Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Galway’s superior short stick work between the half back and half forward line was evident to see today, coupled with physicality and pace.

Offaly’s best passages of play came when releasing the ball into the 3 red helmets (almost impossible to tell apart today) of Kelly, Mitchell and Cahill.

Donal Shirley and Cathal King did well in the backs all considered.

Screeney looked bright on introduction, the few balls that went into him were too high for what he would need but he showed out in front as always.

I was wondering why more subs weren’t introduced at half time or early in the second half but people with more knowledge than me must have decided that lads would be at more risk of injury having to try warm up and get up to the pace of the game?

Johnny Kelly and the Offaly management looked to be looking for the game to be postponed from very early on for players safety.
I’m not sure if it was Shefflin or the ref who wanted to play on at that stage.
After a meeting on the field at half time, it looked all set to be called off until the ref disappeared down the tunnel away from any more talk from the managers, making it clear it was him who wanted to play on.
I would have liked to see managements withdraw their players from the field and make it clear it was done for their safety against the ref’s crazy wishes to play on.

The game was eventually called about 17 minutes into the second half after Donal Shirley at wing back and his marker went running for a high ball, only to finish up about 20 yards from where the ball had actually dropped.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Under the circumstances a refixture is the only fair outcome.

Galway may claim they had their noses in front, but the recent passing of Johnny Flaherty should remind us that Offaly closed out the 1981 All Ireland final with 1-6 unanswered.
In 1981 Galway were the defending All Ireland champions and number one team in the country. They aren't that strong these days.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

It's the Walsh Cup who gives a bollox

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

greenairfield wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:18 pm It's the Walsh Cup who gives a bollox
It’s still a trophy…

Seriously though I think Kelly just wants another game to get more minutes into lads’ legs but he should just let this one go. Looks in bad taste.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Absolutely nothing to be gained playing Galway again. And it would come across as bad form.

I dunno what the feeling is on throwing in lads who are u20. Dont want to knock their confidence either. Its a different game altogether at senior level and alot of our good u20s were finding senior club a step up.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

timber wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:12 pm Absolutely nothing to be gained playing Galway again. And it would come across as bad form.

I dunno what the feeling is on throwing in lads who are u20. Dont want to knock their confidence either. Its a different game altogether at senior level and alot of our good u20s were finding senior club a step up.
No point playing Galway again, the GAA have not much room in a tight schedule to replay the match, Galway were well ahead when the ref called time. Apparently Offaly did not want to play on Sunday because of the fog and freezing weather, why did the game start, when other Walsh Cup games were cancelled.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Galway vs laois this Sunday

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

where did u hear that.

How do you know.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

where is it on?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:56 pm Under the circumstances a refixture is the only fair outcome.

Galway may claim they had their noses in front, but the recent passing of Johnny Flaherty should remind us that Offaly closed out the 1981 All Ireland final with 1-6 unanswered.
In 1981 Galway were the defending All Ireland champions and number one team in the country. They aren't that strong these days.
Now there is someone who knows something about current Offaly hurling the rest of us missed..we were staring at at least a 20 point defeat if that game went on..no mistake about it..fog or no fog..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:31 pm From what I could make out, we seemed to be miles off it again. Fog probably played a part. Looked a bit more like what we might expect as the starting 15 this year but I noted the abscence of the ravenhills and brian duignan still
It seems such an ardorous task to get tbe ball upto scoring territory, when we do, its fumbled or over turned and back down on our defence again..i hear alot of talk about "working the ball through the lines"..all very well if a decent score or at least a scoring chance is created, but from what I see we havent the calibre of players now required (outside of one or 2)up front to retain the ball even long enough to make a decent chance..and yes its only tbe Walsh Cup but give it a go, there are enough serious battles to be fought in a few weeks time..Derek Lyng will know whos who when Kilkenny kick off the league..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Galway v Leix was always fixed for next Sunday. That wouldn't be affectef by a potential Offaly v Galway refixture.
Hasselhoff wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:54 pm where did u hear that.

How do you know.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

"There is nothing to be learned from playing Galway again" - There is plenty to be learned. This is a Mulligan for Offaly. Analyse the 55 minutes from Sunday, try to correct the mistakes and then get a better scoreline next time.

"The result was a foregone conclusion" - It was a foregone conclusion before the match started, yet both teams went out to play.

The league game vs Wexford on Feb 10th is the best chance of being competitive. There's not many weeks left for Offaly to narrow the gulf in standards.
We were playing pitch and putt in 2023, in 2024 we've been put on a golf course. I'd suggest cramming in practice at the standard level we're going to face.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Kilkenny whacked Carlow tonight, Offaly would probably have gone toe to toe with Carlow and maybe sneak a win..the gulf is massive and i fear its too big to close now..just my obs..

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:23 am Kilkenny whacked Carlow tonight, Offaly would probably have gone toe to toe with Carlow and maybe sneak a win..the gulf is massive and i fear its too big to close now..just my obs..
Offaly have been well ahead of the likes of Carlow, Westmeath, Antrim etc since 2018-2019 at u20 and minor.
We have also had the upper hand on Laois.
Victories have come against Dublin, Galway and Wexford.
The only one in Leinster to elude us is Kilkenny.

The next step is to translate this form to senior level and return to the Leinster Championship.
The young lads coming through are used to winning all around them and hopefully this continues to senior.

I firmly believe within 3 to 4 years we will be on a par, if not higher than Dublin and Wexford.

Keep the Faith