Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The draw and replay with Galway was 2010. Followed the draw and extra time win over Antrim.

2011 was Dublin in Croke Park, left it too late to start hurling, then nearly caught them. And a qualifier in Pairc Uí Chaoimh that was lost by a point after hurling the shit out of the Corkies in the first half.

2012 was an O'Connor Park win over Wexford on a wet evening, a hammering from eventual All-Ireland finalists Galway, and another trip to Cork on a Saturday evening.

2013 was something like 4-9 to 0-26 v Kilkenny who had uncharacteristically dropped their standards that year, followed by Waterford in one that got away.

Fell off a cliff after that.
Hasselhoff wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:31 pm I think that 2013 team brought Galway to a replay in croke park and ran Galway tight in Portlaoise as well.

Kilkenny were very strong as well at the time.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:35 pm The draw and replay with Galway was 2010. Followed the draw and extra time win over Antrim.

2011 was Dublin in Croke Park, left it too late to start hurling, then nearly caught them. And a qualifier in Pairc Uí Chaoimh that was lost by a point after hurling the shit out of the Corkies in the first half.

2012 was an O'Connor Park win over Wexford on a wet evening, a hammering from eventual All-Ireland finalists Galway, and another trip to Cork on a Saturday evening.

2013 was something like 4-9 to 0-26 v Kilkenny who had uncharacteristically dropped their standards that year, followed by Waterford in one that got away.

Hasselhoff wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:31 pm I think that 2013 team brought Galway to a replay in croke park and ran Galway tight in Portlaoise as well.

PTH never fails always on the ball , I use that 2013 team as reference not solely the year , what year was it Colin egan got the red , we played kk there aswel at some time around then?

Was at the first qualifier v Cork Colin egan rattled the crossbar remember that game well really gave it to them

Would I be right in saying that the forward line of bergin dooley and carroll was disrupted for some reason i recall joe bergin being out with injuries a good bit

So much went on with Offaly up the point where kevin Martin took over its hard to put a timeline on it

I think we are all glad to see the back those days everything was getting overshadowed by ongoings off the field

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Just a few random recollections from the 2008 to 2013 era:

Joe Dooley, Benny and Pat McLoughney (God be good to Pat) had built a team with Rory and Murph in midfield, Carroll, Brady and Derek in the half-forward line and Shane, Joseph and Danny Currams inside.

Beating Limerick against all the odds, down there, is still my favourite memory of that era. And only a few hundred of us travelled down. Breeder was still in goals, full-back line was Franks, Kenny, Verney, half-back line was Kevin Brady, Oalkey (I think) and Diarmuid.

I don't recall Colin being sent off. Or did that happen on a wet day against Galway post 2014? I do recall Currams harshly sent off in the draw against Galway in Croke Park; and Derek Molloy at the same venue a year later.

Colin Egan wasn't there in 2008, but I do remember him rattling the Pairc Uí Chaoimh crossbar in 2011, as well as scoring a goal. Think Brian Carroll hobbled off with a recurrence of an ankle injury that day.

I don't recall Joseph Bergin missing much due to injury, to be honest.

But, one set of rules for Offaly, another set for everyone else. It's still the same today. It should be a scandal that David King was suspended retrospectively for the helmet incident in the league in Wexford Park earliee this year when there clearly was no malice aforethought.
G91 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:04 am PTH never fails always on the ball , I use that 2013 team as reference not solely the year , what year was it Colin egan got the red , we played kk there aswel at some time around then?

Was at the first qualifier v Cork Colin egan rattled the crossbar remember that game well really gave it to them

Would I be right in saying that the forward line of bergin dooley and carroll was disrupted for some reason i recall joe bergin being out with injuries a good bit

So much went on with Offaly up the point where kevin Martin took over its hard to put a timeline on it

I think we are all glad to see the back those days everything was getting overshadowed by ongoings off the field

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

The big hill wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:52 pm The combined 2013 and 2024 team would look like this.
How far would they go?

1. James Dempsey
2. Kevin Brady
3. Ciaran Burke
4. Ben Coneeley
5. Rory Hannify
6. Ger Healion
7. Cillian Kiely
8. Conor Mahon
9. Eimhin Kelly
10. Ciaran Slevin
11. Eoghan Cahill
12. Brian Carroll
13. Shane Dooley
14. Brian Duignan
15. Joe Bergin

Subs
17. Mark Troy
18. Chris McDonald
19. David King
20. Cathal Parlon
21. Jason Sampson
22. Paul Cleary
23. Dan Bourke
24. Charlie Mitchell
25. Oisin Kelly
26. Colin Egan
Eimhin Kelly in midfield in this amalgamation is some shout.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:38 pm
The big hill wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:52 pm The combined 2013 and 2024 team would look like this.
How far would they go?

1. James Dempsey
2. Kevin Brady
3. Ciaran Burke
4. Ben Coneeley
5. Rory Hannify
6. Ger Healion
7. Cillian Kiely
8. Conor Mahon
9. Eimhin Kelly
10. Ciaran Slevin
11. Eoghan Cahill
12. Brian Carroll
13. Shane Dooley
14. Brian Duignan
15. Joe Bergin

Subs
17. Mark Troy
18. Chris McDonald
19. David King
20. Cathal Parlon
21. Jason Sampson
22. Paul Cleary
23. Dan Bourke
24. Charlie Mitchell
25. Oisin Kelly
26. Colin Egan
Eimhin Kelly in midfield in this amalgamation is some shout.
This quote should end this discussion immediately,
Chris McDonald played a handful of games for Offaly, great club man alright.
Ciaran Slevin, fantastic club hurler but did very little with Offaly
Kevin Brady as a corner back, Jeez
Ger Healion???? Legend at club but not a county hurler.
Our half forward line wouldn't win any ball.
Barry Teehan gave solid service, Paul cleary, david Kenny, david franks all way ahead of some of them names.
Conor Clancy ahead of young Troy at the minute.
Now look, you've dragged me into it, AAArgh

G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:59 am Just a few random recollections from the 2008 to 2013 era:

Joe Dooley, Benny and Pat McLoughney (God be good to Pat) had built a team with Rory and Murph in midfield, Carroll, Brady and Derek in the half-forward line and Shane, Joseph and Danny Currams inside.

