Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Negativenancy
Junior C

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by Negativenancy »

Cian farrell is injured . Waiting result on a scan to determine if he's done acl again. Happened on Sunday

del
County player

Post by del »

Cian Farrell re joined the panel wasn’t gone for long but sustained a knee injury last weekend . Hopefully it’s not a serious one .
That’s a strong team the experimenting seems to be over and seasoned seniors like Declan Hogan Anton and ruairi mcnamee are back where they belong . Starting .
Get a win this weekend hopefully and that will tell us more as the last day Wicklow were atrocious but Offaly played well so credit where it is due

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Yea looks close to as strong as we are. Management seems to have finally realised that lots of the older lads are still better than the young lads - for now at least. Good to see Hogan back at 3 where he belongs. Dempsey can give us something going forward from 6 or 7. Dempsey Named at 6 which is interesting, with Furlong going to 7. Think playing 6 was too much to ask for Furlong in first year up senior. Class act but he is still only 20.

We have some physical presence now in MF which was lacking earlier on and with McEvoy on bench, we have proper competition here now.

Ruairi Mc has shown his value at 11 and deserves to start as does Anton, who will probably rove from 13 spot. Hyland and Hayes are experienced and good clever footballers who are mobile enough to play those roles.

Still think Nigel Dunne is hard done by in not starting inside given he is best score taker this year but maybe he is more seen as 20 min man when game opens up. Young lads need to develop too for future so maybe this is important for us going forward and justification could easily be made.

We have every chance of winning with this team. Best of luck to the lads.
jimbob

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

jimbob17 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:28 pm Yea looks close to as strong as we are. Management seems to have finally realised that lots of the older lads are still better than the young lads - for now at least. Good to see Hogan back at 3 where he belongs. Dempsey can give us something going forward from 6 or 7. Dempsey Named at 6 which is interesting, with Furlong going to 7. Think playing 6 was too much to ask for Furlong in first year up senior. Class act but he is still only 20.

We have some physical presence now in MF which was lacking earlier on and with McEvoy on bench, we have proper competition here now.

Ruairi Mc has shown his value at 11 and deserves to start as does Anton, who will probably rove from 13 spot. Hyland and Hayes are experienced and good clever footballers who are mobile enough to play those roles.

Still think Nigel Dunne is hard done by in not starting inside given he is best score taker this year but maybe he is more seen as 20 min man when game opens up. Young lads need to develop too for future so maybe this is important for us going forward and justification could easily be made.

We have every chance of winning with this team. Best of luck to the lads.
I’m not sure why you feel the need to post here every week of your bemusement at Nigel not starting.

If you were at the first league game against Westmeath you’d have seen he no longer has the legs and is much better used with 20 minutes left when the opposition are slowing down.

Not much more to it than that and no amount of whinging will change a fact.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:22 pm
Lone Shark wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:00 pm Honestly, going into the weekend, I still reckoned they had a promotion chance. They fecked up a good position against Clare to lose by a point (where have we heard that story before :roll: ) and then went on to win the games I expected them to win with something to spare.

That left them going to Newry and in a situation where a win or draw would leave them right in the mix, and even a narrow defeat wouldn't have left them without hope (they win out, Down beat Westmeath, and they take Westmeath on the head to head) but instead they've done their scoring difference a lot of harm, so are probably out of the hunt. I genuinely thought they had a proper chance in that game, and I actually backed them on the handicap when I saw that Odhrán Murdock was out of the Down team.

So I got that one wrong, but if I'm to be completely honest, I still think they're a decent team, and I still think Offaly could go to Markievicz Park, play well and fall short. But I was wrong last weekend, and hopefully I'll be wrong this weekend too! :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure what lads are looking at.. after Clare beat us I lined out the circumstances (including missing players, ground, manager coming in, form that left us 9 points clear of a Clare team in the second half who are pushing for promotion) that were holding us back and pointed out the form lines that actually showed us in a good light where lads thought we were terrible and heading for division 4.. on the basis of the above I predicted a better than expected showing against Down followed by 3 comfortable wins in the last 3 games, so far so good for my prediction.. I would suggest that the form to date and confidence/momentum from a big win albeit against wicklow would have made Offaly slight favourites against Sligo even factoring in home advantage.. however that's not the case and I think Offaly are excellent value at 6/4 and I expect them to go to Sligo and win by 3/4 points, followed by an easy win against Limerick. We can then look ahead to Leinster and the tailteann cup
Thank God nobody listens to your advice or they wouldn’t have a red cent left.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:19 pm
joey1001 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:22 pm
Lone Shark wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:00 pm Honestly, going into the weekend, I still reckoned they had a promotion chance. They fecked up a good position against Clare to lose by a point (where have we heard that story before :roll: ) and then went on to win the games I expected them to win with something to spare.

That left them going to Newry and in a situation where a win or draw would leave them right in the mix, and even a narrow defeat wouldn't have left them without hope (they win out, Down beat Westmeath, and they take Westmeath on the head to head) but instead they've done their scoring difference a lot of harm, so are probably out of the hunt. I genuinely thought they had a proper chance in that game, and I actually backed them on the handicap when I saw that Odhrán Murdock was out of the Down team.

