odds for champ

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
the weak group
Junior B

odds for champ

Post by the weak group »

what odds would be appropriate for the six teams left in the football champ

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

At a rough guess.....

4/5 Rhode
7/2 Clara
4/1 Shamrocks
12/1 St. Brigid's
16/1 Ballycumber
33/1 Erin Rovers

That is a guess though - I haven't seen much local football this year at all.

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

Rhodes odds seem generous at this stage

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

My verdict at the start of the year was that Clara were primed to give them a serious run provided they got them before the Semi Final. I'd stand by that.

In saying that, you might be right though - I can't see any winner barring those two. Maybe 4/6 Rhode, 4/1 Clara and 5/1 Shamrocks might be closer to the mark.

seamroga
Senior

Post by seamroga »

I appreciate my predictions took a serious turn for the worst last weekend, but I still think Shamrocks deserve to be second favourites.
I held the opinion for a few years that Shamrocks would not be serious contenders because Ronan Mooney was unavailable and I think the absence of Mark Daly rules out any hope of a Dowling Cup success for Clara.
Considering Rhode have played far better in the early stages of the championship this year than they did last year, I'd put them at 1/2, with Shamrocks 4/1 and Clara 5/1.
Looking at the six teams left, a couple of interesting facts appear. We have four teams from two parishes - Rhode and St Brigid's plus Ballycumber and Erin Rovers.
Furthermore, we could start a thread on the reasons why some of the bigger towns such as Tullamore and Edenderry are not dominating as they should (especially considering the huge underage work that has been done by Tullamore) while smaller clubs like Ballycumber - and fair dues to them - are heading for a semi-final for the second year in a row. I think the current situation also points to the need for parish teams in areas of north Offaly, which were the traditional strongholds. Look at Daingean, they could be back junior shortly if they are not careful.

Tom
County player

Post by Tom »

seamroga wrote: I think the absence of Mark Daly rules out any hope of a Dowling Cup success for Clara.
Have to say the reason i think clara underachieved last year was more to do with the fact that Tomo went to america than mark daly leavin. Also, some of the older player were kept on. The clara team is a much younger team than last year, and now has the fastest full forward line in the county. Think after last yrs championship, Shamrocks have to be considered as challengers to rhode, but the more people see of clara i think they will emerge as the more serious contenders. Fell free to quote me on this if clara get knocked out in the upcoming rounds. :oops:

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Seamróga I'm not sure I follow your logic - smaller club units within a parish is working in Rhode and Ballycumber, so we should amalgamate Daingean? I'm not saying there isn't a problem there, but as far as I'm concerned smaller units have worked, so I'd say it's more an issue for Daingean to make sure that the relatively promising Vincent's teams in the last couple of years at minor level are harnessed rather than anything else.

I'm not saying that Shamrocks wouldn't be slight favourites over Clara in a game between the two, but just that I would give Clara more of a "danger" factor in a match against Rhode. They've also won the last match between them in the championship as well. Finally they're more likely to meet them in a semi than a final - where Rhode would be marginally more likely to get caught out.

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Rhode, Brigids, Clara and Erin Rovers will make the semi finals.

Rhode to win the championship but Clara the one team who can beat them and Clara seriously have no respect for Rhode.