Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Lone Shark,

You amongst others had ranked Sligo highly enough before the league. Have we a chance against them or whats your view of them have you seen much of them or any commentary around how theyve performed?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Honestly, going into the weekend, I still reckoned they had a promotion chance. They fecked up a good position against Clare to lose by a point (where have we heard that story before :roll: ) and then went on to win the games I expected them to win with something to spare.

That left them going to Newry and in a situation where a win or draw would leave them right in the mix, and even a narrow defeat wouldn't have left them without hope (they win out, Down beat Westmeath, and they take Westmeath on the head to head) but instead they've done their scoring difference a lot of harm, so are probably out of the hunt. I genuinely thought they had a proper chance in that game, and I actually backed them on the handicap when I saw that Odhrán Murdock was out of the Down team.

So I got that one wrong, but if I'm to be completely honest, I still think they're a decent team, and I still think Offaly could go to Markievicz Park, play well and fall short. But I was wrong last weekend, and hopefully I'll be wrong this weekend too! :lol: :lol:
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

I was talking to a Wicklow selector yesterday
He was saying how poor both teams were on Sunday ( sourgrapes,) I heard him out
He did make some valid points about them missing players which all counties have to contend with.
But one point he was probably correct on
Against a more physical counties in Leinster
Kildare ,ect we won't have got the space
And probably got run into the corners more
And blocked more .
I didn't agree with everything but at least
He was forthright.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Sometimes a losing team official does see things both with their own team and sometimes with the team that beats them..Sligo will certainly show really where we are...I see elsewhere supporters seem to think we are ahead of Laois for example as they are Division 4...take Waterford out of Division 4, chop and change Laois, Wexford, Tipp and Leitrim, and the results would be all the same and the same competitive level etc..there is little difference in standard, Down, and at a push Westmeath being the exceptions on merit of their positions right now, forget all this "if so and so had scored a goal when he could have etc."...all teams will have had those moments, often early on and miss them and end up losing fairly heavily, they will say "what if" etc..that is sport..we may be playing fairly ok but we only had pur first win against a poor Wicklow team on the floor last Sunday...Sligo will be a more accurate guide...

Geansai Gorm
Senior
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Geansai Gorm »

Superhans75 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:16 am Against a more physical counties in Leinster
Kildare ,ect we won't have got the space
And probably got run into the corners more
And blocked more .
At the way Kildare are going at the moment, I wouldn't have much fear there. :roll:

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

Famous last word.
Sligo game is going to be Kelly his Waterloo
Moment.
Win would be great.
But we need to beat teams at there home to progress..
A loss is not disastrous we have the Limerick game to save ourselves
But heaven forbid Wicklow/Limerick draw
Or a Limerick win .
Looking forward to Sligo on Paddy's day but not the journey
Have a good weekend 👍

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Am I missing something? A Limerick win would almost guarantee both them and Offaly staying up.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Hyper wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:57 pm Am I missing something? A Limerick win would almost guarantee both them and Offaly staying up.
Nope, one of Limerick or Offaly will be going down.
Antrim in 5th place are already on 4 points, plus they have the head-to-head tie-breaker over both Offaly and Limerick.
They also play Wicklow on the last day.
Unless Superhans gave that Wicklow selector a serious masterclass on how to win, I can't see an already relegated Wicklow conjuring up a win on the last day vs Antrim.

Superhans75
All Star

Post by Superhans75 »

Weird things happen lol
I went to get tickets for some friends
For the Sligo game
20 euro
I paid 12 10 days ago
There must be some serious inflation
Up there 👀👀
Might have to call in the IMF
Or knowing the powers that be EMF !!!
Your Unbelievable lol 👍

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Superhans75 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:04 pm Weird things happen lol
For the Sligo game
20 euro
I paid 12 10 days ago
Up there 👀👀
Your Unbelievable lol 👍
Can this dude be added to Junk mail, #LOL#Weather#Nuts :!:

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:49 pm
Superhans75 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:04 pm Weird things happen lol
For the Sligo game
20 euro
I paid 12 10 days ago
Up there 👀👀
Your Unbelievable lol 👍
Can this dude be added to Junk mail, #LOL#Weather#Nuts :!:
Sadly he thinks he is funny. Best to ignore his rants.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Lone Shark wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:00 pm Honestly, going into the weekend, I still reckoned they had a promotion chance. They fecked up a good position against Clare to lose by a point (where have we heard that story before :roll: ) and then went on to win the games I expected them to win with something to spare.

That left them going to Newry and in a situation where a win or draw would leave them right in the mix, and even a narrow defeat wouldn't have left them without hope (they win out, Down beat Westmeath, and they take Westmeath on the head to head) but instead they've done their scoring difference a lot of harm, so are probably out of the hunt. I genuinely thought they had a proper chance in that game, and I actually backed them on the handicap when I saw that Odhrán Murdock was out of the Down team.

So I got that one wrong, but if I'm to be completely honest, I still think they're a decent team, and I still think Offaly could go to Markievicz Park, play well and fall short. But I was wrong last weekend, and hopefully I'll be wrong this weekend too! :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure what lads are looking at.. after Clare beat us I lined out the circumstances (including missing players, ground, manager coming in, form that left us 9 points clear of a Clare team in the second half who are pushing for promotion) that were holding us back and pointed out the form lines that actually showed us in a good light where lads thought we were terrible and heading for division 4.. on the basis of the above I predicted a better than expected showing against Down followed by 3 comfortable wins in the last 3 games, so far so good for my prediction.. I would suggest that the form to date and confidence/momentum from a big win albeit against wicklow would have made Offaly slight favourites against Sligo even factoring in home advantage.. however that's not the case and I think Offaly are excellent value at 6/4 and I expect them to go to Sligo and win by 3/4 points, followed by an easy win against Limerick. We can then look ahead to Leinster and the tailteann cup

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

joey1001 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:22 pm however that's not the case and I think Offaly are excellent value at 6/4 and I expect them to go to Sligo and win by 3/4 points, followed by an easy win against Limerick.
I think Offaly are likely to win against Limerick, but Offaly don't do easy wins. Especially if survival is at stake for both teams.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Sligo first this Saturday...how will we do i wonder...always a tough game home or away..

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Is it safe to assume Cian Farrell has left the panel?
Attachments
IMG_0469.jpeg
IMG_0469.jpeg (385.27 KiB) Viewed 807 times