So I got that one wrong, but if I'm to be completely honest, I still think they're a decent team, and I still think Offaly could go to Markievicz Park, play well and fall short. But I was wrong last weekend, and hopefully I'll be wrong this weekend too! :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure what lads are looking at.. after Clare beat us I lined out the circumstances (including missing players, ground, manager coming in, form that left us 9 points clear of a Clare team in the second half who are pushing for promotion) that were holding us back and pointed out the form lines that actually showed us in a good light where lads thought we were terrible and heading for division 4.. on the basis of the above I predicted a better than expected showing against Down followed by 3 comfortable wins in the last 3 games, so far so good for my prediction.. I would suggest that the form to date and confidence/momentum from a big win albeit against wicklow would have made Offaly slight favourites against Sligo even factoring in home advantage.. however that's not the case and I think Offaly are excellent value at 6/4 and I expect them to go to Sligo and win by 3/4 points, followed by an easy win against Limerick. We can then look ahead to Leinster and the tailteann cup
Thank God nobody listens to your advice or they wouldn’t have a red cent left.
Better than expected performance in down - tick
Comfortable win over Wicklow - tick
Comfortable win over Sligo - draw in shitty conditions not suiting Offaly, turned out a 50/50 game, 6/4 was wrong price about Offaly then (I'm sure lone shark will explain that to you)
Comfortable win against Limerick next week will still happen - come back to me then 👍

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

It's very sad that so called "supporters" slate their county, predict defeat for them and then can't wait to come on here to say "I told you so"

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:38 pm It's very sad that so called "supporters" slate their county, predict defeat for them and then can't wait to come on here to say "I told you so"
You might point out where I did any one of those things.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Wicklow have beaten Limerick therefore relegating Limerick.

Offaly are safe unless they lose to Limerick and Wicklow beat Antrim.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Great performance but why not win the game
No25 the difference.
We could easily be a promotion race not a relegation one
Something stinks
But someone pays the cheque?

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Superhans75 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:05 pm Great performance but why not win the game
No25 the difference.
We could easily be a promotion race not a relegation one
Something stinks
But someone pays the cheque?
Hans please stop posting in this forum

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:04 pm
jimbob17 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:28 pm Yea looks close to as strong as we are. Management seems to have finally realised that lots of the older lads are still better than the young lads - for now at least. Good to see Hogan back at 3 where he belongs. Dempsey can give us something going forward from 6 or 7. Dempsey Named at 6 which is interesting, with Furlong going to 7. Think playing 6 was too much to ask for Furlong in first year up senior. Class act but he is still only 20.

Still think Nigel Dunne is hard done by in not starting inside given he is best score taker this year but maybe he is more seen as 20 min man when game opens up. Young

I’m not sure why you feel the need to post here every week of your bemusement at Nigel not starting.

If you were at the first league game against Westmeath you’d have seen he no longer has the legs and is much better used with 20 minutes left when the opposition are slowing down.

Dunne legs may be gone I'm not so sure but your reference of the westmeath game is a poor argument as he was our best forward that day and that's why everyone was bewildered he got subbed anyway that's neither here nor there at this stage..
I would prefer him coming on so I'd agree with you there

What are the permutations for next week
..draw or win we are up essentially

Loose we still safe unless Wicklow win?

How do posters sum up this league campaign to date?

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Tmacmahon wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:55 pm

Still think Nigel Dunne is hard done by in not starting inside given he is best score taker this year but maybe he is more seen as 20 min man when game opens up. Young

Dunne legs may be gone I'm not so sure but your reference of the westmeath game is a poor argument as he was our best forward that day and that's why everyone was bewildered he got subbed anyway that's neither here nor there at this stage..

He had kicked two points but was constantly losing his man because he hadn’t the legs to follow him, it was clear as day he needed to be subbed.

I posted the permutations above.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Offaly will mote than likely easily account for Limerick next weekend

The graph is rising with the group of players declan Kelly has

I'd like to see cathal flynn or Keith o Neill at 11 the next day

Offaly by 6

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Tmacmahon wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:55 pm

To sum up the campaign to date, Westmeath are ahead of us and we were never going to beat them given their performances in the all Ireland series last year, we were short our best forward and best defender also

Going to Antrim is never easy and a 1 point loss not too bad

A lot of nonsense talk about the Clare game which was unnecessary, a penalty at the end goes in we win, Clare are proving to be decent and we managed to get ourselves 9 points ahead of them, freak way it happened and we learned a lot.

Good performance in Down in fairness, we did better here than most

Super performance the last day, again a lot of nonsense talk about how bad Wicklow were, we were also very good

Today was a bit disappointing but it was away and bad conditions.

Expect a comfortable victory the next day.

New management, couple of very strong teams in the division, couple of unlucky results, bad wintery conditions, bedding in new players, new management, missing best forward and best defender early on in the campaign, recovered as our form suggested with a good performance in down followed by our biggest win for yonks, taken all circumstances into account with a big win over Limerick the next day, a very positive campaign overall. Our expectations will be a win against also, will ship a heavy defeat to Dublin, can't do much about that! And then a good crack at the tailteann cup with plenty of positivity then to build for next year