Dream up your Offaly team

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ballymanabroad
All Star

Dream up your Offaly team

Post by ballymanabroad »

Here is one for you to while away in the midst of all the football and hurling action going on in the county at the moment.

I was reading an article about Shane Warne (Australian spin bowler) who used to be on the development squad for St Kilda Aussie Rules Football club. He was a talented athlete who didn't quite have the stuff to do it in football but switched codes and became arguably the greatest test bowler of all time (most test wickets taken by one player) thus demonstrating that talent can be moulded.

So my question is...Who would you take from any sport (except gaelic football or former gaelic footballers/hurlers like Moran, Wood or Quinn) in any era to boost the fortunes of the Offaly footballers?

I would take Magic Johnson for his awareness and passing ability to replace Quinny and Stephen Redgrave at midfield because as fit as Mac is he wouldn't last a second with this Olympian.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

Tom
County player

Post by Tom »

Peter Crouch in midfield :D

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

You haven't exactly gone for Spring chickens there BMan.... :D

I'd be one for Chris Jack at midfield myself. Maybe alongside Ben Wallace of the Detroit Pistons. (You want rebounding skill there, and a tough streak!!)

Leaving out the obvious guys like Aussie Rules fellas, I'd say you could make a case for someone like Steve Smith of the Carolina Panthers as an isolated corner forward, with LaDainian Tomlinson as an attacking wing back. There's probably a place for a Tim Montgomerie like figure coming through from half forward as well, with Richie McCaw there to eat up breaks. Tom Brady calling plays from centre back could work.

Finally maybe a Roy Jones Junior in the full back line, just for presence ....

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

I'd like to see a really good Quarterback in the Colm Quinn/ Alan McNamee role putting in bullet-like passes - for me it'd have to be Dan Marino or Daunte Culpepper. O.k. they'd have to learn to kick it in rather than throwing but the principle is the same.

I'd have a few speedy wide receivers in the Niall McNamee/ Tomo Deehan positions - again I'm Miami Dolphins prejudiced but from the past it'd be the Marks Brothers (Mark Duper and Mark Clayton) - to receive the passes and bury them.

Oh!! and Johnny Giles of Leeds for a lethal mix of passing ability and unmatched sly dirt!!! There might be mass brawls in every Offaly game but we'd have huge numbers of opponents getting sent off for retaliation.

Hocker
All Star

Here's who I'd build a team around...

Post by Hocker »

Here's who I'd build a team around...

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I'd have snooker star Tony Drago to kick all the frees (except the pressure one at the end that he would normally score with his eyes closed).

shovels
Junior B

Post by shovels »

Now who could look past this....

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Born to be a keeper .....

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

turk wrote:I'd have snooker star Tony Drago to kick all the frees (except the pressure one at the end that he would normally score with his eyes closed).
Agreed and Phil " the power" Taylor could be brought on for the last 10 minutes to take all the high pressure ones into the hill :D

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

best half forward ever!!!

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I'd love to see the Great Khali (from WWE Smackdown) as the big target man full forward...this guy 7ft 4 & is quiet literally built like a tank!!!
The Untouchable