Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Hasselhoff wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:42 pm
pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:37 pm Savage stuff. Kelly has them on the right path.
Jury is out on Kelly.
We might win the joe McDonagh Cup but I don't see what he has done so far.

Relative to where we were when he took us over, would you not think its fair to say he’s done a good job?

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

were after giving waterford a game for 3/4 of the game and unlucky not ot beat wexford? and the jury is out?!? massive progress from going down to sligo for league games id have thought?

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:37 pm Savage stuff. Kelly has them on the right path.
Jury is out on Kelly.
Jury is out? That might be the greatest sh1t I’ve ever seen on here and that would take some doing.

Great display, not our fault Wexford got 2 sent off.
O’Connor red was harsh but Stack more than made it up to the yellowbellies after that.

Now time to try heat up and dry off!

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:44 pm
Jury is out on Kelly.

Relative to where we were when he took us over, would you not think its fair to say he’s done a good job?
We struggled through last year's league and should have won the joe McDonagh last year

We persisted with fennelly for ages as well who in hindsight was another bluffer..

Tactically we were all over the shop last week against waterford.

The test is kilkenny and clare.

Our fitness and conditioning is still way off Intercounty standard. Look at how other teams are sprinting away from our players and how our fitness declines after 60 minutes. Our physical strength and size needs improvement.

If we had played 15 on 15 what would the result be? we had a extra player for 20 mins and two extra players for 10.

It's great to see us playing against decent teams in the league.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

This is a point gained and not a point lost. Remember that Offaly were beaten until the Duignan goal. Wexford missed a gimme with their last shot.

No use weeping over the wides. They didn't go over. They're a stat everyone understands, but many other things go wrong that don't get quantified in the same way.

Also, after Wexford were reduced to 13, the ref gave Wexford a couple of soft ones. Including the free for their 2nd last point.
Up to that, Offaly got the edge on the refereeing calls. Especially the first red.

Have no doubt, Offaly hurling is moving in the right direction. And it's not just down to young players coming in. The older soldiers have dialled it up a notch. Offaly are competing better physically, the ball skills are sharpening, the interplay is getting better.

Unfortunately, Offaly fell back into bad habits for a patch in the 2nd half, with a few aimless balls hit into double-marked forwards. When you get a man advantage, you have to stretch the opposition. Also, Offaly's tackling was brilliantly intense, but the occasional stray timber or dragback cost us frees.

This is all valuable learning. Playing against top tier teams is the best prep for the Joe McDonagh!

Hurling123
Junior C
Club: Birr

Post by Hurling123 »

I’ve never heard such negativity in my life. Fitness levels of the players were brilliant today. Some people on here have absolutely horrible knowledge of the game

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

The lack of knowledge on here is shocking. Offaly were expected to lose every game by 15 plus points. Comments about S&C is so far off the mark it doesn't warrant response. Waterford and wexford both operate at a higher level to that of offaly. Tonight was a very good result, it was a joe mcdonagh team vs a liam mcarthy. Dont under estimate the gulf that has to be Bridged by offaly.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Hasselhoff wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:54 pm
pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:44 pm

Jury is out on Kelly.

We struggled through last year's league and should have won the joe McDonagh last year

We persisted with fennelly for ages as well who in hindsight was another bluffer..

Tactically we were all over the shop last week against waterford.

The test is kilkenny and clare.

Our fitness and conditioning is still way off Intercounty standard. Look at how other teams are sprinting away from our players and how our fitness declines after 60 minutes. Our physical strength and size needs improvement.

If we had played 15 on 15 what would the result be? we had a extra player for 20 mins and two extra players for 10.

It's great to see us playing against decent teams in the league.
The test is Kilkenny and Clare?
Why?
Why isn’t the test Waterford and Wexford?

Kilkenny and Clare are the second and third best teams in the country, without a doubt.

How and why should our test of standard be judged against teams ranked far above us? We first need to break into the 7-10 club, before we even dream of Kilkenny and Clare.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Obviously gutted we didn’t get the win but I’m delighted with our first two performances. I didn’t travel to Wexford this evening but I’m sitting here thinking I’m going to go to Nowlan Park in two weeks time. And I’m sure I won’t be alone either thinking that tonight.

It’s huge progress and we were without Fox and Cahill. Cahill might have been worth another 4-5 points this evening.

Great to see so many of the underage players coming through. They won’t have any inferior complex from their underage days and competitive results against the top teams will only add to this.

Delighted with the progress.
Doon exile....

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Doon Exile wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:50 pm Obviously gutted we didn’t get the win but I’m delighted with our first two performances. I didn’t travel to Wexford this evening but I’m sitting here thinking I’m going to go to Nowlan Park in two weeks time. And I’m sure I won’t be alone either thinking that tonight.

It’s huge progress and we were without Fox and Cahill. Cahill might have been worth another 4-5 points this evening.

Great to see so many of the underage players coming through. They won’t have any inferior complex from their underage days and competitive results against the top teams will only add to this.

Delighted with the progress.
I had this down as a Wexford win before the game. Offaly really impressed me, had we a consistent free taker, and taken our chances, it was a valuable 2 points. Johnny Kelly has improved Offaly. Kilkenny next at Nowlan Park, hard to see Offaly get anything there, but I could be proved wrong.
Wexford posters very annoyed with ref,for the two reds. They thought he favoured Offaly. I’d say Wexford underestimated Offaly tonight.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

ide be a critic here but i have to say I am impressed with what I have seen over all last two games...tests against Kilkenny and Clare??...of course they will be tests and serious tests too, but pre league the last two games looked very ominous before we ever got to Kilkenny, Clare or Cork, and now we have two good, performances and a point on the board...thank you very much ill take that and then regroup and go at Kilkenny next day...the team..Ben Coneely not a corner back, but where does he go then with the current defence..Ciaran Burke is solid at FB..Kiely starring at CB, is he needed abit further up to light up what is while trying hard a struggling half forward line...Duignan looks impressive at 14...Screeney blessed with skill but very light for todays senior hurling...Morgan Watkins like wise, but look they deserve their chance for sure..Troy done well in goal, interesting to see what team is announced for Kilkenny game..well done all on things so far in the league..a few areas still to work on but who can complain given where we were in very recent times..

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Firstly well done to the lads, not easy when most of the time they’re getting criticised.
Conditions were poor, we got stuck in and kept going fighting for dirty ball and but for a few mistakes at the end we should have come away with the win. When was the last time point we actually got a point in top flight hurling?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Dublin in Croke Park in 2018. Working back, beat Wexford down there in 2016. And a win over Limerick in 2015.
kingscounty wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:47 am When was the last time point we actually got a point in top flight hurling?
I didn't see last evening's match. But I'm not surprised. Offaly were massively competitive against Waterford. Rough edges; but enough to be going on with.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

A good performance conditions were atrocious should have got the win
But would have settled for a draw from the start .
Wexford looked average but I think they are
A hard ground team..
Onwards and upwards 👍

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Great performance Great effort.
I am not getting carried away as I can still see some heavy defeats for us before we are consistently competing with the likes of Dublin and wexford but we'll done to management and players.