceased. Hard to avoid such a scenario though.

d-man
Junior B

Post by d-man »

Lone Shark wrote:My understanding is that Pat Roe and Paddy Carr are the two that are being considered, though I've no idea if there are any more in the frame yet, or whether it's too late for a fresh face to get involved.

This comes with the usual purple monkey dishwasher disclaimer.

Papers say Pat Roe, current offaly star told me this morning "Roe is a cert"

Bord na Mona man
All Star

d-man wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:My understanding is that Pat Roe and Paddy Carr are the two that are being considered, though I've no idea if there are any more in the frame yet, or whether it's too late for a fresh face to get involved.
Papers say Pat Roe, current offaly star told me this morning "Roe is a cert"
Given the recent success of managers with stubble (Mickey Harte and John Allen), Roe looks a good bet.
I think his record with Wexford was very good.
However I have heard that he's not the kind of man to drive the roads to train teams, without getting petrol money.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Unfortunately no one is going to do it for free, regardless of whether he's an established manager with a proven track record or a manager only starting out!!! Like lets be honest here...with club managers on up to €80 a night to train teams then surely for a county manager will expect that & a whole lot more!!! You'd drive an awful long way on €80 of petrol!!!

Wouldn't rate Pat Roe that highly, don't think he'd do a whole lot more with this current Offaly team than Fahy or Kilmurray did!!!
The Untouchable

Bord na Mona man
All Star

From what I've gathered Pat Roe's car might be a little harder on petrol than Kilmurray's.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

I thought Pat Roe did quite well with Carlow and then Wexford? I think he's as high-profile as we can expect to get. Is he the first manager we've had with inter-county experience in some time?

Who would get more out of this group of footballers?
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

d-man
Junior B

Post by d-man »

Bord na Mona man wrote:From what I've gathered Pat Roe's car might be a little harder on petrol than Kilmurray's.
heard his missus is a Tullamore woman? Can just see the Offaly exec rubbing their hands in glee . "Surely he wont want a load of bobs for coming up to see the family?" :P

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Yep - he's married to a Tullamore woman.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

far from croghan hill
County player

Post by far from croghan hill »

the five man committee met and interviewed Laz Molloy last night in tyrellspass castle. FACT!
THERE IT GOES HIGH IN THE ARMS OF WILLE BRYANS!!