Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Re: Offaly Senior Footballers 2024

Post by pigeon house biffo »

All valid points above but the prevailing wind seems to be that we shouldn’t be losing to that level of opposition regardless of context

Physically undercooked which there is no short term fix for. Indeed it could be the next manager after kelly that reaps that harvest, if we believe that that work is being done now. There was one stage during the game where Offaly were breaking on the counter, and our lad with the ball ended up being caught by a dublin player who absolutely ate up ground to track back. Seemed to sum up our plight. A lot of these offaly lads are in at least their 3rd year of senior inter county and you’d have to question the work thats been done on an S&C basis, in both codes, if this is the peak of athletic development we can muster.

Not meant to come across harsh. The league will be played off in not dissimilar weather than today. The league is the most important competition we play in. We look destined to be in for a tough year. Couple of bodies like Hayes and Cunningham would help bolster us. Hayes is probably the only player you would look at and say ‘he definitely plays intercounty’. He should be the rule, not the exception.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Awful!

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Agree with all the contributors here that this was an awful display and a awful result. that Dublin had nothing worth talking about and as bad as Offaly currently are they should have been able to beat what was up against them by 4 or 5 points. The big thing to note is, this was a development Dublin and a loaded senior Offaly team with loads of established experienced players. We have to be fair to anybody young and very new to intercounty but the experienced players really need to take a good hard look at themselves.

I do think fixing two games in 4 days is terrible. GAA do not have a clue if thats the way they treat players.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Is Keith O’Neill involved with the seniors this year?
Really fast and exciting player.

Scored 1-1 for Maynooth last night.
Aaron Brazil and one of the Plunkett brothers also playing in a win over MTU Cork.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:14 pm Is Keith O’Neill involved with the seniors this year?

Aaron Brazil and one of the Plunkett brothers also playing in a win over MTU Cork.
I think he may have been injured again recently but he should be involved if not already.

Anybody know if Bill Carroll is in or Jamie Evans?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:23 pm
faithfulfanatic wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:14 pm Is Keith O’Neill involved with the seniors this year?

I think he may have been injured again recently but he should be involved if not already.

Anybody know if Bill Carroll is in or Jamie Evans?
I am not certain and cannot say definitively, but I have been told by fairly reliable source that neither Carroll, nor Evans are involved. I found that surprising as I'd have expected both would have something to offer given they are good athletes, good footballers and in the 24-27 approx age group
jimbob

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

Anyone going for a prediction of who the winners and losers will be in division 3 this year.
Always great to see myself and others wrong
Lol 🤗

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Promoted: Down & Offaly

Relegated: WIcklow and Sligo

Limerick and Clare are both down a good few lads but I can't see them being as bad as many are predicting.

TownieInOz
Junior A
Club: Tullamore

Post by TownieInOz »

Superhans75 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:32 am Anyone going for a prediction of who the winners and losers will be in division 3 this year.
Lol 🤗
Promoted: Down and Westmeath

Relegated: Wicklow and Sligo.

Unfortunately id be massively shocked if Offaly were to be promoted, not usually this pessimistic.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

TownieInOz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:25 pm
Superhans75 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:32 am Anyone going for a prediction of who the winners and losers will be in division 3 this year.
Lol 🤗
Promoted: Down and Westmeath

Relegated: Wicklow and Sligo.

Unfortunately id be massively shocked if Offaly were to be promoted, not usually this pessimistic.
Agree with Down and Westmeath for Dublin v2. Not Offaly, relegation Limerick, Wicklow.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Promoted: Offaly and Down

Relegated: Westmeath and Wicklow

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:34 pm Promoted: Offaly and Down
Someone's on the weed again.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

bracknaghboy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:38 pm
Bord na Mona man wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:34 pm Promoted: Offaly and Down
Someone's on the weed again.
While Down were a disappointment in the the Tailteann final, I think they are on an upward trajectory.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Down and Sligo to go up, Wicklow and Clare to go down for me. Clare have lost far too many good players to be able to keep things on an even keel.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Lone Shark wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:25 pm Down and Sligo to go up, Wicklow and Clare to go down for me. Clare have lost far too many good players to be able to keep things on an even keel.
Interested to hear the rationale behind Sligo??