Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by Fairplayalways »

joey1001 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:52 am
Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:54 pm Off topic but was reading above about venues and advantages of home and away games and travelling etc..I was looking back on old league games from 1980s on youtube at weekend...games were all of a Sunday afternoon, packed terraces behind the goals as football/sliothar (the old O'Neills one we all felt 10ft tall if you managed to be lucky enough to get one, brought in at night and placed under the stanley range to dry)..anyway..the hurling games this sliothar was carried into tackles and after a physical battles, not these 'rucks" and 'turning over possession' etc. the sliothar was pucked over the bar, into the goal or hit wide by a player skilfull and strong enough to win such a battle, the referee used common sense in the main (now any hand or hurling or leg put in is an instant free and maybe a card) - now the minute the opposing player presents to challenge the sliothar which is a shell of the old type is instantly passed and shot on target from all sorts of distances by a loose player, apparently this is better more skillfull hurling now..also the footballs/sliothars that go over the bar now go into an empty flood lit terrace of a Saturday night...but again games are supposedly better now and more skillfull...nah...
Aul lad nonsense talk, why would you carry the ball into the tackle instead of popping it off to a loose player who can have a shot at the target? Tackling is a skill, an art, not bulldozing in and fouling a player! The game is so far on from the 80's and so much better. Getting the ball and hitting it 70 yards hoping for the best, opposition getting it and pucking or kicking it back.. how anyone would consider that more skilful than the smart way the game is played now is beyond me. I watched games from the 70's/80's etc in both codes and they were horrid to look at, no skill, no intelligence. If a lad gets the ball burst him, if you get it hit it 60 yards back to the opposing team. Both games now are fantastic, players are intelligent and tuned in.. there's a massive battle between defenses and attackers, there's tactics and player's and managers finding smartest ways to outdo the opposition, speed, higher scoring from distance and angles, more physical without the dirt. No comparison.
there are many who dont think its better, maybe half empty grounds support my theory..nevera hurl broken now, the physicality in football is gone now and instead of two players marking each other, 2 or 3 get around one player with the ball..like whats player with ball supposed to do..games are too soft now in both codes..more skilful...yes as there is way less physicality, abd as said put hand, foot or hurl in now and whistle goes immediately...wouldnt say auld lads talk, play two games, one old and current side by side on a screen, the more exciting game will 9/10 be the older one...in general now...no need to come back and tell me 'the game is totally different now'...i know that l, thats part if my point..each to their own and all that..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Won't some body think of the poor auld fellas!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

What are the odds game is moved out of birr?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

