Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by Superhans75 »

No it wasn't it was the 1982 shirt with the early 90s
Chevrons .
It's a beautiful shirt.
V neck

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

On my way to Wexford for the hurling
But to say the silence after the last two games was very unusual.
I think the common sense people have figured out we have been sold a pig in a poke..
Lowry's cash has polished a turd! of a system
I'm dreading tonight.
Have a good weekend everyone.👍.
hows the therapy going? "on my way to the Hurling", and "dreading tonight"....are you still sleeping with the light on you poor divil?

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Cormac Egan introduced as a second half sub for UCD as their comeback fell short in the Sigerson Cup Final against Ulster University.

Cormac was very impressive with his power running and tracking back.
Wing forward seems his ideal position.
Highlight had to be his tackle on one of the Canavan's to send him over the line.

Let's hope he can take the next step for Offaly in the league.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

was that his highlight contribution??...Lets hope if he plays against Clare he gets stuck in similarly and for a good spell...

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Huge game on Sunday for Offaly in game where they need to get a result - at least a draw and hopefully a win. A loss would see us likely to lose 4 in a row as we have Down up next, which will likely heap more pressure on manager.

The team announced shows the same 6 backs as the last day with Bracken Dempsey and Pearson and Rory Egan Furlong and Jack O Brien in half back line.

Midfield changes somewhat with Eoin Carroll and Peter Cunningham down to start. Half forward line is Cormac Egan Ruairi McNamee and Jordan Hayes. Inside forward line is Dylan Hyland, Cian Farrell and Nigel Dunne.

I believe this is our strongest forward line to start this year so far and it is interesting that management have moved away from so many of the U20 group here with only Cormac Egan getting a start from that team. Hylands return will add a bit more potency, as will Nigel Dunnes well earned return, and Hayes moving from mid field to probably his most natural position will strengthen the half forward line. Anton Sullivan doesnt start for the first time in a long time which I can only assume is injury related as he was one of our better players in O Byrne Cup and against Westmeath.

We should be winning this game with Clare down 10 or 11 starters from last years team - though seem well organised and went close to beating Westmeath in Mullingar. Hopefully a good crowd goes in to support the lads and we can get a good result in what will probably be a very tight game.
jimbob

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Anton's not injured - dropped

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Hyper wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:32 pm Anton's not injured - dropped
That's a bizarre call if true. I'd see him as one of our main forwards and certainly deserves to start ahead of some others.
jimbob

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

I can’t speak.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

How they lost from that position is beyond me. We were coasting and should have seen it out. Clare owned ball and waltzed through us in last 15 mins like a knife through butter.

There were good things for lots of game albeit Clare left chances behind too early in game - and again towards end with some poor wides. Looked like we ran out of petrol. What is going on with the S&C or is that an issue. Offaly looked like they had no power in the legs at the end. Are they overtrained? By all accounts they did a serious amount of pre season running. Should never have come to needing the penalty to win and kudos to Cunningham for taking responsibility and stepping up to take it. I wouldn't blame him in the slightest for us not winning.

It was as disappointing a defeat as I've seen in a long time especially with this being close to Clares second string with 11 or 12 first team players absent.

Down next week is now looking much much harder. Looks like it'll be two out of ourselves Limerick and Wicklow for the drop and it'll come down to those games whether we stay up or get relegated.
jimbob

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Worst result since losing in Leinster to wicklow in portlaoise?

Particularly sobering off the back of Duignans comments on Friday.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Lordy me, what a finish, threw it away in every sense, we even got a penalty to win it and missed that..really hard to know where we are at now to be honest, take all the good bits out of that all you want, we lost to a Clare team regrouping after losing Com Collins and a host of their top players..Declan Hogan is a massive loss at the back for Offal, but, many counties in all divisions are short one or two guaranteed starters, and that's sport...we are stuck down the bottom of a hill now with no way up it, Down eased over Antrim today..i can hear already posters coming on and saying criticism and giving out is no solution, its true, but at the same time no point talking up things, it is as it is..Kildare are taking no prisoners and as poor as they are they would beat us at the moment, and beat us well probably..the silence after Antrim game was worrying , today was further evidence of where exactly we are... How can it be fixed?...i wish i knew, i me no expert, but something is not right, we are a division 4 team playing in Division 3...year after year the starting point is "retain our division 3 status" etc..when exactly do we aim higher..aim to win the division like, not this park on the grass verge mentality and let everyone by us etc...if you don't have ambition, you ate at nothing..how can you...Ime hoping we can get something out of our last few games, hard to see, and if we do survive, i can hear already what the expectations will be for next year etc etc..

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

jimbob17 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:49 pm How they lost from that position is beyond me. We were coasting and should have seen it out. Clare owned ball and waltzed through us in last 15 mins like a knife through butter.

There were good things for lots of game albeit Clare left chances behind too early in game - and again towards end with some poor wides. Looked like we ran out of petrol. What is going on with the S&C or is that an issue. Offaly looked like they had no power in the legs at the end. Are they overtrained? By all accounts they did a serious amount of pre season running. Should never have come to needing the penalty to win and kudos to Cunningham for taking responsibility and stepping up to take it. I wouldn't blame him in the slightest for us not winning.

It was as disappointing a defeat as I've seen in a long time especially with this being close to Clares second string with 11 or 12 first team players absent.

Down next week is now looking much much harder. Looks like it'll be two out of ourselves Limerick and Wicklow for the drop and it'll come down to those games whether we stay up or get relegated.
It looks like that now sadly. Hard to accept Offaly we’re 9 points ahead today, but lost by a point in the end.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

We’ll be eaten alive next week against Down and Sligo will be favourites to beat us too.

We need two wins against Wicklow and Limerick or we’re heading down.

Would relegation, a first round Leinster exit and an early Tailteann exit require a change of management?

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Kelly should never been given the job
Both

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

i think our problems are beyond whos managing us, Kelly deserved a go at it to be fair, football in the county is now like slot of the other weaker counties, we can talk it up and say its very competitive, it is but at what standard...MT every week articles about schools football in Leinster finals and what have you and when you read on its C and D level...Ime talking generally before anyone attacks...Tullamore as county champions played an average team from Meath in Leinster, yes they had a few big names but Meath are no longer a major force...Tullamore done everything bar attack them when the game was there for the taking, kicking and handpassing the ball everyway bar towards the opposition goals..not running them down at all, thats how they were coached obviously...our county team in ways reminds me of that approach, just when an opportunity is presented, and they don't appear too often, we seem locked into this cautious mentality, which shuts down any forward thinking players we have, we just don't kick on...its going on a number of years now..too long...