Beating Limerick against all the odds, down there, is still my favourite memory of that era. And only a few hundred of us travelled down. Breeder was still in goals, full-back line was Franks, Kenny, Verney, half-back line was Kevin Brady, Oalkey (I think) and Diarmuid.

I don't recall Colin being sent off. Or did that happen on a wet day against Galway post 2014? I do recall Currams harshly sent off in the draw against Galway in Croke Park; and Derek Molloy at the same venue a year later.

Colin Egan wasn't there in 2008, but I do remember him rattling the Pairc Uí Chaoimh crossbar in 2011, as well as scoring a goal. Think Brian Carroll hobbled off with a recurrence of an ankle injury that day.

I don't recall Joseph Bergin missing much due to injury, to be honest.

But, one set of rules for Offaly, another set for everyone else. It's still the same today. It should be a scandal that David King was suspended retrospectively for the helmet incident in the league in Wexford Park earliee this year when there clearly was no malice aforethought.
G91 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:04 am PTH never fails always on the ball , I use that 2013 team as reference not solely the year , what year was it Colin egan got the red , we played kk there aswel at some time around then?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic ... -1.2691165

Faithfully
Intermediate

Post by Faithfully »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:35 pm The draw and replay with Galway was 2010. Followed the draw and extra time win over Antrim.

I remember the Waterford game in 2013 in OCP. Has there been as big a crowd since to see an Offaly team (hurling or football) in Tullamore? Excluding last week which was 90% Cork fans with no expectations on our end.

Their goalie made an early howler I think resulting in a Dooley goal. We fought back well at one stage in the second half but as I recall, we couldn't handle Maurice Shanahan.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

I remember the Limerick game 2012
Away missing the last train
That was the time Brian Carroll was abroad
And we actually played well
I think Sid was the manager
You could see the rot kicking in.
Then certain clubs not playing ball and egos
A plenty
12 years later we are still knowhere near that
Level of competivness ( got to be realistic)
Hope springs eternal 🤞

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Stick to the football, Hans. Reason Brian Carroll didn't play against Limerick in 2012 was because he concluded the Club All-Ireland campaign in Croke Park a week before.

Sid wasn't manager.

Brian Carroll didn't miss any Offaly matches because he was 'away'.
Superhans75 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:56 am I remember the Limerick game 2012
Away missing the last train
That was the time Brian Carroll was abroad
And we actually played well
I think Sid was the manager
You could see the rot kicking in.
Then certain clubs not playing ball and egos
A plenty
12 years later we are still knowhere near that
Level of competivness ( got to be realistic)
Hope springs eternal 🤞

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Brian Carroll was in Zambia I think
Something do with his study or work
I could be wrong would not be for
The first time lol 😂

The big hill
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by The big hill »

I know this is highly irrelevant but make an offaly team only using one player per club ill go first

1. Stephen Corcoran (Coolderry)
2. Ben Conneely (St Rynaghs)
3. Niall Houlihan(Tullamore)
4. Padraig Cantwell (Shamrocks)
5. Paddy Delaney(Kinnitty)
6. Cillian Kiely(K/K)
7. Donal Shirley (Brosna Gaels)
8.Cathal King (Carrig)
9. Eimhin Kelly(Lusmagh)
10. Jason Sampson(Shinrone)
11. Oisin Kelly(Belmont)
12. Cathal O Meara(Clara)
13. Eoghan Cahill(Birr)
14. Brian Duignan(Ballinamere)
15. James Mulrooney(Seir Kieran)

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

The big hill wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:36 pm I know this is highly irrelevant but make an offaly team only using one player per club ill go first

6. Cillian Kiely(K/K)
8.Cathal King (Carrig)
9. Eimhin Kelly(Lusmagh)
11. Oisin Kelly(Belmont)
13. Eoghan Cahill(Birr)
I would definitely have Dan Bourke as my Ballinamere representative.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

The big hill wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:36 pm I know this is highly irrelevant but make an offaly team only using one player per club ill go first

6. Cillian Kiely(K/K)
8.Cathal King (Carrig)
9. Eimhin Kelly(Lusmagh)
11. Oisin Kelly(Belmont)
13. Eoghan Cahill(Birr)
You hit the nail on the head alright in your first 6 words!

The big hill
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by The big hill »

You hit the nail on the head alright in your first 6 words!
Didnt know this is the dail 🤣🤣🤣

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

6. Cillian Kiely(K/K)
8.Cathal King (Carrig)
9. Eimhin Kelly(Lusmagh)
11. Oisin Kelly(Belmont)
13. Eoghan Cahill(Birr)
Killian Sampson at wing forward over his brother.
Conor Doyle over Cathal O'Meara.
Shane Dooley over Niall Houlihan and do a bit of a rejig.
Dan Bourke or Ciaran Burke over Duignan.
Haven't seen Clareen recently but I can't imagine James Mulrooney is their standout?