Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Faithfully
Intermediate

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by Faithfully »

Doon Exile wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:24 am
G91 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:50 pm On the same as the lienster final gaa don't miss a trick

Overpriced tickets here we go
Would you not rather it to be on with the Leinster final. It’s nice to get the opportunity to be at a game you might not normally go to. Not to mention the increased crowd and atmosphere.
Really hope that we bring a strong crowd to this. I'd love to see 10k Offaly people making the trip, although I am sceptical.

If Wexford could do a number on Kilkenny on the last day of the round robin they'd bring a colossal crowd to a Leinster final, would be a great occasion.

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

Now that it is assured we are in the Joe Mac final, I was wondering about the all Ireland prelim quarter finals. I know we took a fair auld beating off Tipperary last year, but we were not in any form for playing after the heartbreak in last years Joe Mac final

Last year, as we lost, we played the Munster third placed team...Tipperary, and Carlow (because they beat us)played Dublin, who finished 3rd in Leinster.

Can I ask, will that arrangement stay the same this year? As in, will the winners play Leinster 3rd placed team (Dublin or Wexford most likely), and runners up play the Munster bronze medalists (Cork.....long shot Waterford)?
Last edited by Wing Back on Mon May 20, 2024 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

Faithfully
Intermediate

Post by Faithfully »

Discussed over in the hurling championship thread. The winner of Laois vs Offaly plays 3rd place in Munster. Loser plays Leinster. Alternates each year.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Wing Back wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:03 pm Now that it is assured we are in the Joe Mac final, I was wondering about the all Ireland prelim quarter finals. I know we took a fair auld beating off Tipperary last year, but we were not in any form for playing after the heartbreak in last years Joe Mac final

Last year, as we lost, we played the Munster third placed team...Tipperary, and Carlow (because they beat us)played Dublin, who finished 3rd in Leinster.

Can I ask, will that arrangement stay the same this year? As in, will the winners play Leinster 3rd placed team (Dublin or Wexford most likely), and runners up play the Munster bronze medalists (Cork.....long shot Waterford)?
Nope, that reverses every second year. In even numbered years, the Joe Mac winners play Munster's third team - Antrim played Cork in 2022, Kerry (Joe Mac runners up) played Wexford. So this year, that will be the case again.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Wing Back
County player

Post by Wing Back »

Ah fair enough. Apologies, I hadn't really looked at that thread at all.

Receiving the prize of a showdown with Munster 3rd for winning the Joe Mac seems like a much tougher assignment this year than any others for some reason. But I guess that's the way it is. If we win, I think we will be in a much better frame of mind than last year. But that match V Cork in the league still sticks in my memory. I was not one bit surprised what they done when they got on top yesterday. They really love to try and stand on a teams neck when they are down......more than any other team I feel.

Lets focus on the matters at hand first though I suppose.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Jaysus, is it not a good thing that it is on with the Leinster final? I know that the majority of the Leinster final crowd wont be in but it will be a good chance for us to watch a Leinster final live.

I'll not object to paying the bit extra and sit back and dream of the golden days when we were there every year, and please God if we win , be able to enjoy it with the thoughts that somehow it may be in reach at some point in the not too distant.

Best of luck to all involved in the next couple of weeks in the build up. The team have done well to regroup after a sucker punch and will have huge motivation for the final.

Also a nod to those challenging Laois (yes it is Laois not Leix), about whether they will put out a full team, sure why would they , there is nothing riding on our match or theirs so it doesn't matter what they do. Last year it did matter as basically our second team ensured we didnt face Laois in the final. You can understand their frustration, but thats it , our mgt earned the right to do what they wished and thats the nuts and bolts of it.

We'll need to learn from all that has gone on and dig out last years final video, we need to be more clinical, work one more pass and ensure we are ruthless like Laois have been. Batton down the hatches for periods and keep the cool in terms of discipline. We can't afford to lose any player and opoerate with 14 for any length of time.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

And to quote the great Kevin Keegan, (swap Jack Nolan for SrAlex), "He's gone down in my estimation!!, an, an I'll tell you wha......I'll luv it if we beat them, luv it!"

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:04 pm Jaysus, is it not a good thing that it is on with the Leinster final? I know that the majority of the Leinster final crowd wont be in but it will be a good chance for us to watch a Leinster final live.

I'll not object to paying the bit extra and sit back and dream of the golden days when we were there every year, and please God if we win , be able to enjoy it with the thoughts that somehow it may be in reach at some point in the not too distant.

Best of luck to all involved in the next couple of weeks in the build up. The team have done well to regroup after a sucker punch and will have huge motivation for the final.

