Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Beattheblanket
Junior C
Club: Doon

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by Beattheblanket »

joey1001 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:53 pm
Superhans75 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:34 am After the dust has settled
The realism is that was the worst performance since against Roscommon
In the league when another false prophet
Failed to deliver EMMET MCCONNELL
Our chairman talking as if we were 5
Year olds is embarrassing
We were actually at the games .I
More than he is .
The lack of urgency has been the most disappointing aspect.
Relegation is a certainty unless Jesus puts on the shirt.
At least a nice trip to Newry is a consolation
Nice scenery and a club bar .
Stay dry folks
You're just a clown to be honest, like I said come back the me after the last game when we've won the last 3. Clare almost beat Westmeath who should have got out of their group last year with Galway Tyrone and Armagh, Clare have also spent years in division 2 and are a cut above us whether you like it or not. The worst performance? Was good enough to put us 9 points up and play them off the field for a large chunk of the game, mistakes and naivety cost us in last 15 minutes and some bad luck with the penalty.. don't brag about going to games, when you just come on here and criticise, you know feck all about it to be honest!
I wouldn’t give much pedigree to that clare team, anyone who was at the game can vouch it was one of the poorer teams to visit. They could only beat a 13 man sligo by a point after sligo got 2 reds in the 40th and 60th minute.
This isnt the div 2 clare team, theyve lost 11 starters and C. Collins. But look, time will tell..hope I’m wrong

Faithful follower
Junior B
Club: Dublin

Post by Faithful follower »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:34 am
jimbob17 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:18 am Just because a lad gives away ball few times does not mean he was sulking surely. Fair enough he wasn't his normal self but maybe there was more to it than we know. He is surely trying to not lose the game. He has been consistently one of our best players over last 3 or 4 years. Sulking is the wrong word, and I take that back and apologise, but you described him as marquee forward, at the very least when he came on he should have offered something to a relatively inexperienced team, not give away cheap posession, Keith O'Neill used the ball when he came on each time.

I agree too that management deserve a chance and they are certainly doing their best with what they know. It's very easy pick holes from the stand and its a really hard job to do right. What worries me most though is that personnel wise, we don't have some of the lads you'd expect to be in the panel for a variety of reasons, and not all player related. Bernard Allen and Eoin Rigney are two in particular and the 25-32 age group appears grossly under represented. Beyond that, youd have to ask how likes of Shane Tierney isnt part of the panel, along with likes of Conor McNamee and few more who were starting or finishing games last year when we were so close to promotion, ie Jamie Evans, Cian Donoghue, Bill Carroll and Mark Abbott for example who are all young and fit enough.
Eoin Rigney is gone how many years, and a doctor, Panda walked away unfortunately, Bill Carroll declined the offer (and has struggled at senior level anyway) and Tierney opted to go travelling, Cian Donaghue was dropped after Chriestmas. I agree Conor Mc and Jamie Evans may have been options

Some of the soundbites emanating from the team group over last number of weeks have not been overly encouraging either and this is what would concern me most. The lack of inter county senior management expertise around the group appears to be thin on the ground too and this would be really valuable in pressure scenarios and the grind like they now find themselves in. While management team are doing their best no doubt, the gap in levels from club level or inter county underage to inter county senior is vast. Soundbites are that , fucking soundbites, on the flip side there are a group of around 15 lads working away as part of a back up /development squad which was never done before. If things were that bad wouldthis be happening?

As BNM man has said some of the words are shameful that have been used, there were many good performances, but decision making on the field are critical, and senior lads with experience took serious wrong options at times that ultimately cost us dearly. Large number of players on the field are only in their first and second years of intercounty football.
Duignan has had a busy week, I agree with him in relation to yesterday but his comments during the week are not as clearcut as he akes out.
Final comment, panel and management will regroup this week, 3 from 4 in the last half of the league and we are where many reasonable people would think, and we could easily have been 3pts better off now.
Management and players will progress, i've no doubt.
Mr soundbite ,
Previous poster made the point that we need some of the older guys and I think he has a point. Blooding too many younger players is ok to a certain extent but some of our men are too small , we need more big guys to match our opponents. Lawlor Evens , Abbott , Donoghue have a proven record. Panda and Donoghue we told they were surplus to requirements both have a lot to offer and had offered to commit for the year . Young carroll I heard through the grapevine didn’t get a call earlier in the year when everyone and their uncle were being called in , I find this very surprising as he has made the starting lineup in college football for the last 3 years and was named at central field in last year’s college team of the year . Cormac Egan did very good last Sunday and looks to be finding form
Our backs have conceded two penalties in the last two games if I am not mistaken and have been turned over too many times , I am not sure our no6 should be going up the field as much because this has caused problems in our cover , in our last three outings we were very lucky not to have conceded much more and there seems to be a lot of grey areas regarding our kickouts .The Offaly team have been training for the best part of 4 months and yet Clare were much faster last Sunday are we being over trained, I know the pitch was very heavy last Sunday

