Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by Bord na Mona man »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:38 pm
Bord na Mona man wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:25 pm
pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:08 pm Comfortably, though the 30 point trimming to Armagh would take some topping.
In that game vs Armagh, Offaly were just blown out of it.
The 2008 qualifier against Down was similar to today because the players were putting management under the bus.
Do ya reckon thats what it was?

What are the obvious signs that that’s the case, in your opinion? Surely lads don’t go out to play badly and or lose.
I can't see how Offaly could claim to have played to their potential and still be heavily beaten by the 2nd bottom team in Division 4?

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Aye, but do you have to play to your potential to beat opposition who you are so far ahead of? Londons ceiling is hardly so high that even if Offaly are only playing at their base level that the result should be like that?

London margin of victory was actually a larger number than what offaly managed to put on the scoreboard. Thats a supernaturally bad indictment. Theres surely something not right in that camp?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:07 pm Aye, but do you have to play to your potential to beat opposition who you are so far ahead of? Londons ceiling is hardly so high that even if Offaly are only playing at their base level that the result should be like that?

London margin of victory was actually a larger number than what offaly managed to put on the scoreboard. Thats a supernaturally bad indictment. Theres surely something not right in that camp?
Yes, it's a serious worry as to why Offaly were so far off the mark. Slightly off, still should have won the game.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Superhans75 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:03 pm Rathkele next weekend please people turn up
Caravans at the ready.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Poor comment above...I stopped commenting on here over last while, a few posters literally berating anyone who opposes the "all is well" narative launching personal attacks with no one monitoring tone of whats being posted..posters being personally attacked on a constant basis..the post above about caravans is a disgrace..moderators must be either fast asleep or contributing to posts hence ignoring these thing which i have suspected for a while..of course i know already the type of response this post will get but to be honest i couldn't care less..this form now is abit like the political party who is well linked to the GAA...as its former leader said one time 'put the right people in the right places and they will tell you what you want to hear' (as in influential)..some give opinion and are instantly rediculed..good luck uibhfaili.com..like Offaly footballers...standard is gone...dress it up all you want..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Good man - make it about yourself anyway.
Fairplayalways wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:43 am Poor comment above...I stopped commenting on here over last while, a few posters literally berating anyone who opposes the "all is well" narative launching personal attacks with no one monitoring tone of whats being posted..posters being personally attacked on a constant basis..the post above about caravans is a disgrace..moderators must be either fast asleep or contributing to posts hence ignoring these thing which i have suspected for a while..of course i know already the type of response this post will get but to be honest i couldn't care less..this form now is abit like the political party who is well linked to the GAA...as its former leader said one time 'put the right people in the right places and they will tell you what you want to hear' (as in influential)..some give opinion and are instantly rediculed..good luck uibhfaili.com..like Offaly footballers...standard is gone...dress it up all you want..
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Going into work this morning
I've been thinking about you
By London Beat 👀👀
Was on my radio.
I think someone iis taking the piss lol
Enjoy the last day of sun everyone .👍

Offalyblueboy
Junior A
Club: Tullamore

Post by Offalyblueboy »

I think there is a lot wrong.

Mgt Team.
Inexperienced ignorant manager coupled with poor selectors that are mates of his and a guy from Westmeath that has zero experience in the men’s game. No coach no big name or experienced person that could have ignited the group.

Players.
Yesterday is not the best 26 available to Offaly and mgt destroyed things at the start falling out with experienced players and trying to rule with an iron fist. Now look at us.

Summary
Enough harm done changes required

jk1022
Junior B

Post by jk1022 »

Offalyblueboy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:53 am I think there is a lot wrong.

Mgt Team.
Inexperienced ignorant manager coupled with poor selectors that are mates of his and a guy from Westmeath that has zero experience in the men’s game. No coach no big name or experienced person that could have ignited the group.

Players.
Yesterday is not the best 26 available to Offaly and mgt destroyed things at the start falling out with experienced players and trying to rule with an iron fist. Now look at us.

Summary
Enough harm done changes required

You’ve hit the nail on the head. Like I said earlier, if you try to rule with an iron fist players won’t play for you, and that was obvious yesterday. Got away with it at underage and club level.