Also a nod to those challenging Laois (yes it is Laois not Leix), about whether they will put out a full team, sure why would they , there is nothing riding on our match or theirs so it doesn't matter what they do. Last year it did matter as basically our second team ensured we didnt face Laois in the final. You can understand their frustration, but thats it , our mgt earned the right to do what they wished and thats the nuts and bolts of it.
The principle applies though despite 2 teams already qualified

If laois play anything except for the fist 15 they are hypocrites

Offaly actually had more of reason not to do it v Carlow last year, lienster under 20 final players carrying knocks kiely was almost decapitated vs kerry beforehand

So if laois don't do it there resting players for the Final the exact same thing they were having a go at Offaly for v Carlow last year

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

[/quote]

If laois play anything except for the fist 15 they are hypocrites

[/quote]

:roll: :roll: :roll:

The same principle does not apply at all here. Your level of critical thinking does appear to be quite low. The last round last yr decided who would play Offaly in the final. Offaly were entitled to do what they liked and they chose to play a B team and let Carlow qualify.

This year the last round has nothing at stake for any team. If you cannot see the difference then I'm not sure you should be allowed up to Dublin for the day.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

KeshaWantsTimber wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:49 pm

The same principle does not apply at all here. Your level of critical thinking does appear to be quite low. The last round last yr decided who would play Offaly in the final. Offaly were entitled to do what they liked and they chose to play a B team and let Carlow qualify.

This year the last round has nothing at stake for any team. If you cannot see the difference then I'm not sure you should be allowed up to Dublin for the day.
You might have missed the bit where they were the third best team in the Joe McDonagh last year. I've no sympathy for the salty tears they were crying, expecting Offaly to flog already heavily used players to give them a dig out,

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:11 pm
KeshaWantsTimber wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:49 pm

You might have missed the bit where they were the third best team in the Joe McDonagh last year. I've no sympathy for the salty tears they were crying, expecting Offaly to flog already heavily used players to give them a dig out,
Another person just choosing to read the bits they want to. I said Offaly earned the right to do what the liked and allow players to rest.

That doesn't mean that this year's situation is the same. It's completely different.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

From Laois' perspective, it's not different at all. No team would or should spend their time worrying about others, and last year Offaly had to fulfil a fixture against Carlow, this year Laois have to fulfil a fixture against Westmeath.

Offaly weren't "choosing" to play Carlow in the final any more than picking a full strength team would have been "choosing" to play Laois. Offaly looked at the load on their players, particularly the U20s, and acted accordingly, entirely in the interests of the health of the Offaly panel. As the final proved, it's not like picking a full strength team was any guarantee of beating Carlow anyway.

For what it's worth, I would expect Laois to run out the second string against Westmeath, depending on who needs rest and who needs game time - you certainly won't see the likes of Jer Quinlan playing - and that's exactly what they should do. But it's still hypocrisy from the manager if they do.

Now maybe he will play his best 15, Quinlan included, and then I'll be the first to admit he genuinely believes in his principles.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Wing Back
County player

Post by Wing Back »

Its 95% the same situation for Laois.

neither result has a baring on anyone else I guess.......But will be interesting to see what they do.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

Lone Shark wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:25 pm From Laois' perspective, it's not different at all. No team would or should spend their time worrying about others, and last year Offaly had to fulfil a fixture against Carlow, this year Laois have to fulfil a fixture against Westmeath.

Offaly weren't "choosing" to play Carlow in the final any more than picking a full strength team would have been "choosing" to play Laois. Offaly looked at the load on their players, particularly the U20s, and acted accordingly, entirely in the interests of the health of the Offaly panel. As the final proved, it's not like picking a full strength team was any guarantee of beating Carlow anyway.

For what it's worth, I would expect Laois to run out the second string against Westmeath, depending on who needs rest and who needs game time - you certainly won't see the likes of Jer Quinlan playing - and that's exactly what they should do. But it's still hypocrisy from the manager if they do.

Now maybe he will play his best 15, Quinlan included, and then I'll be the first to admit he genuinely believes in his principles.

Offalys down fall was playing a weakened team v Carlow last year, it broke up the momentum and it filled Carlow with confidence even though they played a weakened offaly side.. it changed the dynamics.. both teams have good momentum goin at the moment, either side fielding a weakened team for the final game will do themselves no favour. Westmeath will go after a weakened Laois team as they have nothing to play for. I hope they field a weakened team and offaly put out a strong team and keep momentum going. Now is our time to step past the kerry Westmeaths and Laois of this world.. the way we disposed of Kerry tells me this team is on a steep upward curve and should have enough for laois but now is not the time to take foot odd throttle

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Lone Shark wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:25 pm From Laois' perspective, it's not different at all. No team would or should spend their time worrying about others, and last year Offaly had to fulfil a fixture against Carlow, this year Laois have to fulfil a fixture against Westmeath.

Keesha is correct, Offaly earned the right to rest players, Laois hoped that complaining might provoke a response and somehow Offaly would turn Carlow over. Laois mgt would have said , "Fuck it lads we've noone to blame only ourselves "behind closed doors.
But technically its different in that nothing riding on the games this weekend. Offaly and Laois are in a bind though as is a long lead into a final and trying to keep the players ticking over is the key. Guys carrying anything should be rested.