frankthetank wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:02 pm 2pm Saturdays. Where Inter County hurling went to die.
This is a bit of a tangent to the main theme of the thread, but this is absolutely an issue. It's a dreadful time for a game, and one of the "controversies" you're sure to hear about every year is the weekend where the All-Ireland hurling quarter-finals are Saturday, so that the Tailteann Cup final can be played in Croke Park on the Sunday. It's funny that when Tipp, Cork, Galway etc. are involved, everyone suddenly realises that Saturday afternoon is not a good time to get a large crowd - but it's perfectly fine to have Joe Mac teams play every single one of their group games at that time.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:50 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:54 pm Off topic but was reading above about venues and advantages of home and away games and travelling etc..I was looking back on old league games from 1980s on youtube at weekend...games were all of a Sunday afternoon, packed terraces behind the goals as football/sliothar (the old O'Neills one we all felt 10ft tall if you managed to be lucky enough to get one, brought in at night and placed under the stanley range to dry)..anyway..the hurling games this sliothar was carried into tackles and after a physical battles, not these 'rucks" and 'turning over possession' etc. the sliothar was pucked over the bar, into the goal or hit wide by a player skilfull and strong enough to win such a battle, the referee used common sense in the main (now any hand or hurling or leg put in is an instant free and maybe a card) - now the minute the opposing player presents to challenge the sliothar which is a shell of the old type is instantly passed and shot on target from all sorts of distances by a loose player, apparently this is better more skillfull hurling now..also the footballs/sliothars that go over the bar now go into an empty flood lit terrace of a Saturday night...but again games are supposedly better now and more skillfull...nah...
Aul lad nonsense talk, why would you carry the ball into the tackle instead of popping it off to a loose player who can have a shot at the target? Tackling is a skill, an art, not bulldozing in and fouling a player! The game is so far on from the 80's and so much better. Getting the ball and hitting it 70 yards hoping for the best, opposition getting it and pucking or kicking it back.. how anyone would consider that more skilful than the smart way the game is played now is beyond me. I watched games from the 70's/80's etc in both codes and they were horrid to look at, no skill, no intelligence. If a lad gets the ball burst him, if you get it hit it 60 yards back to the opposing team. Both games now are fantastic, players are intelligent and tuned in.. there's a massive battle between defenses and attackers, there's tactics and player's and managers finding smartest ways to outdo the opposition, speed, higher scoring from distance and angles, more physical without the dirt. No comparison.
there are many who dont think its better, maybe half empty grounds support my theory..nevera hurl broken now, the physicality in football is gone now and instead of two players marking each other, 2 or 3 get around one player with the ball..like whats player with ball supposed to do..games are too soft now in both codes..more skilful...yes as there is way less physicality, abd as said put hand, foot or hurl in now and whistle goes immediately...wouldnt say auld lads talk, play two games, one old and current side by side on a screen, the more exciting game will 9/10 be the older one...in general now...no need to come back and tell me 'the game is totally different now'...i know that l, thats part if my point..each to their own and all that..
Well each to their own but the game is more physical now without a doubt, lads are way bigger stronger and harder hitting, there is actually more tackling and proper skilled tackling, the difference of course is the hitting is fair and skilled.. you're mixing it up, the game wasn't "physical" in the 70s 80s it was just dirty and full of cheap shots! The skill levels now are way way beyond, that's a fact. And what proves that more now is that players nowadays are able to show their skill despite maybe bring tackled by a couple of players.. Higher scoring games despite players being swamped by other players. Your argument about half empty grounds is void because more people attend games now, there are also far more games played also and there is a lot more going on for people to be doing nowadays. Couldn't watch a game from the 70s 80s it's putrid.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Gobbler wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:00 pm
faithfulfanatic wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:14 pm
Lone Shark wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:46 pm

Westmeath will be favourites for the Joe McDonagh, and Offaly have made significant progress this year. Those two things can be true at the same time. It's not nice to say it because the clear implication is that we had fallen way behind Westmeath, but the simple truth of the matter is that we had.

The gap is closing and the tables have turned completely at underage level, but until we beat them in a meaningful game, we can't say it's closed.

Offaly are favourites for the Joe McDonagh
Definitely not. Westmeath are standout favourites.

Looking at performances to date, id say our boys will struggle with both Westmeath and Laois. Westmeath I think are well ahead of us unfortunately at moment. Laois are physically a much bigger team and not short on confidence playing Offaly either. Offaly in both codes they are targeting big time and very confident too.

Defensively as a team from 1-15, therre is massive improvement needed. Conceding too many scores every game. Go back to mcdonagh cup last year, conceding far too much against pretty average opposition. Cork and Kilkenny put up a big number of scores when you consider the time of year and very heavy pitch conditions. On a firm sod, you are talking crazy scorelines.
Westmeath are not 'standout favourites'.

Offaly are literally the favourites. Merely stating facts.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:01 am
faithfulfanatic wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:14 pm

Offaly are favourites for the Joe McDonagh

Looking at performances to date, id say our boys will struggle with both Westmeath and Laois. Westmeath I think are well ahead of us unfortunately at moment. Laois are physically a much bigger team and not short on confidence playing Offaly either. Offaly in both codes they are targeting big time and very confident too.

Defensively as a team from 1-15, therre is massive improvement needed. Conceding too many scores every game. Go back to mcdonagh cup last year, conceding far too much against pretty average opposition. Cork and Kilkenny put up a big number of scores when you consider the time of year and very heavy pitch conditions. On a firm sod, you are talking crazy scorelines.

The previous posts point out the perils of favouritism.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:21 pm Won't some body think of the poor auld fellas!
For sure POH🤣🤣..like the games we aren't as good as we were years ago🤣🤣

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The best hurlers are now; and there's better yet to come.
Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:43 pm
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:21 pm Won't some body think of the poor auld fellas!
For sure POH🤣🤣..like the games we aren't as good as we were years ago🤣🤣
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

SearingDrive wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:00 pm
faithfulfanatic wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:01 am

The previous posts point out the perils of favouritism.

