Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Hasselhoff
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by Hasselhoff »

what's the verdict for tomorrow

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Votes are already in lad

Its a no/no

Blame McDowall

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

:D :D

hope there is a high turnout tomorrow regardless of the result

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Hasselhoff wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:49 pm :D :D

hope there is a high turnout tomorrow regardless of the result
The Rebels will be favoured to win. Maybe an eight point margin.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Bookies have it a 10 point spread.

Anything less than that is a good day at the office.

Cork if they get a run on us, wouldn’t be a team to let up. Inherent self-esteem issues due to a lack of senior success for 20 years while trying to maintain the facade of a traditional hurling county.

But that’s an argument and a topic of conversation for the Sigmund Freud forum.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Weird first half. Hurled poorly, 10 down but should be a lot closer.
We must have 9 or 10 wides, from speculative shooting such as from Sam Bourke and Killian Sampson.
Cork very clinical from everywhere.

Dan Bourke has been the pick of our players, his direct running is causing lots of problems.
Eimhin Kelly and David Nally doing well around the middle.
Robert Downey at wing back is a giant of a man, need to keep it away from him.
Cork forwards are very fast and it’s very hard to stop Connolly, O’Connor, Barrett etc when they tuck it under the arm like a rugby ball and take 8-10 steps.
2 soft goals gone in.

Great to see Cantwell back.

All things considered, we are doing ok without Kiely, Ross Ravenhill, Ciaran Burke, Dan Ravenhill (gone off injured) and a couple more.
Hoping Eoghan Cahill and Oisin Kelly can get into the game in the second half.

JohnnyBoy24
Junior C

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Did we even get the ball into a hand inside the 21 ? Look miles away unfortunately

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Sort of blown the wheels off the whole fucking thing really hasn’t it

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Not to purposefully pick someone out but would it be unfair to expect more from Eoghan Cahill from play

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I could safely say some lads in here don't go to games enough or don't see what's going on in front of them.

I said here weeks back while there is signs of improbment we still have huge strides to go before been competitive with the top teams.

We can't expect so much from lads who at the end of the day are limited.

I am unsure how you can expect more from Eoghan Cahill he is super scorer but lacks pace and can't win his own ball so the answer is no we shouldn't expect more from him.

Still signs of improvement this year but long way to go yet and more heavy defeats before we are where we want to be.

pigeon house biffo
All Star

greenairfield wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:13 pm I could safely say some lads in here don't go to games enough or don't see what's going on in front of them.

I said here weeks back while there is signs of improbment we still have huge strides to go before been competitive with the top teams.

We can't expect so much from lads who at the end of the day are limited.

I am unsure how you can expect more from Eoghan Cahill he is super scorer but lacks pace and can't win his own ball so the answer is no we shouldn't expect more from him.

Still signs of improvement this year but long way to go yet and more heavy defeats before we are where we want to be.

Ah yeah fair

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Up to now offaly have been doing fairly alright. But today was a reality check. Counties are going to ramp it up now in the lead up to championship and the weaker counties will suffer results like today. Winning the joe mcdonagh is the aim. For offaly to compete with the likes of cork, multiple u20s teams are going to have to come through.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Look today was to be expected .
The better ground and greater urgency
And ability is obvious .
It's going to be harder campaign in the Joe
Mcdonagh than a lot of people think .
There is ability but which way it's channelled
Is up to the management..

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Offaly will compete in Division 1B of the league next year. The group will consist of:

Offaly
Dublin
Antrim
Westmeath
Laois
Waterford
Plus one more which most probably will be the loser of Cork v Wexford.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Posters often disagree with me saying we needed hm while he took a,season or two out, but Kiely gone from CB or general middle area has exposed a fairly timid half back line which in itself affects other close areas of play..today was to be expected???27 point defeat, and "there will be mire until we get where we want to be"...not being picky at all but never sure what that means to be honest..because players expire too..will our leaders in the current squad be around whenever we get to this place we want to be...Personally i don't think so...how long does it take...2/3/4/10 years...today was back to the stuff of division 2...terrible first touch, as poor as i seen...poor on play decisions but look that can happen in heat of battle..to see players we need in front of goal over taking line ball into where they should be and cork player grabs the ball, down the field for a Cork point..yes we need leaders in the field but basics are a given...regarding players contributing more from play (i hate naming players) but you need more than a deadly free takers and quiet enough other wise...if players don't have pace or speed, and are still making team, well then maybe we are not doing things properly..surely speed and pace is a given necessity for at least 5/6 forwards, generally you will get away with one in 14 position, but not a given...We were doing ok..lets hope it does not slip..27 point loss is certainly not good for anyone...Clare game hopefully we can get into it early and make a game of it..