Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

And when did YOU start going to football matches?
Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:40 pm hope my points dont come across as such, certainly not intended...players reading this forum?? i dont think too many would be..we are most certainly on outside looking in to be fair..
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Dont like these 'challenge' questions, cant see how it effects any other posters what/when what games I attend, I know many go to games and they (privately to me) don't really read games that well, nothing wrong with that, we are all different, I made 2 league games this year, unfortunately(or not) like many parents i have children playing other codes along with Gaa so (unfortunately?) I have to cover many avenues at weekends and cant just be selfish and go to all games because I want to...cost alone is a factor too..having to come on here and 'account' for myself is abit much..I wont be responding to any more of these sort of 'what do you know anyway' draw outs..I have a life outside Gaa...tks to all other posters who come on and throw in their tuppence (attending games or not)and keep the debate open minded...that's the way it should be..

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:05 pm Dont like these 'challenge' questions, cant see how it effects any other posters what/when what games I attend, I know many go to games and they (privately to me) don't really read games that well, nothing wrong with that, we are all different, I made 2 league games this year, unfortunately(or not) like many parents i have children playing other codes along with Gaa so (unfortunately?) I have to cover many avenues at weekends and cant just be selfish and go to all games because I want to...cost alone is a factor too..having to come on here and 'account' for myself is abit much..I wont be responding to any more of these sort of 'what do you know anyway' draw outs..I have a life outside Gaa...tks to all other posters who come on and throw in their tuppence (attending games or not)and keep the debate open minded...that's the way it should be..

Throwing in Tuppence is grand, commenting on games and performances and forming an opinion on players and the team and the teams prospects without having been to games is different, to be Fair if you have an opinion on performance and prospects, posters are entitled to challenge you on that opinion, that's debate. And are entitled to say "my opinion is more valid as I've seen all the games". I don't mean to come across as disrespectful but some people (and I'm not saying you are one of them) are just here to slate the team/their performance and their prospects. Having been to all the league games and takin all circumstances into account there is simply no need for all the negativity.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/gaa/1 ... melee.html

Dylan Hyland in the clear to play against Leix, Nigel Dunne suspended for this red card.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Down a very limited team.

Fit and physical in a way we are not, but been made a show of here by westmeath in my opinion.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:49 pm Down a very limited team.

Fit and physical in a way we are not, but been made a show of here by westmeath in my opinion.
Westmeath are a good team, a cut above Offaly and others in division 3, as I've said here before look how they performed in the all Ireland series last year. Down aren't too bad in fairness, big difference in Division 3 final, both teams way ahead of both division 4 teams, bodes well for Offaly against laois

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:56 pm

Westmeath are a good team, a cut above Offaly and others in division 3, as I've said here before look how they performed in the all Ireland series last year. Down aren't too bad in fairness, big difference in Division 3 final, both teams way ahead of both division 4 teams, bodes well for Offaly against laois
Are you for real or attempting satire?

How on earth have you watched that division 4 final and come away thinking it “bodes well for Offaly”

Laois look a cut above us.

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Took comfort from the div 3 final knowing that we probably could have got their if one or two breaks went our way and we could have been at least as competitive as Down proved to be

Worried the way laois put leitrim away so easily. In saying that, leitrim lost to wicklow last year and we saw what offaly were capable of against wicklow this year

All thought experiments really, extrapolating etc

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:26 pm

How on earth have you watched that division 4 final and come away thinking it “bodes well for Offaly”

The quality of that game was shocking in comparison to the division 3 final, Leitrim were terrible and left their whole back line open and for long parts Laois werent great and it go away from Leitrim in the end, first time in croke park and tactically terrible.. the division 3 final was on after you know the division Offaly were in, the higher division. Laois wouldn't have been competitive against either Westmeath or Down.. what exactly makes you say Laois look a cut above us?? I don't know who you are but you haven't been to any games this year and you're not an Offaly man it else your bitter over something and don't like your county

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:34 pm Took comfort from the div 3 final knowing that we probably could have got their if one or two breaks went our way and we could have been at least as competitive as Down proved to be

Worried the way laois put leitrim away so easily. In saying that, leitrim lost to wicklow last year and we saw what offaly were capable of against wicklow this year

All thought experiments really, extrapolating etc
Leitrim were completely hapless and came with a "give it a go" attitude.. they were like school kids, all gone up the field and no one back, left acres of space for Laois and it took Laois a long time to take advantage of it.. once a gap opened on the scoreline, the game got away, they won't get anything like that space against Offaly.

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Offaly made hard work of beating leitrim last time we played them.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:47 pm

The quality of that game was shocking in comparison to the division 3 final, Leitrim were terrible and left their whole back line open and for long parts Laois werent great and it go away from Leitrim in the end, first time in croke park and tactically terrible.. the division 3 final was on after you know the division Offaly were in, the higher division. Laois wouldn't have been competitive against either Westmeath or Down.. what exactly makes you say Laois look a cut above us?? I don't know who you are but you haven't been to any games this year and you're not an Offaly man it else your bitter over something and don't like your county
I can guarantee I’ve been to more games this year than you because based on your opinions you haven’t been at an Offaly football game since 1982.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:06 pm
joey1001 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:47 pm

I can guarantee I’ve been to more games this year than you because based on your opinions you haven’t been at an Offaly football game since 1982.
I wasn't born in 82 , you obviously we're, drunk on success of the past and can't face reality, expecting Offaly to be winning all Irelands 🤣. All you do is come on here and criticise the teams and if someone praises them you knock it . What was your thoughts on the under 20s beating Dublin in Parnell park today?

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Don’t think either laois or offaly will fear each other; pretty sure the last time they played in championship in o moore park laois beat offaly handy enough

Worth remembering that as bad as laois are they were in a leinster final (though well beat) not all that long ago. as catastrophically bad as the teams outside dublin are, offaly havent gotten to a final since 06, so its about time we sh¡t or get off the pot , no reason why they cant be the best of the rest

FJB
Junior B
Club: Gracefield

Post by FJB »

If Laois were a bit more clinical/efficient, they'd certainly be a tough proposition.
I'm still convinced we'll have enough for them. Our backs are a good bit better than Leitrim's and our forwards will surely test them a bit more than today's effort.