Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
old yellar
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by old yellar »

frankthetank wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:03 pm Offaly will compete in Division 1B of the league next year. The group will consist of:

Offaly
Dublin
Antrim
Westmeath
Laois
Waterford
Plus one more which most probably will be the loser of Cork v Wexford.
Laois?? We (Carlow) got promoted today! So not sure where you getting that!!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Sorry revised list:
(I had a major brain fart earlier)

Carlow
Laois
Offaly
Westmeath
Antrim
Waterford
Dublin or Cork (more than likely Dublin)

Apologies.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

frankthetank wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:52 pm Sorry revised list:
(I had a major brain fart earlier)

Carlow
Laois
Offaly
Westmeath
Antrim
Waterford
Dublin or Cork (more than likely Dublin)

Apologies.
Ha!! Happens to the best of us! Have only been up to 1 Offaly game this year (Waterford one) and thought that ye were unlucky with the margin of defeat but that's what consistent div 1 teams do - punish. I think the Joe mc will be an interesting competition this year. Mindset will be key. We were in a similar position a few years ago (div 1 of some variety and Joe mc) and we weren't able to move forward after a few big defeats (despite the "learnings" got in the league) into the Joe mc in a good head space and never kicked on. With tighter panels, its the balance of league survival/game and rest time for players/injury etc. I m sure offlays management have targeted the Joe mc and have worked the "league experiments" and the heavy blocks of training around the Joe mc. It's just getting back into that winning habit again for ye. Laois looked way off it against us and we didn't hurl that good against them. Granted they missing a few but they were toothless and a Hodge podge of styles at times. Westmeath tipping away nicely too against div 1 teams like ye are. Down and Kerry won't be simple either - down had us u see pressure today in parts. It's a great competition and lots of battles to come but hopefully he will drive on and win it. Bar some poor shooting (and the sending off) ye should have beaten us in that final. Best wishes for the year ahead and hopefully I ll get up to a few games in the Joe mc.

FaithfulFuture
Junior B
Club: S

Post by FaithfulFuture »

Not a whole lot to say about today as nobody will have come off the field content with their performance.

A couple of observations

1. Do we have a puckout strategy?
2. We seemed completely lost when we won sidelines, this needs to be looked at.
3. Oisin Kelly should be left corner or full forward for his goal threat. We have created very few goal scoring opportunities throughout the league.
4. Killian Sampson should be playing wing back. I don't think the half forward line experiment has worked overall.
5. Kiely and Burke are big losses.
6. We need more out of our experienced players from open play... Eimhin Kelly , Eoghan Cahill need to be chipping in with a few from play each game.
7. Our first touch let us down a little bit today.
8. We really need to keep working on our aerial ability.

Finally do we know our best 15 for championship?
I'll make a stab at it

Mark Troy
Ben Conneely
Ciaran burke
Sam bourke
Jason Sampson
Cillian kiely
Killian Sampson
David king
Leon Fox
Charlie Mitchell
Brian Duignan
Dan ravenhill
David nally
Oisin kelly
Adam screeney

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Apparently panel members will get a run out vs clare and u20s won't be involved either. In for a fair walloping on the cards if that's the case.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Pity about today. Offaly didn't get the normal fast start, which underdogs need to sustain them later in the game.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

greenairfield wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:13 pm I could safely say some lads in here don't go to games enough or don't see what's going on in front of them.

I said here weeks back while there is signs of improbment we still have huge strides to go before been competitive with the top teams.

We can't expect so much from lads who at the end of the day are limited.

I am unsure how you can expect more from Eoghan Cahill he is super scorer but lacks pace and can't win his own ball so the answer is no we shouldn't expect more from him.

