Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
JohnnyBoy24
Junior B

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Hard to know what to make of that game - some great stuff and some awful stuff ( meath brought it back to 5 pts from 14).
We sorta dropped to there level at times but played some lovely stuff all the same.
I don't think we should be getting ahead of ourselves just yet , Down and Kerry will be massive games as today's results would suggest.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

JohnnyBoy24 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:19 pm Hard to know what to make of that game - some great stuff and some awful stuff ( meath brought it back to 5 pts from 14).
We sorta dropped to there level at times but played some lovely stuff all the same.
I don't think we should be getting ahead of ourselves just yet , Down and Kerry will be massive games as today's results would suggest.

A 21 point win in 3rd gear at most.. it'll do grand.. I don't believe Down or Kerry will pose us any real problems laois beat Kerry by 10 , we were probably 10 better than both laois and westmeath.. still believe we're a cut above these teams on our day including laois, just need a full team playing consistently and fluently together

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Just a little side note for today , 2 Carrig & Riverstown men on opposing teams today as Willie Gleeson was on the bench for Meath.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

A great success for the Tipperary outfit :lol:

G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

How do they qualify for meath just a side note

I didn't have to look at the user name to see who was saying we were in 3rd gear what absolute scutter

Offaly were a strong team starting there was no 3rd gear I'd actually love to know how you came to that analysis

We brought on screeney at half time what sort of gear Is that for 3rd gear

Troy was vulnerable for one of the goals he was on the square and meath were on the 21 why was he out if the goals do we relay on Kiely and coneely to rescue the back line even tho one could be faulted for the 3rd

Played great in the foward line Mitchel dropped a few of the easy ones but was unbelievable outfield scored some great scores to his credit

Why they took oisin off when he needs the time was questing did all he could

Won well in the end never in doubt but need to sharpen up in the backs amd some odd decisions brain duigan played off a pass when he didn't need to and then it was dropped

And aswell for context every credit to all players it's a big commitment for a county team
Last edited by G91 on Sun May 05, 2024 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

Last edited by G91 on Sat May 04, 2024 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

greenairfield wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:52 pm A great success for the Tipperary outfit :lol:
Petty comment. Would expect nothing less from a Birr man 🙄

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

G91 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:50 pm How do they qualify for westmeath just a side note

I didn't haveto look at the user name to see who was saying we were in 3rd gear what absolute scutter

Offaly were a strong team starting there was no 3rd gear I'd actually love to know how you came to that analysis

Troy was vulnerable for one of the goals he was on the square and meath were on the 21 why was he out if the goals do we relay on Kiely and coneely to rescue the back line even tho one could be faulted for the 3rd

Played great in the foward line Mitchel dropped all the easy ones but was unbelievable outfield scored some great scores to his credit

Won well in the end never in doubt but need to sharpen up in the backs amd some odd decisions brain duignam played off a pass when he didn't need to and then it wa dropped

And aswell for context every credit to all players it's a big commitment for a county team
Leave down the phone and go for a pint or a walk or something.
Life must be horrible being so negative the whole time.
If Offaly needed to win by 35 points today, they could have.
That’s how it was third gear.

FaithfulFuture
Junior B
Club: S

Post by FaithfulFuture »

Positives
- A win is a win. Decent score put up too.
- Delighted for Charlie Mitchell he really was in the zone today and hopefully today will ignite his season. He is a class player and a match for any defender on his day.
- Sampson and Cahill played well and we will need them leading the way as we work our way through the competition.

Negatives
-3.16 is a big score to ship against what is essentially a third tier team.
- Two very soft goals conceded. Has our full back line actually quelled any goal opportunities this season? Once a forward line runs at us, they seem to just score goals fairly easily. I would like to see a bit of tenacity from them.
- half back line were not as imposing as I would like although Shirley will grow from the experience.
- Troy needs to be a little bit more solid and was a little bit disappointed with his shot stopping.
- unless he was carrying a knock, surely Oisin K needed game time. Not sure why he was whipped off at halftime.

Overall, I think we have physically bulked up from where we were two or three years ago and we seem to be playing to a decent structure.....but when teams run at us, we shrink.
Kerry and Down will be well aware of this, so I think we are going to have to tighten up and show a lot more ruthlessness. The next three games are well within our grasp but it will come down to mental strength I feel and the next month will tell us a lot about this bunch of players.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

In regards to oisin been taken off it could well be a managed return to hurling for him. He has had terrible run of Injury and its a phased return to play. Which is what should have happened with ravenhill.

G91
All Star

Post by G91 »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:39 pm
G91 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:50 pm How do they qualify for westmeath just a side note

I didn't haveto look at the user name to see who was saying we were in 3rd gear what absolute scutter

Played great in the foward line Mitchel dropped all the easy ones but was unbelievable outfield scored some great scores to his credit

Won well in the end never in doubt but need to sharpen up in the backs amd some odd decisions brain duignam played off a pass when he didn't need to and then it wa dropped

Leave down the phone and go for a pint or a walk or something.
Life must be horrible being so negative the whole time.
If Offaly needed to win by 35 points today, they could have.
That’s how it was third gear.
Oh sure sorry let's not point out the obvious and be blind and say it was brilliant change the name to positive vibes only forum

I have 0 issues against Any player here I admire every single one who puts on the Jersey or shows up its hard work

I say it as I see it there's no third gear when you have to bring on Adam screeny at half time if the team was cruising

I just as much as anyone here would love nothing more than succes I've followed them all around the country paid for every ticket

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

greenairfield wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:52 pm A great success for the Tipperary outfit :lol:
Probably the stupidest, most idiotic and most immature comment I’ve seen on here in years.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

:D

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

3-16 is a big score, 5-31 is a lot bigger.. we got our biggest hammering ever by tipp, we scored 3-18 the same day, common enough in a game like this, the nature of the game.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Watched on clubber tv and the most important aspect was get the win, 2 points with no injuries and move onto the next game.

I wasn’t aware until reading Kevin Corrigans report that scoring difference if 3 teams are level only apply against the head to head on each other. A good idea then to replace lads with more fringe players without thinking of points difference.

As for the Kerry game next, for me this is a semi final, win and Laois beat down it is an offaly vs Laois final no matter how results go on the last day, lose and we are relying on a miracle.

Couple of big weeks for both the seniors and u20s, as mentioned some players might have 2 games played for the u20s before the senior game against Kerry.