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Why I'm I getting slagged just because
I say it as I see it simple.
Clare attacked down the middle we fell apart
We had no man up front when there goalkeeper was going forward.
Heaven forbid a good long punt and a quick
Forward thinking.
Every county is going to see our weaknesses
But not ourselves.
But the lack of urgency from players wanting the ball is alarming.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

the hurling trend f a few years ago is now slipping into football, our wonder prodigy forward being moved back to defence...we wonder then how the opposition goal keeper can play outfield (as good as)and have a blinder of a game...we need to score more than the opposition to win as we all know..where are these scores going to come from..the forwards to date while some are playing well enough we need all we have up near the opposition goal..

del
County player

Post by del »

No team announcement this week ??
Cian Farrell dropped from the 26
Nigel Dunne dropped even tho he was our best forward
No anton again this week
That’s the squad I heard
Is our so called messiah of a manager who gets a free ride from the cheerleading crew in the tribune pressing the panic button ??
Best of luck to the players who always give there all and have done the last few yrs . It’s not on the players . 🟢⚪️🟡

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

del wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:41 am No team announcement this week ??
Cian Farrell dropped from the 26
Nigel Dunne dropped even tho he was our best forward
No anton again this week
That’s the squad I heard
Is our so called messiah of a manager who gets a free ride from the cheerleading crew in the tribune pressing the panic button ??
Best of luck to the players who always give there all and have done the last few yrs . It’s not on the players . 🟢⚪️🟡
I think you need some new sources…

Seriously though I don’t know how he’s named the same 15 again unless A. This isn’t the actual team or B. He’s attempting some form of reverse psychology and expecting a rallying effect.

Time will tell but I anticipate a heavy defeat.
Attachments
3E705E89-A536-4E01-87B1-8265DD7A5A87.jpeg
3E705E89-A536-4E01-87B1-8265DD7A5A87.jpeg (182.9 KiB) Viewed 638 times

del
County player

Post by del »

Do you honestly believe that’s the team it’s just a copy and paste from last week . Sure the proof will be in who lines out later

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

del wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:31 pm Do you honestly believe that’s the team it’s just a copy and paste from last week . Sure the proof will be in who lines out later
1. It’s not a copy and paste as last weeks team had Rory Egan at 5, Cormac Egan at 10 and Kevin Mcdermott on the bench.

2. No I don’t honestly believe that’s the team which is why I said “unless this isn’t the actual team”

3. You claimed Farrell was dropped from the 26 which has just been proven to be complete and utter bunkum so own it.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Will O Callaghans post on twitter suggesting Farrell isnt with the 26 travelling.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Cian not on 26 - has wlked away from panel. anton and niall on bench. ff line keith, javk bryant and kevin mc

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Hyper wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:43 pm Cian not on 26 - has wlked away from panel. anton and niall on bench. ff line keith, javk bryant and kevin mc
Niall?

Mcname 😳😳

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:46 pm
Hyper wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:43 pm Cian not on 26 - has wlked away from panel. anton and niall on bench. ff line keith, javk bryant and kevin mc
Niall?

Mcname 😳😳
Nigel he meant.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Bizarre that Offaly have him named at 14 in the team announcement, has this only happened last night?

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Anonymous1 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:55 pm
Bizarre that Offaly have him named at 14 in the team announcement, has this only happened last night?

The team sheets have to be submitted Thursday night don’t they

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Very disappointing if true, that Cian Farrell has left the panel. Has the potential to be the best forward in the county and the centre point of our forward line.