Club football and hurling managers 2033

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
del
County player

Re: Club football and hurling managers 2033

Post by del »

biffinbanner wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:33 pm id says hes fishing del for whatever reason..?
Yep you’re prob right makes no odds anyway Both managers re appointed during the week in Tullamore.

Alot of clubs are struggling to find managers from what I’m hearing

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

So who are the senior football managers for 2024?

From what is doing the rounds recently,
Tullamore - Stack likely to stay on but unconfirmed
Rhode - unknown
Ferbane - Rafferty likely to stay but unconfirmed
Edenderry - Declan Cummins to stay on
Durrow - Change in management from last year
Bracknagh - Unknown - David Connolly going in with Offaly seniors may leave it open for change.
Shamrocks - Same as last year
Ballycommon - can only assume it is same as last year.

Clara - new management
Clonbullogue - new management
Tubber - unknown
Ballycumber - unknown
Gracefield - same as last year
Daingean - assume same as last year
Cappincur - new management
Walsh Island - unknown
jimbob

del
County player

Post by del »

jimbob17 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:22 am So who are the senior football managers for 2024?

CONFIRMED
Rhode - unknown
Durrow - Change in management from last year SHANE KELLY stepped up from selector last year
Bracknagh - Unknown - David Connolly going in with Offaly seniors may leave it open for change.
Shamrocks - Same as last year VINNY HENRY but with new back room team

Clara - new management JOHN ROUSE MATTY MCCORMACK
Tubber - unknown
Ballycumber - unknown SAME AS LAST YEAR
Walsh Island - unknown

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Any word on hurling managers?
Brian caroll over coolderry.
Tullamore staying the same?
Birr the same mgt.
Ballinamere same
Kinnitty looking
Clareen looking
Kk the same mgt.
Shinrone?

TownieInOz
Junior A
Club: Tullamore

Post by TownieInOz »

jimbob17 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:22 am So who are the senior football managers for 2024?

Rhode - unknown
Durrow - Change in management from last year
Shamrocks - Same as last year

Clara - new management
Tubber - unknown
Ballycumber - unknown
Walsh Island - unknown
Yeah Stack seems to be staying on again. Shane Kelly taking over from Noel O'Brien as manager for Durrow I believe. Great servant to Tullamore Gaa and was selector for Durrow last year.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

private joker wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:04 am Any word on hurling managers?
Brian caroll over coolderry.
Tullamore staying the same?
Birr the same mgt.
Ballinamere same
Kinnitty looking
Clareen looking
Kk the same mgt.
Shinrone?

Kilcormac/Killoughey - Judging by some of his interviews and the general vibe I would say Shane Hand will step aside. An appealing job.

Shinrone - Trevor Fletcher has left his role (to a gig in Dublin?) so an opening here.

St Rynaghs - Liam Dunphy and James McGrath have seemingly departed.

Ballinamere - One would assume Niall Rigney will stay on

Birr - Gary Cahill to stay in situ.

Coolderry - Brian Carroll to replace Denis Byrne according to posters here.

Belmont - The working assumption is Arien Delaney is gone from his role after 2 years.

Tullamore - Edwin Finnerty to stay on it seems

Kinnitty - Damien Fox has left after 1 year.

Seir Kieran - Barry Whelahan has left after 2 years.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Shane Curley from Roscommon to take over in Belmont. Unsure if that is coaching and/or management. Had previously been with Four Roads and Cappataggle.

Paul Keane from Adare to take over in Shinrone. Was fairly swiftly appointed after Fletcher left.

Trevor Fletcher is heading north and east, taking on a role with Ballyboden in Dublin and also taking on a coaching position with the Down senior hurlers. Fair going considering he couldn’t commit to the ‘travel commitments’ of Shinrone 😆 Although that relationship seemed to have reached a natural conclusion anyway.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

That has the bang of Eamon Kelly off it!! Left Offaly due to work commitments and was managing Laois the following season!!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:20 am
Paul Keane from Adare to take over in Shinrone. Was fairly swiftly appointed after Fletcher left.
Following a quick Google search I see that Paul Keane has led Adare to a league title in Limerick, a Senior B title with Burgess in Tipperary and a Clare Cup (Division 1 League) with O'Callaghan Mills over the last 7 seasons.

