Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
offalyman
Senior

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by offalyman »

After that result there’s no way back and the Management have to go

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

The worrying thing is, with very little obvious exception, this is the best collection of footballers we can muster as a county.

I can’t think of anyone that you could parachute in from a playing perspective and drastically change the course of direction. Its harsh, but its true, we’re just not developing players at a rate conducive to keeping a panel refreshed and vibrant. I think this result has to be the genesis of something, there’s no way a group of players training collectively since last Autumn can be losing games to this level of opposition, its just not possible.

It seems we’re locked in an arms race to the bottom as we seem to be spending more and more just to keep threading water. Eventually someone has to yell stop here and query what it is the stakeholders are getting for their efforts.

I’d go so far to say that that was worse than anything served up during stephen wallaces tenure.

Faithfully
Intermediate

Post by Faithfully »

joey1001 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:02 pm
jimbob17 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:52 pm
joey1001 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 am

The team has shown how capable it is and if we go for it, I see us with comfortable wins against London and Limerick and have a proper crack at Down. This is a good team and there is a lot more to come, we'll see a couple more all Ireland u20s next year again I expect and there's definitely 3 from this years u20 who will add strongly to the squad next year and after. We'll start with the big win today, hon offaly.
As I write this, we are 2-20 to 12 points down to London with time up - a 14 point loss. This is Londons first championship win in 11 years! Not wanting to sound alarmist but, THIS IS NOT GOOD!!! This is in fact a disgrace! I could somehow bare losing a tight game to London by a point or two as they are not the worst team in Div 4 but not this!

There are many on here bigging up the virtues of this U20 team and how they will change Offaly going forward and have been doing for few years. It is a delusional argument. There are probably 4 or 5 from that team who will be good enough at the most for senior. That is doing well. And I emphasise 'will be' because some of them are not there yet. Is this the best we can do against London after training since last September with a fortune pumped into resource the team? There is something amiss lads and dont give us the bulsh*t that they are young, they are 'in transition'. Every team is in transition. This was London.

Personally, I thought the Dublin performance was poor but with all the 'positivity' floating around, didnt want to say so. There were seriously bad vibes around the squad last Jan- March for whatever reasons I dont know. It appears there are serious flaws there and despite the Laois result (which was very good to be fair), we have not really performed all that well this year.

I am not looking to throw management under bus here as Kelly has given a lot to Offaly GAA in recent times, but if this was anyone else in charge, there would be outrage. There should be outrage! This is like dropping back to Christy Ring in Hurling. Serious questions have to be asked about both management and the team after this result and it might not mean getting rid of management. It might be what needs to be added tweaked or changed to improve things so this doesnt happen again.

Joey, you simply cannot explain this away and I am not here to be part of the 'I told you so brigade'

It is the worst Offaly result in championship in my lifetime, possibly in the history of Offaly GAA! It is disgusting! Horrific!

I'm not explaining anything anyway we simply did not show up or bother today.. its a disgrace.. but my above points still stand! You cannot say that this is where we are.. our league form has been franked, big win against Laos, Dublin is Dublin and we simply just did not show up or bother today.. anyone just saying that we are this poor etc is nonsense! We simply didn't bother.. are lads trying to say that london are better than us.. we've been winning games in leinster and drawing with division 2 opposition.. this is not our form!!
Your form is what you put out on the pitch.

Part of any good squad is how they approach games in a professional manner and maintain consistent levels of performance.

So I don't think the London boys, heading back on the plane with a 14 point victory, will be too worried about Offaly being better than them.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Just don't turn on each other but we are managed awful

jk1022
Junior B

Post by jk1022 »

You could see today that none of the experienced lads want to play for the current manager. He came in early doors and knocked all the older lads noses out of joint. Thought he might not need them. That theory was badly exposed today. If you don’t treat experienced players with the respect they deserve they won’t play for you. Has to go and has to be got rid of as director of football in Offaly. Arrogant and ignorant with no man management skills.

pigeon house biffo
All Star

I doubt that. Sure if he was planning on getting rid of the older lads who was he going to get to play instead of them?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Superhans75 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:15 pm Just don't turn on each other but we are managed awful
I fully agree with this sentiment. Dont give me the crap of players not caring or not bothering. They all stayed around and trained for it. I even heard David Dempsey on Midlands Radio say Offaly were really up for it this year, especially after disappointing end last couple of years.

We have two competitions we can genuinely compete in to get somewhere - ie the league and the championship and I am not talking about Leinster Championship. From when draw was made, todays date (Tailteann Cup) was first round of our championship proper and it had to be the priority for everything once league was over. We were never getting over Dublin in Leinster. Today was the focus, get off the ground running in the one championship we could do well in. Today was the measure of what we were working towards all the year and it was managements job to have us right for todays battle. And we failed so so badly - management and players alike. If Steven Wallace produced a result like that, people would've been baying for blood.

Can't say all that much more but there is a lot of people involved in that squad, co board, management and players alike that really need to reflect on what happened today.
jimbob

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Rathkele next weekend please people turn up

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

A fully fit and firing Rhode senior team (even with its high age profile)would beat London.

Players downing tools in a fashion like today, does not bode well.

The manager is irrelevant in that situation today.

It’s the worst result in Offaly Senior footballers history?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Comfortably, though the 30 point trimming to Armagh would take some topping.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

True Red wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:54 pm A fully fit and firing Rhode senior team (even with its high age profile)would beat London.

Players downing tools in a fashion like today, does not bode well.

The manager is irrelevant in that situation today.

It’s the worst result in Offaly Senior footballers history?

Agreed.. lads making out like London are better than us or we're the worst team in the world and looking for a big review and all this is nonsense.. this team was going well and had and still gas massive potential... the players simply did not show up today and when London started well they didn't bother.. its as simple as that. Blaming the manager is silly, the team were in good form and had they shown up or bothered, they would win comfortably.. one of 2 things will happen now, same as last year or we'll get a response following a backlash

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:08 pm Comfortably, though the 30 point trimming to Armagh would take some topping.
In that game vs Armagh, Offaly were just blown out of it.
The 2008 qualifier against Down was similar to today because the players were putting management under the bus.

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Bord na Mona man wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:25 pm
pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:08 pm Comfortably, though the 30 point trimming to Armagh would take some topping.
The 2008 qualifier against Down was similar to today because the players were putting management under the bus.
Do ya reckon thats what it was?

What are the obvious signs that that’s the case, in your opinion? Surely lads don’t go out to play badly and or lose.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Imagine losing to a team by 14 points and trying to argue we were still the best team… I’d implore you all to stop engaging with this troll.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:38 pm
Bord na Mona man wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:25 pm
Do ya reckon thats what it was?

What are the obvious signs that that’s the case, in your opinion? Surely lads don’t go out to play badly and or lose.
I think the fact we didn't win comfortably is a sign to be honest, if we played or tried at all we'd have at least won.. I don't think it's a case of throwing management under the bus, I think they've probably just switched off and not bothered probably had the sure its only London attidudr and didnt go at it, maybe not all the players but enough of them to make the difference? I dunno, things could look very different after next weekend.