Still signs of improvement this year but long way to go yet and more heavy defeats before we are where we want to be.
I was pilloried a few weeks ago for saying I didn’t see much evidence of progress but I think my point was proven today.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

private joker wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:33 pm Apparently panel members will get a run out vs clare and u20s won't be involved either. In for a fair walloping on the cards if that's the case.
Clare will more than likely use players from down their depth chart aswell. While they haven’t mathematically qualified for the league finals, to miss out they would need all of the following:
To lose to Offaly
Kilkenny to beat Waterford
Wexford to beat Cork

And even if that was too happen I doubt they would be too perturbed. I doubt league semi-final qualification is high on a list of priorities for them.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

I was pilloried a few weeks ago for saying I didn’t see much evidence of progress but I think my point was proven today.
[/quote]

Incorrect. Offaly have shown progress, more than I thought they would. Before the league I was looking at 10 plus point defeats not including the hammering they would receive once or twice on top of that. Offaly secured a point which no one thought they would. Better teams than offaly have taken beatings in this years league.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Better teams in the league getting hammering than Offaly did
Is a bit like an insurance salesman selling
A life insurance policy to a kamikaze pilot and think he has made a profit .
Cork just walked through the team yesterday
They have better players and have better
Know how..
Players should be ot least on a player's tail
Not just gestering or looking at each other.
A team that takes a beating should learn
A team that takes another beating in a similar fashion. Is devoid of leadership
Stay dry

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

That was a real sucker punch. Cork probably have a higher sense of urgency than some of our other opponents up to now and didn't let up. I had thought they might use the match as opportunity to go deeper into their panel, but that didn't happen.

I tend to agree with other comments around Kiely. He was a big loss, and we really missed him yesterday. I had expected more than 1 result with a substantial trimming like this to be honest, so am still encouraged overall. We were a bit wasteful in our shooting (especially in the 1st half) according to some accounts, while Cork barely hit a wide at all it seemed.

Hopefully we can raise our game against Clare.

What is the latest on Kiely injury?
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

FaithfulFuture wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:57 pm
I'll make a stab at it

Mark Troy
Ben Conneely
Ciaran burke
Sam bourke
Jason Sampson
Cillian kiely
Killian Sampson
David king
Leon Fox
Charlie Mitchell
Brian Duignan
Dan ravenhill
David nally
Oisin kelly
Adam screeney
I'd like Mitchell inside myself personally, with Nally further out the field. Think it might suit them both to be honest. Agree with Sampson to wing back. I wouldn't lose hope on Cahill just yet.....And would prob have him in the team over 1 of our other forwards (unsure who to drop though, as haven't seen enough).
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Wing Back wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:24 pm
FaithfulFuture wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:57 pm
I'll make a stab at it

Mark Troy
Ben Conneely
Ciaran burke
Sam bourke
Jason Sampson
Cillian kiely
Killian Sampson
David king
Leon Fox
Charlie Mitchell
Brian Duignan
Dan ravenhill
David nally
Oisin kelly
Adam screeney
I'd like Mitchell inside myself personally, with Nally further out the field. Think it might suit them both to be honest. Agree with Sampson to wing back. I wouldn't lose hope on Cahill just yet.....And would prob have him in the team over 1 of our other forwards (unsure who to drop though, as haven't seen enough).
In my opinion, Dan Bourke has offered a lot more in the league to date than Adam Screeny. I would have Mitchell corner forward and bourke wing forward.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

what about bringing screeny to the wing for a while in games?

I agree with the observations so far.

Questionable puckout strategy and team play.
Lack of ability to win our own ball in the air.
Our fitness and strength is still not up to liam mccarthy standard.

We need space in the forward line for screeny to blossom.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:05 pm
greenairfield wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:13 pm I could safely say some lads in here don't go to games enough or don't see what's going on in front of them.

I said here weeks back while there is signs of improbment we still have huge strides to go before been competitive with the top teams.

We can't expect so much from lads who at the end of the day are limited.

I am unsure how you can expect more from Eoghan Cahill he is super scorer but lacks pace and can't win his own ball so the answer is no we shouldn't expect more from him.

Still signs of improvement this year but long way to go yet and more heavy defeats before we are where we want to be.

You were quite correctly pilloried or whatever you were, clowns like you who were only too delighted to see the result against cork, couldn't wait to get back on here to say "I told you so". Well I'll tell you so now, you're a clown and not a supporter if you classify yourself as that! And also you're wrong about progress, a draw against Wexford and competitive in games against Kilkenny and Waterford shows huge progress. To have to go out and face opposition week in week out that are of a higher standard is hugely demanding and has taken its toll . When we win the Joe mc come back and tell us what you think then because we just love to hear what you have to say. Smh