Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Anonymous1
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by Anonymous1 »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:06 pm
Anonymous1 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:38 pm Just looking at the table and noticed that if we lose on Sunday to Wicklow and they then beat Limerick in their next game, we would be relegated before the last round regardless of whether we win our last two games as both Wicklow and Antrim would be on 4 points and they meet in the final round so one would finish on at least 5 points and as they both hold the tiebreaker over us, we couldn’t jump above either.

So in other words, in case anybody didn’t know already this weekends game is essentially a relegation playoff for Offaly and be in no doubt there’s much more pressure on Offaly than Wicklow give they’ve just been promoted and we’re at home.

I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say this could be a defining week for the management.
I think whatever happens you have the knives out, but talk about the bleedin obvious!! As soon as the fixtures were announced it was a must win game along with Limerick!!
According to some posters they were must win in the context of a promotion push not a relegation scrap.

Was it obvious we could be relegated by round 6? Not sure because I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere before.

The knives aren’t out but they’ll certainly be sharpened should we lose Sunday.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

amazing now how our last 3 games were "always going to be important games"...if i remember right the Clare game was chalked down for a win, as was the Antrim game..afer 4 games, including Antrim and Clare, we have zero points, history and records wont record hard luck and poor game management..the score is all that will be recorded.. we should beat a Wicklow team in total freefall, but you never know, they need a result and the game will hardly end all square...2-14 was a propper return against Down or any team, conceding 4 goals however is a worry..looks like our traditional goal of retaining division 3 status is our attainment goal for yet another year..bar promotion to Division 2 last year that's our aim year on year for a good few year now..as i said above before, forget tailteann and getting toba Leinster final for now, we are well off of those targets..Winning Division 3 and promotion as a bonus should be our "championship"..that would feed into later in summer then...
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

No need to panic yet. No need for anyone to get desperate either.

There was always a reasonable prospect of Offaly reaching the end of February without any points on the board. That likelihood was considered by Lone Shark on page 3 of this thread late last year.

Wicklow and Limerick are in the same boat; arguably worse off.

Some tending to read a GAA league table the same way you read a soccer one containing 20 teams. There is a key difference – in a smaller group, alot depends on who you’ve played and who you’ve yet to play. What I mean is, a hell of a difference having nul points with Wicklow Sligo and Limerick remaining, as opposed to having no points and still to face Down, Westmeath and Clare.

Still all to play for.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

First off I was right about us and where we are in context of form lines and match against down showed that.. I also said we would win our last 3 games and that we will do so comfortably given our results so far which are not that bad in context of circumstances I have previously pointed out.. lads can we stop commenting on individuals and talking about what's going on with them, way way to personal and no need for it.. amateur game and none of the players or management are under any obligation whatsoever to us.. give it a rest!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

totally agree, worth posting up above under these comments were made, the last few posts are just about results in general and relegation etc..nothing in last few posts mentioned any one individual to be fair..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:14 am No need to panic yet. No need for anyone to get desperate either.

There was always a reasonable prospect of Offaly reaching the end of February without any points on the board. That likelihood was considered by Lone Shark on page 3 of this thread late last year.

Wicklow and Limerick are in the same boat; arguably worse off.

Some tending to read a GAA league table the same way you read a soccer one containing 20 teams. There is a key difference – in a smaller group, alot depends on who you’ve played and who you’ve yet to play. What I mean is, a hell of a difference having nul points with Wicklow Sligo and Limerick remaining, as opposed to having no points and still to face Down, Westmeath and Clare.

Still all to play for.
good point about the league table, Gaa only one fixture of course with no chance of reverse fixtures..i suppose we are lucky with the fixtures we have left, Sligo are the ones I think we will struggle against, Limerick poor this season but wont fear Offal, they always seem to make a game against us..it is in our own hands though..

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

The big question what happens if we lose on Sunday.
Hopefully it will be a question we won't have to answer but it's a possibility..
Defence wise I have little confidence.
Maybe drier ground might help later on
But with the way this year is going we could be planting rice in O'Connor Park .

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Offaly 3-14
Wicklow 1-13

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Any word on Farrell if he was at training this week or is he gone from the squad?

theoneandonly
Junior C

Post by theoneandonly »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:40 pm Any word on Farrell if he was at training this week or is he gone from the squad?
Hes back training from what I have heard after making up to Dec, but not sure if he will be on panel for Sunday yet.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Very strong team for tomorrow, about as good as it will ever be so they really should win but there’s no guarantee.

Good to see Hogan back but Farrell’s not even on the bench.
Attachments
3490ECAC-88EA-435C-8924-8113DA4D6F20.jpeg
3490ECAC-88EA-435C-8924-8113DA4D6F20.jpeg (183.04 KiB) Viewed 931 times

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Fairly strong team. Jack O Brien will be disappointed to lose out. Thought he was excellent v Westmeath on Ronan O Toole and he will get more chances to show his worth.

Interesting to see Hogan at 7. There might be bit of reshuffle with either Furlong or Dempsey as Hogan would be more used to playing in full back line, though regularly played at 6 for Tullamore also.

In forwards, this is our best half forward line arguably and with Anton likely roving, we should get plenty of scoring chances. Inside, Bryant and O Neill get another go and will need to be scoring from play this time around. Nigel Dunne will feel hard done by given he is probably our best scoring forward from play all year but will likely come in during second half when game is opened up.

It is good if Farrell is back on panel and hopefully that issue has been resolved. Good also to see Jack McEvoy back in contention and he could feature in half forward line or midfield at some stage too.

All round, this is a game we need to be winning and not doing so will likely see us relegated with 5 defeats from 5. Relegation will fall between Wicklow Limerick and ourselves so this is a must win. Hopefully supporters get out to support the team.
jimbob

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

What happened with Farrell??

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

theoneandonly wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:51 am
pigeon house biffo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:40 pm Any word on Farrell if he was at training this week or is he gone from the squad?
Hes back training from what I have heard after making up to Dec, but not sure if he will be on panel for Sunday yet.
That’s good news for Offaly football.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

jimbob17 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:24 pm
Interesting to see Hogan at 7. There might be bit of reshuffle with either Furlong or Dempsey as Hogan would be more used to playing in full back line, though regularly played at 6 for Tullamore also.
I'd be stunned if Declan Hogan doesn't just go straight to full/corner back to pick up Kevin Quinn, who's the biggest threat in the Wicklow attack. My uneducated guess would be that Dempsey pushes out to the half-back line, either into 6, or at 7, where he balances pushing forward himself with dropping across to cover for John Furlong, who ideally will try to put Dean Healy on the back foot by getting forward early and often.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.