Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joey1001
County player

Re: Offaly Under 20s hurling 2024

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 pm
joey1001 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:05 pm
private joker wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:01 pm What he says and what he thinks would be different I'd say. He wants the Dublin job in due course and succes with westmeath would help him in attaining objective. He needs all u20s to play and probably wants that to happen. Not an easy decision and unfortunate to be in thst situation.
You'd expect the county board to make it an easy decision for him, play your best team or P45.. senior team has to take priority here and same in Offaly.. would be shocking if we were saving our u 20 players for a lower grade
No, what’s actually shocking is playing one of the star U20 players knowing he wasn’t fully fit and now having him be out injured for both Seniors and U20’s…
Jeez lad do you ever give it a rest? Where did I say it was ok to play an injured player? If all players are fit and available they play with the senior team as priority, that's what I said!

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

I don't know I think succes at this age group is very important I didn't see the need for starting dan he's a bigger player for under 20 there are lads on the Senoir pannel good enough to play instead

It's just not right why should the whole under 20 pannel have to suffer them lads deserve every chance of success they can get ,

They gathered back support the crowds last year was something else

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

G91 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:35 pm I don't know I think succes at this age group is very important I didn't see the need for starting dan he's a bigger player for under 20 there are lads on the Senoir pannel good enough to play instead

It's just not right why should the whole under 20 pannel have to suffer them lads deserve every chance of success they can get ,

They gathered back support the crowds last year was something else

If those u-20 have ambition and I think they do, they will all want Offaly senior team to be in Leinster next year and they will want to be a part of that instead of the McDonagh cup. I guarantee none of them have a problem with their team mates being prioritised for the senior team, it's the most important team. If a player is available and fit he plays for the best/most important team.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

U20 is developmental championship. The liam mcarthy teams couldn't play their best teams for last few years. Be great to win but offaly have to win the joe mcdonagh. On the ravenhill issue , he must have passed all return to play protocol and is just very unlucky. I'd hate to think they are playing injured players against professional advice.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Laois in the quarters now is it? The beat kildare last night.

Any idea if we would be due to be home or away ?

Repeat of minor final two years ago should be interesting.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

JimBwobb wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 am Laois in the quarters now is it? The beat kildare last night.

Laois it is.

Offaly are listed first on Leinster GAA’s fixtures so presumably that means we’re at home?

Faithfully
Junior A

Post by Faithfully »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:12 pm
JimBwobb wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 am Laois in the quarters now is it? The beat kildare last night.

Laois it is.

Offaly are listed first on Leinster GAA’s fixtures so presumably that means we’re at home?
Do we have a home and away agreement with them?

We got the Dublin semi at home last year because it was our turn to host.

del
County player

Post by del »

Home game
All underage games in Offaly switched from Wednesday to Thursday . County board have sent out a notice . Well done to county board hopefully a crowd turns up to support the lads injuries mounting up tho

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

If Dan Ravenhill and Adam Screeney are unavailable we could be there for the taking, along with the heavy workload currently in place for Dan Bourke and Cathal King.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

frankthetank wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:58 pm If Dan Ravenhill and Adam Screeney are unavailable we could be there for the taking, along with the heavy workload currently in place for Dan Bourke and Cathal King.
I think Screeney will be fine, Kelly said it was a back issue but precautionary not to play him.

I also think we’ll have more than enough to account for Laois.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Offaly are a good cut above laois at this level and should beat them with little fuss, I'd be protecting some of the lads that are playing senior so they are available for the senior team to give meath a good beating and continue our good momentum, far more important.

Faithfully
Junior A

Post by Faithfully »

joey1001 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:56 am Offaly are a good cut above laois at this level and should beat them with little fuss, I'd be protecting some of the lads that are playing senior so they are available for the senior team to give meath a good beating and continue our good momentum, far more important.
We will give Meath a good beating without King, Shirley, Bourke and Screeney. They are diabolically bad. No point in running them into the ground. They need to focus on getting over the quarter final and then back to senior for the tougher games against Kerry and Down.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Faithfully wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:09 pm
joey1001 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:56 am Offaly are a good cut above laois at this level and should beat them with little fuss, I'd be protecting some of the lads that are playing senior so they are available for the senior team to give meath a good beating and continue our good momentum, far more important.
We will give Meath a good beating without King, Shirley, Bourke and Screeney. They are diabolically bad. No point in running them into the ground. They need to focus on getting over the quarter final and then back to senior for the tougher games against Kerry and Down.

I don't envisage any of the remaining games to be tough, we should win all 10 points plus but changing the team was our downfall last year, we lacked a bit yesterday in finding each other with passes and lacked a bit of fluidity at times and we still won easy. Get our best team out hurling together and build toward the final with laois, get us free flowing and playing to our best. Cannot be minding u 20 players for a competition where they have little chance of winning something. Huge chance to get back to leinster and stay there, Dublin and Welford will be within our reach over the next 2 years.

Faithfully
Junior A

Post by Faithfully »

joey1001 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:11 pm
Faithfully wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:09 pm

I don't envisage any of the remaining games to be tough, we should win all 10 points plus but changing the team was our downfall last year, we lacked a bit yesterday in finding each other with passes and lacked a bit of fluidity at times and we still won easy. Get our best team out hurling together and build toward the final with laois, get us free flowing and playing to our best. Cannot be minding u 20 players for a competition where they have little chance of winning something. Huge chance to get back to leinster and stay there, Dublin and Welford will be within our reach over the next 2 years.
To say they have little chance of winning is patently incorrect. They may well come up short against a Kilkenny or Galway but they will certainly have no inferiority complex. This is a great bunch of lads who are Leinster champions. The notion that they would have little chance of winning would be appalling to each and every one of them.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Offaly are probably 2nd favourite to win leinster and top 4 to win all ireland. Could win leinster but its corks all ireland to win again.