Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Doon Exile
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by Doon Exile »

Also good to see a decent Offaly crowd at the game and they made plenty of noise too.
Doon exile....

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Curious to know how we would have went had Cillian Kiely not gone off injured, he was having a massive game..we did regroup after abit but he was ha in a serious game and was dictating play from his position..I don't think KK had any answers upto time he went off, breeze was a factor i know but ta never know..

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Don't think the result would have been much different. Kk came out and were of a different level to the 1sr half. Also factor in kk had 7 or 8 wides in the first half. It was a very good 45 minutes from offay

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

private joker wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:57 am Don't think the result would have been much different. Kk came out and were of a different level to the 1sr half. Also factor in kk had 7 or 8 wides in the first half. It was a very good 45 minutes from offay
Aye. Fully agree with that.
Doon exile....

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Offaly shot wides too remember during 1st half, Clancy blazed over when a goal might have been on, we shot a good few wides too when trailing in 2nd half when we were threatening to come back into the game somewhat 3/4 way in, so wides were crucial on both sides but more so on our side as we lost in the end...Kiely going off i have no doubt opened up our central defense there after, you could see it from the moment he went off..

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Is cillian martin knocking around somewhere? Seen he was with UL tonight in the fresher final. Looked a big physical unit at underage he’d be an asset at senior level if he’s still kicking about.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Cillian Martin could not make the UL fresher team yesterday evening so I am unsure how you would be talking him up for Offaly seniors.
Very strong but think he's a bit off that level for now.

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

Have only been taken a passing interest in the 3rd level college hurling scene.

While its only fresher hurling, it's nice to see Screeney, Spain, Shirley and Martin, either in the team or squad who are challenging for silverware at colleges level. Hopefully this translates into their involvement at Fitzgibbon ranks.

For a long time there was no sign of any representation at college/University level for Offaly. Charlie Mitchell hurling well and scoring a cracker for NUIG at Fitz level was highlighted to me a few weeks back too.

I'm sure there are others that are hurling for their colleges also that I'm not aware of. But its just another noticeable step in the right direction to see and hear of Offaly lads hurling at the top levels across the competitions.

Hopefully this will grow and continue.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:48 am
greenairfield wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:24 pm Clare match is fixed for Birr anyway
Is it?

It’s down as Tullamore on Offaly GAA website and the GAA’s own website
Saturday March 16th in Birr. According to Offaly’s own fixtures on their website.

faithfulfanatic
All Star

Post by faithfulfanatic »

frankthetank wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:26 pm
faithfulfanatic wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:48 am
greenairfield wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:24 pm Clare match is fixed for Birr anyway
Is it?

It’s down as Tullamore on Offaly GAA website and the GAA’s own website
Saturday March 16th in Birr. According to Offaly’s own fixtures on their website.
Great news

The big hill
Junior B
Club: Tullamore

Post by The big hill »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:40 pm Is cillian martin knocking around somewhere? Seen he was with UL tonight in the fresher final. Looked a big physical unit at underage he’d be an asset at senior level if he’s still kicking about.
He sustained a very bad finger injury just after championship. Which put him out for months.

Wing Back
County player

Post by Wing Back »

Cork this weekend....

Rebels are obviously favourites. Bookies have the handicap at 10 points. Offaly have hurled well for about 75% of each game so far, with the lull (whenever that happens) resulting in the opposition getting a run on us.

Does anyone know the latest on Kiely injury?

Cork have some very strong underage coming on the horizon. They may want to blood some of their panel in this game I feel, which may present an opportunity. If we can put in another good shift and stick with them for the majority of the game I would be happy.

I know its results that count, but I feel we really were unlucky not having Westmeath, Antrim or Dublin in our side of this league, and I was resigned to zero points from the start, so we are doing better than I had expected, hence my slightly heightened sense of optimism.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I think the fact that there's no relegation mitigates the absence of another "tier two" county from our side of the draw. Barring a huge set of shock results, Offaly were always going to land in the remade Division 1B next year, so this Spring was always going to be a series of challenge games, in effect.

Given that we play Westmeath at the end of next month in the Joe McDonagh Cup, a fixture that looks hugely important - and right now, on form, it looks like we could very well meet them again in either a semi-final or final - I don't know that there would be much value in playing them in a shadow boxing fixture in the league. Nice and all as it would be to get a win, I'd much prefer either of the next two games, which hopefully will continue bringing the lads' hurling up to a higher level.

It's all a far cry from two years ago anyway, that's for sure.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

There is/are no Joe McDonagh semi-final(s).

The top 2 teams go directly to the final.

Cut throat.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Best of luck to the boys Sunday against Cork, hopefully we have a big crowd in attendance, two decent away displays,