Offaly Senior B Hurling Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Pick the 2 finalists

Kilcormac-Killoughey
39%
Clara
13%
Lusmagh
19%
Clodiagh Gaels
29%
Birr
No votes
Shamrocks
No votes

Total votes: 31

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Senior B Hurling Championship 2023

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

A bit of everything. Three distinct Kelly families on the list, four sets of brothers (off the top of my head) and a father and son.

Seven Kellys started. I think the record is eight (in 1986), something Shinrone equalled with the Clearys in recent years.
llkj wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:19 am I saw the Lusmagh panel listed online. From a quick count I think it was 15 players with the surname Kelly - looked like 7 started. It must be some type of record. Curious to know the backstory there: is it a couple of sets of brothers, or cousins or is it just an area with many Kelly families?

Tough loss for sure but life and hurling goes on.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Impossible to see anything but a win for K/K today. Particularly with CG without Joey Keenaghan and Dylan Hyland.

If the day stays dry and calm it could get nasty for the Killeigh-Killurin combo.

TownieInOz
Junior A
Club: Tullamore

Post by TownieInOz »

I take it joey keenaghans appeal didn’t pan out for gaels ? If both had full teams could have been a cracking game but I tend to agree it’s hard to look past KK.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

TownieInOz wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:21 am I take it joey keenaghans appeal didn’t pan out for gaels ? If both had full teams could have been a cracking game but I tend to agree it’s hard to look past KK.
Joey lost his appeal. Clodiagh Gaels have to battle on, as they will this afternoon. Weather bad for the match, hope we have a good game, whoever wins. The second game Ballinamere v Shinrone should be a good one. I think Shinrone will win.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Kk win senior B Offaly GAA have up on their social media that they will have two senior teams next year seems strange that this would happen.

Surely incorrect news ?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Yes. Fake news. Per competition regulations, those who took the field today are regraded to Senior for next year.

But the usual regrading rules apply. Up to around 2018 this would mean they could regrade seven down a grade. Since then, clubs select a list of 18 Seniors and the rest can play at a lower grade. So be interesting to see what happens.

As for the Board's tweet, the Tullamore situation applied to Junior B winners. The Competition Regulations specifically apply to Senior B, Intermediate and Junior A winners.
greenairfield wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:30 pm Kk win senior B Offaly GAA have up on their social media that they will have two senior teams next year seems strange that this would happen.

Surely incorrect news ?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

So no promotion, no relegation?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:55 pm So no promotion, no relegation?
I believe Seir Kieran stay in Senior A championship.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Might be better in future to have senior b final on sooner in the calendar so its not necessary to have a senior relegation play off.

TerraceTalk
Intermediate

Post by TerraceTalk »

Agree with that. Would require good organization at the same time to avoid having teams waiting 4 weeks for a potential relegation game.
I note that KK are the 6th different winner of the Senior B championship since it came back around 2017. Indicates that it’s a healthy and competitive championship as a whole. Anything to be said for increasing the size to 8 and having 2 groups of 4? Would expose more players to a higher level of hurling and in theory the championship could be played off a week or two sooner in hopefully better conditions.
The weather yesterday really took the sting out of that game unfortunately.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Will o callaghan on twitter said that it's up to kk if they want two teams. If that's the case that terrible planning/rules by county board. Clareen don't know if they are up or down.