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Was working yesterday and flicked through updates, saw a score 10 minutes out and presumed it was the wrong way round.
Had a bit of time this morning to read a few bits and pieces (a mixed bag of a weekend, between Eurovision, Tyrone tanking us, and then the Offaly result!).
2 thoughts buzzing in the back of my head- Alan Hansen you'll win nothing with kids, and Manic Street Preachers This is my truth, tell me yours.
On paper, I thought that's a decent looking Offaly team. All reports suggest a flat, disjointed and apathetic approach from Offaly. Obviously not having been at the game, I can only surmise how or why it looked that way.
I do think this result was more of an anomaly than anything else, and that on any given day, Offaly should be winning this game. But if every day and every game went as it should, what would be the point? Yesterday was London's day, and fair play to them. Carlow drew with Kilkenny. If Offaly did that to Down yesterday, they would be rightly lauded today. If Down beat Offaly by that scoreline, there would be hurt and analysis as to why the gap was so big. But because it was London, it hurts pride far more.
The grapevine and the rumour mills are fascinating, especially when things aren't going swimmingly. You should look up the Kildare fans forum as a case in point. I think, for different reasons, Roscommon and Offaly had a similar game experience yesterday. The more they pushed, the more they got punished on the break. It's energy-sapping, confidence-draining, soul-destroying. Every little error or miscalculation becomes magnified, and the gap just keeps getting wider.
All is not well in the camp, or there's something wrong in the camp are wonderfully enigmatic phrases. I'm out of the loop a few years now. I'd know a fair few players, and I know how much playing for Offaly means to them. Today will hurt them in a way that anytime any of us set our hearts on a task or a relationship and, for whatever reason, it doesn't go to plan, and you are left stewing over it and thinking about the implications long after.
You hear plenty of bits and pieces. Some of it might be close to source, you think yeah, that's probably 90-100% accurate. More, maybe 70%, because you know there's a bias or agenda attached. It tapers down to the 10-25%, and finally a flat out 0% that you know is 100% bullshit.
Passion and drive are hugely important qualities, but the ability to bring people along with you rather than shutting some out is equally important. You can't argue with Declan Kelly's achievements to date, nor can you question his passion or drive. The next bit I write is based on bits I've heard and bits I've read, and I've tried to match them along the 0-100% spectrum, so I could be anywhere along that spectrum wrong. The worry would be that if he is too inflexible and ends up painting himself into a corner, there is a risk of undoing a lot of the positives he has brought to Offaly football and damaging the development of the senior team. By extension, being too rigid about development squad participation is surely cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Yesterday was a damaging result, but whether it leaves a pile of smoking ash and debris, or an opportunity for a phoenix to arise will dictate how the rest of this year goes, and will set a tone for next year.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Thanks to substandard for the best reply posted here. I am also distanced from the Offaly environment now for many years, and I know I’m so lucky to be able to remember the Glory Days. I’m happy to accept lower levels these days.

Was yesterday’s result just an aberration? A freak? We’ve been better than that all year. Isn’t some of that just the beauty of Sport? Not every game follows the form lines and lots of teams have occasional nightmares.

But we should all remember that OUR Gaelic Games are played by Amateur teams. We want them to play with pride for our beloved jersey and county, and we treasure the days when it works. Let London enjoy all the glory for their great moment. That’s been us a few times in the past. In fact, we’ve exceeded our position more times than most. Chill out guys, it’s only a game.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

The Biff wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:40 pm Thanks to substandard for the best reply posted here. I am also distanced from the Offaly environment now for many years, and I know I’m so lucky to be able to remember the Glory Days. I’m happy to accept lower levels these days.

Was yesterday’s result just an aberration? A freak? We’ve been better than that all year. Isn’t some of that just the beauty of Sport? Not every game follows the form lines and lots of teams have occasional nightmares.

But we should all remember that OUR Gaelic Games are played by Amateur teams. We want them to play with pride for our beloved jersey and county, and we treasure the days when it works. Let London enjoy all the glory for their great moment. That’s been us a few times in the past. In fact, we’ve exceeded our position more times than most. Chill out guys, it’s only a game.
Agree with this totally and the post by sub standard. A freak result where the player's really didn't show up and when you don't show up this kind of thing can happen. I read one of the offaly papers where the reporter (who is getting paid for what he does) said that offaly owed it to their supporters and those that back them to put in big performances in the next 2 game.. I'm not defending or saying we can't criticise but it should 100% be made clear that none of them player's or past player's owe any supporter anything!!! They put in 20+ hours a week and sacrifice everything and get nothing and it's for our entertainment at the end of the day. Lets hope we can get a big win against Limerick and set the score difference straight! We are well capable despite what happened yesterday.

G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

The response is a little cringey

We're offaly "supporters" just expecting London to show up and be tourists

We beat meath last year as underdogs

London have just done the same in theory winning as underdogs

They train hard just like every team

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Deckie Hogan and Jack McEvoy gone from the panel through injury

del
County player

Post by del »

I think it’s time the MGT go whether there is not enough experience in the coaching set up but there is something seriously wrong . If this was any other manager the local press would be calling for his head .This is worse than when Stephen Wallace was there and he got the chop mid season . Time for the chairman to step in and do whats right for Offaly football and cut ties with this MGT enough damage has been done . The buck stops with the manager and in turn with the chairman