Pros: He gets teams winning games albeit in lesser competitions.
Cons: He's clearly on the managerial carousel. As many are I suppose.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:20 am Shane Curley from Roscommon to take over in Belmont. Unsure if that is coaching and/or management. Had previously been with Four Roads and Cappataggle.
I say it must be the coaching side of things going by the last paragraph of this article.

https://roscommonpeople.ie/no-complacen ... ds-curley/

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Coaching I believe.

It's an interesting appointment, in that he's a good coach, but wouldn't be well known in my part of the world for his love and appreciation of a dual culture. And he's gone to as "dual" a parish as you will find anywhere in Ireland, where both clubs are utterly dependent on co-existing perfectly.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

id be thinking if he goes against the dual culture and cooperation that currently exists he might not see the start of the championship.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Lone Shark wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:49 am Coaching I believe.

It's an interesting appointment, in that he's a good coach, but wouldn't be well known in my part of the world for his love and appreciation of a dual culture. And he's gone to as "dual" a parish as you will find anywhere in Ireland, where both clubs are utterly dependent on co-existing perfectly.
Not having appreciation for the dual culture is interesting, especially coming from a mainly football county in Roscommon.
How does that work in Four Roads? As I presume lads are coming from multiple football clubs to hurl with them?
Is it that those lads hurling with them anyway are mainly hurling-oriented, where at least 10-12 of them would be with the county side and they are basically warned off any serious form of football?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:43 pm Not having appreciation for the dual culture is interesting, especially coming from a mainly football county in Roscommon.
How does that work in Four Roads? As I presume lads are coming from multiple football clubs to hurl with them?
Is it that those lads hurling with them anyway are mainly hurling-oriented, where at least 10-12 of them would be with the county side and they are basically warned off any serious form of football?
I'm conscious of the fact here that since I'm part of the executive in St. Aidan's (the football club at the other end of Four Roads' parish) I've to be a little bit circumspect, but I can certainly stand over my saying that in this parish generally, there absolutely is NOT the ethos that I see in Ferbane and Belmont, where it is widely understood that more players playing both sports is better for everyone.

A lot of it is reflective of the fact that in Roscommon as a whole, the majority of clubs are not just football-only clubs, but they are clubs in areas where football is the only sport played, so hurling gets a raw deal generally. The two sports are also run very independently, unlike in Offaly, so playing both sports is not facilitated to anything like the same extent.

Just to address the point of fact by the way, Four Roads pick from our parish, which is geographically big but not heavily populated, and theoretically, they also pull from the St. Brigid's club. In practice, very, very few from St. Brigid's parish hurl, and the majority of those that do at underage level, go into Southern Gaels in Athlone, rather than coming out to Four Roads.

Four Roads as a club is also conscious of the fact that they are in a county where there are seven adult hurling clubs, three of which amalgamate at underage level, and the other three, football is the undisputed number one sport, albeit they have the population to make that work. This parish does not have that, it's probably at a similar level to Kinnitty in terms of numbers. So what that means is that they do a lot of hurling in Galway, adult and underage, to try and keep their standards up, and because they're playing a full programme of games in both counties, they are stretched, and playing football and hurling in this parish is a hell of a lot more difficult than it is in Ferbane, or Belmont, or Cloghan, or Banagher, or Mucklagh etc.

Yes, Four Roads have a lot of county hurlers, but it's a statement of fact to say that the majority of county hurlers who are members of Roscommon clubs other than Four Roads, also played adult football in 2023.

In contrast, out of the team that started this year's county final for Four Roads, two of them would have also been involved with St. Aidan's first team, and there may have been one or two that togged out for the juniors, though I don't think so. It's also a statement of fact that while there are some of those players that never played football, at least a half a dozen of them have done in recent years, but didn't in 2023.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

FerbaneInsider
Junior A

Post by FerbaneInsider »

frankthetank wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:23 pm
faithfulfanatic wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:20 am Shane Curley from Roscommon to take over in Belmont. Unsure if that is coaching and/or management. Had previously been with Four Roads and Cappataggle.
I say it must be the coaching side of things going by the last paragraph of this article.

https://roscommonpeople.ie/no-complacen ... ds-curley/
James Murphy is the new Belmont manager, Shane Curley is in as a coach.

Ger Rafferty is staying on as Ferbane manager.