How could someone say "looking at the performances so far, we will struggle against Westmeath or laois? 🤨. This is the year where we take our place back above them where we belong, I believe we have already done that and will now join Wexford at the bottom of the big boys group.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

joey1001 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:08 am

Well each to their own but the game is more physical now without a doubt, lads are way bigger stronger and harder hitting, there is actually more tackling and proper skilled tackling, the difference of course is the hitting is fair and skilled.. you're mixing it up, the game wasn't "physical" in the 70s 80s it was just dirty and full of cheap shots! The skill levels now are way way beyond, that's a fact. And what proves that more now is that players nowadays are able to show their skill despite maybe bring tackled by a couple of players.. Higher scoring games despite players being swamped by other players. Your argument about half empty grounds is void because more people attend games now, there are also far more games played also and there is a lot more going on for people to be doing nowadays. Couldn't watch a game from the 70s 80s it's putrid.
come back and fuve me an example of where a sliothar goes over the bar now into a terrace full of spectators...or even half full...ok grounds are bigger now i suppose and more avail of 'the stand' in these venues, but for their size, Ulster games being the exception in the main, these stadiums are no where near full or even half full...it will bw the same this weekend...if dodging a tackle and pucking the ball unmarked for a score is a skill well then we are in bother with hurling and where will it end up in another 10/15 years if it evolves to the so called skill levels you say it has, perhaps games will go online altogether and contact will be non existent at all...we will agree to differ, on the skill level, but show me a full house stadium this weekend - even Tipp a nd Limerick will not be full house and no doubt large areas of stadium will be empty or closed...it used nor be like that..something has changed..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm
come back and give me an example of where a sliothar goes over the bar now into a terrace full of spectators...or even half full...ok grounds are bigger now i suppose and more avail of 'the stand' in these venues, but for their size, Ulster games being the exception in the main, these stadiums are no where near full or even half full...it will be the same this weekend...if dodging a tackle and pucking the ball unmarked for a score is a skill well then we are in bother with hurling and where will it end up in another 10/15 years if it evolves to the so called skill levels you say it has, perhaps games will go online altogether and contact will be non existent at all...we will agree to differ, on the skill level, but show me a full house stadium this weekend - even Tipp and Limerick will not be full house and no doubt large areas of stadium will be empty or closed...it used nor be like that..something has changed..I doubt if better games are doing it..

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Tickets cost more, costs more to go to matches. Matches are more often than not available to watch on TV or streaming outlets. Those are a few of the reasons why stadium are not as full as before. Plus more matches to attend than before where it was straight knockout.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Thoughts and views on tomorrow's game ?

Offaly resting under 20s and Charlie Mitchell rested/injured.

Clare resting a lot too.
Attachments
20240315_210955.jpg
20240315_210955.jpg (388.1 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
FB_IMG_1710524823955.jpg
FB_IMG_1710524823955.jpg (182.41 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm
come back and fuve me an example of where a sliothar goes over the bar now into a terrace full of spectators...or even half full...ok grounds are bigger now i suppose and more avail of 'the stand' in these venues, but for their size, Ulster games being the exception in the main, these stadiums are no where near full or even half full...it will bw the same this weekend...if dodging a tackle and pucking the ball unmarked for a score is a skill well then we are in bother with hurling and where will it end up in another 10/15 years if it evolves to the so called skill levels you say it has, perhaps games will go online altogether and contact will be non existent at all...we will agree to differ, on the skill level, but show me a full house stadium this weekend - even Tipp a nd Limerick will not be full house and no doubt large areas of stadium will be empty or closed...it used nor be like that..something has changed..
So what you're saying is that it's more skilful to try bulldoze through a man to get closer to the goal and still miss than sidestep a tackle lay off a ball to a man in a scoring position and score? Seriously??? You think belting a lad with a hurl or a box in football is more skilful than getting hands in on the ball and tackling properly or getting a hurl in and flicking it away? Or you just takin the Mick?? There is more contact in the game than ever before! I'd be pretty sure aswell average match attendances aren't any lower than they were one time, given the amount of games being played, even the underage games have big crowds. We won't agree to differ on the skill levels, it's simply disrespectful to players nowadays who give their whole lives to perfecting their skills compared to lads smokin' and drinking before a game .. it's about time that stuff was called out, comparing lads from back in the 80s who wouldn't get a puck or a kick of the ball today and who simply did not put the same into the game as the players nowadays, it's just disrespectful to current players. They are far stronger, far fitter, far more physical, far more skilful than players of previous era, there is no agree to differ, those are simply facts.. come back to me about the attendances when you have numbers