Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Name the 4 semi finalists

KK
25%
Rynaghs
24%
Birr
5%
Tullamore
No votes
Kinnitty
1%
Shinrone
14%
Belmont
20%
Ballinamere
9%
Coolderry
2%
Seir Kieran
No votes

Total votes: 100

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

Post by Lone Shark »

Little bit of a tangent, but it's an interesting phrasing - only those who play in finals shall be graded up. So if someone from Kilcormac-Killoughey played every minute of the senior B championship so far, but missed the final, they would stay as a "Senior B" player, while the guy who came on for two minutes at the end of the final - presuming K-K win of course - would be graded up.

But as you say, if the rule is that you name 18 out of those that are officially graded Senior A at the start of the year, it becomes moot. That's probably a fairer rule anyway. There's nothing worse for any player than being trapped in the limbo of being not good enough in the eyes of the manager to get minutes for a first team, but ineligible to play with the second team.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

My score predictions for the weekend.

Shinrone 1-17 Ballinamere 2-12

Kilcormac Killoughey 2-20 St Rynagh's 1-16

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Can argue with them Onionbag.
Down to the bookies so, thanks

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Shinrone Rynaghs final.
Two underdogs.

Shinrone to win 2 in a row :shock:

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Ballinamere and Kk final !!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

hard to argue over KK..unbeaten, not spectacular but still won all group games and qualified directly for semifinal - that said the Banagher side will be a formidable outfit as always, especially when its their now old foe KK..its obviously all down to the scoreboard, and I think KK might just have the ability to get their scores more spread out and more even and that bit easier..Rynaghs will have the heart and the players to win - KK need to be firing abit more consistent and I think the fact its Rynaghs they will..predicting KK to win by 1-20 to St. Rynaghs 1-16

Other game is a tough call -many are/were dismissing Shinrone as even worthy champions last year, I over hear two GAA men bemoaning "Shinrone got lucky last year - next senctenc was "we played sh*te last year" ...the irony of that statement...Again, they had a belter against Birr and won which they would not have done in times past - people say then they beat a poor Birr team!!Ballinamere are the form team going straight to semifinals - they will be rocking here for this game..Shinrone will be out to avenge the group game - that will have been a reality check for Shinrone while it wasnt fatal to their season. The Birr game will stand to Shinrone this weekend- make no mistake about that. I think the graft now and dogedness of Shinrone might be enough here to be honest. Ballinamere will keep the points ticking over which are important but goals win games and Shinrone will score some here. Shinrone 2-18 Ballinamere 20 points. Both games will probably be closer but thats my take.
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerraceTalk
Intermediate

Post by TerraceTalk »

Tend to agree with FairPlay for the most part. Rynaghs will give KK a serious run for their money but it’s hard to look past the green and yellow.
Ballinamere will have to be flawless to beat Shinrone who I think will come alive tomorrow with their backs to the wall. Shinrone to edge it by a narrow margin. Extra time in either game wouldn’t surprise me. Excited for a cracking weekend of hurling!!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

The Shinrone vs K/K county final will be the first back to back final consisting of the same teams since Birr and Coolderry played in 3 finals in row from 2004-2006.

Was that 2006 final the most recent final in SBP?

DannyBoyCane
Junior C

Post by DannyBoyCane »

yes

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Yes it was last time..I got my 2 predictions right..Shinrone I think will beat Kilcormac..they know how to win now..people writing them off all year i think has spurred them on..

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

After attending the two matches over the weekend these are my thoughts.

Shinrone, deserved their win and have turned into different animals since the 1/4 final victory. Showed great composure and worthy winners Saturday.

Ballinamere, are definitely a coming force in Offaly hurling. Will rue missed chances in second half that could have made it more interesting in last few minutes.

Kilcormac Killoughey, won well turned on the style when needed. Absorbed the early onslaught but always looked like the better team.

St Rynagh's, started well but never pulled clear enough away. They've probably gone back even further than last year. Had excuse of players away last season but not this. Probably rode their luck to beat Coolderry in 1/4.

DerekCarroll
Junior C

Post by DerekCarroll »

Two best teams into the county final and it should be a great occasion in Birr Sunday week. Please god the rain stays away.

They both play the same way really, flood the middle with bodies and try pick out their two men left inside with nice ball. And supplement that with a few scores from their shooters out the field. So whoever executes the modern hurling 101 tactics best Sunday week wins, right? Maybe not... would one of them be tempted to deploy a big man on the edge of the square in the tighter environs of SBP. I think the Shinrone and KK mgmt will be keeping a close eye on the weather forecast next week.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I think you are right. Best two teams have got to the final.

It's so hard to call. You would think kk should win it but Shinrone very much has their number last year.

Might not be much in it. Hopefully stays dry over the next 10 days and we get a great final back in the "home of hurling" :x :lol:

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Agree with what was said above, the two best teams are into the final and there’s very little to separate them.

I think the weather will have more than a major bearing on who comes out on top and will actually decide the destiny of the Sean Robbins.

If there’s been a week of rain and the ground is heavy then I think that plays into Shinrone’s hands particularly in SBP. However, if it’s a relatively dry week and the pitch is in good shape then I’d fancy KK to get over the line.

It would take something very special indeed for KK to beat Shinrone on heavy ground or Shinrone to beat KK on firm ground.

On the championship as a whole, it looks very much like KK, Shinrone and Ballinamere will be battling for titles over the next number of years while perennial contenders like Rynaghs, Belmont and Coolderry are going to fall away.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:28 am Agree with what was said above, the two best teams are into the final and there’s very little to separate them.

I think the weather will have more than a major bearing on who comes out on top and will actually decide the destiny of the Sean Robbins.

If there’s been a week of rain and the ground is heavy then I think that plays into Shinrone’s hands particularly in SBP. However, if it’s a relatively dry week and the pitch is in good shape then I’d fancy KK to get over the line.

It would take something very special indeed for KK to beat Shinrone on heavy ground or Shinrone to beat KK on firm ground.

On the championship as a whole, it looks very much like KK, Shinrone and Ballinamere will be battling for titles over the next number of years while perennial contenders like Rynaghs, Belmont and Coolderry are going to fall away.
Cue Greenairfield to run down Ballinamere 😂