Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by pigeon house biffo »

This is gas

Have read two articles in national newspapers this morning about the makeup of next years limerick hurling and dublin football squads

Yet no one here has heard anything about who may or may not be in either offaly panel

Lol

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Dan Ravenhill, Adam Screeney, Declan Cleary & Dan Bourke are in with seniors so far not sure who else.

Adrian Cleary and Paddy Clancy have opted out for the year.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:58 pm This is gas

Have read two articles in national newspapers this morning about the makeup of next years limerick hurling and dublin football squads

Yet no one here has heard anything about who may or may not be in either offaly panel

Lol
What’s so funny about that?

Can’t be that surprising that the squads of the 2 all ireland champions are widely known and published, more than any other teams.

faithfulfanatic
All Star

JimBwobb wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:44 pm Dan Ravenhill, Adam Screeney, Declan Cleary & Dan Bourke are in with seniors so far not sure who else.

Also heard that Paul Cleary from Shinrone and Kieran Connors from Clareen are in.

Langton brothers no longer part of the panel.

Dan Ravenhill sustained a knee injury in non-contact training, explaining his absence from the combined schools team.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:22 pm
JimBwobb wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:44 pm Dan Ravenhill, Adam Screeney, Declan Cleary & Dan Bourke are in with seniors so far not sure who else.

Also heard that Paul Cleary from Shinrone and Kieran Connors from Clareen are in.

Langton brothers no longer part of the panel.

Dan Ravenhill sustained a knee injury in non-contact training, explaining his absence from the combined schools team.
I thought Paul Cleary looked threatening for Shinrone this year in the championship. Definitely worth a call up. I am not too familiar with Kieran Connors.

The Langtons have been around the panel for a long time without ever setting the world alight so not really surprising they are gone. Whether it be their own decision or a management one.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:51 pm
The Langtons have been around the panel for a long time without ever setting the world alight so not really surprising they are gone. Whether it be their own decision or a management one.
Liam Langton was central to Offaly winning division 2A in 2021 but his game fell off completely after that.
He has been on/off the panel for about 8 years now and has had his chance to nail down a spot but it hasn't happened. Time for someone else to have a shot. Both Langtons are still very talented hurlers but just not at intercounty level.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

I see the senior hurlers have declined a ‘holiday’ and will put the funds (60,000 euro reported) into training.

Whether it’s a statement of commitment, intent or just a PR stunt, I applaud the team and all involved.

It’s a very positive message.

UP OFFALY!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Don't know if it a good thing or not. It's a holiday fund, it should be spent as such?. What about all the players no longer part of the squad? Who actually decides how such a fund should be spent?

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Kevin wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:03 pm I see the senior hurlers have declined a ‘holiday’ and will put the funds (60,000 euro reported) into training.

Whether it’s a statement of commitment, intent or just a PR stunt, I applaud the team and all involved.

It’s a very positive message.

UP OFFALY!!!
To be honest, I’m not so sure it’s a good idea. Players need rewards and a good team holiday is brilliant for team bonding. Memories and stories will help drive on morale in the camp.

Just my tuppence (essentially from experience of own club holidays).
Doon exile....

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Fair points. Let’s hope it has a positive effect.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

County board will be delighted with the holiday money going towards the training etc...only problem is how does one judge if it contributes to the over all progress/success of the season, unless we progress some way (retain div 1 and win whatever cup we are in)the squads gesture will not be remembered outside of their own circle, the county board will have saved €60K and they will be the real winners...someone mentioned elsewhere about Limerick and Dublin pre lim squads etc being announced in National media...we are well off radar now for our squads to be making mainstream headline discussions..we are not discussed or shown an interest that we once enjoyed..such is sport...

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

I would imagine the expectancy would be that it would be a similiar budget as last years plus the €60k, as opposed to the county board making some sort of saving.

Only way the hurlers can improve on last year is to get promoted up, couldn’t have got much closer last year.

Think the comment about the panels being named was misconstrued somewhat. Its more a comment that high profile counties are happy to have their panels named whereas there is comparatively crickets about the makeup of both of Offalys panels. O Byrne cup just around the corner I thought there might be more chat out of it.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Bet your bottom dollar the county board will benefit if comes from players holiday fund going towards training..you can be sure rather than an additional spend on something to enhance training/performance development it will be treated as €60k the county board won't have to find..to be fair most other counties would do the same if in that position..Division 1 will be tough tough going..defeats by over 20 points wont be preparation for the cup later in the summer we are playing for on 'our championship'..interesting to see if those big gap defeats can be narrowed at least..

faithfulfanatic
All Star

No word on the team for tomorrow night against our neighbours.

I can't imagine the likes of Brecon Kavanagh or Adam Screeney will be thrown in here on a heavy January night in Portlaoise.
Let them focus on getting bigger and stronger and hurling with their respective colleges.
It's the sort of night too where a corner back would love to lay down a marker for the year on these young lads.

Great to see the likes of Leon Fox back with the panel to add some much needed size.
Oisin Kelly also can't be too far away from a comeback can he? What an addition he will be once fit.

Match was originally fixed for O'Moore Park, then moved to Clough/Ballacolla and now it's scheduled for the pitch behind the stand in Portlaoise.
Losers face a quick turnaround to face Galway on Sunday.

faithfulfanatic
All Star

Team now named for tomorrow,

8 of the team featured in last year's JMcD final.

No David King, Cillian Kiely, Charlie Mitchell, Ross Ravenhill, Oisin Kelly or Brian Duignan, all of whom you'd expect to be there or thereabouts come championship time (if available).

Langton brothers gone from panel.
Adrian Cleary and Paddy Clancy in Australia.
Shane Dooley retired.
Is Joey Keenaghan gone from the panel or carrying an injury?
Same question for Padraig Cantwell, who has always had terrible injury luck.

Mitchell, Bourke brothers, Mark Troy, Luke Watkins, Donal Shirley and 2 Carrig boys make the step up from u20.
Dan Ravenhill, Screeney, Brecon Kavanagh are all involved with the panel and you'd imagine a few more are aswell.
Shirley who missed all of last years u20 with a hamstring issue is still underage, unsure on the others.
Paul Cleary also in, think he's early 20s unsure what age he is exactly? Looked very good in last year's club championship.
Cleary and Watkins struggled in the county final, as did most of the Shinrone team.

I make it just Morgan Watkins(23), Leon Fox (late 20s) and Kieran Connors (23) the only older lads coming in.
Watkins and Fox were both involved under Fennelly.

Good luck men!
Win tomorrow night and get the ball rolling.
I hope we can stay competitive in the league games and avoid relegation.
May it all end in Croker in 6 months (perhaps against Laois) with a better result than last year.