Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Name the 4 semi finalists

KK
25%
Rynaghs
24%
Birr
5%
Tullamore
No votes
Kinnitty
1%
Shinrone
14%
Belmont
20%
Ballinamere
9%
Coolderry
2%
Seir Kieran
No votes

Total votes: 100

frankthetank
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

Post by frankthetank »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:56 pm Not necessarily. Only recent precedent is around a decade ago when Rhode won the Intermediate football, Shamrocks were still relegated and there were 11 Senior clubs the following year. But there was no relegation at the end of that year.

Nothing in the competition regulations on the matter.
chimbonda wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:02 am Do clareen stay up if KK win senior B?
If K/K win the senior b relegating Seir Kieran would be a poor move by the county board. It would cause an unnecessary imbalance to the group stages and would really achieve nothing except relegating a club who actually focus entirely on hurling. The CB should make it known now what their decision is and hopefully common sense prevails.

Also, speaking of common sense one would hope that the Senior Semi Finals revert to a double header. Even in OCP, with the final being in SBP.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

If kk win, no one should be relegated. However, clareen being a club that only plays hurling should not be a reason to stay in senior A.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Ballinamere vs shinrone
Kil/ kil vs St Rynaghs

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Shinrone v Banagher final.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

KK v Shinrone final...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

KK v Shinrone for me.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Ballinamere vs Kk final.

uibhfhaili72
Junior A
Club: St.Rynaghs

Post by uibhfhaili72 »

Kk vs Shinrone Final I guess

Would I be right in saying that 2007 was the last time a team won the 1st and 2nd tier competition. Birr . KK could win a few As and Bs over the coming years with a constant flow of new players to join with the current strength. Could be difficult for players winning Bs and not being able to get the promotion themselves. Also the 3rd team have their sights on a junior final too.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Certainly an interesting draw. I think both Shinrone and Ballinamere will be happy and feel they both have great chance. I'd lean towards Shinrone here on this one with experience etc. They will have learned a lot from Ballinamere in recent group match and with revenge factor at play, they will be really up for that one and have the hurlers to back it up. Shinrone's ceiling is a little bit higher than Ballinamere for now. Shinrone by 3 or 4 i'd say.

Both would have preferred to have drawn someone from other semi as they's see them as weaker. This one could be a belter and hits will be hard. KK will feel a revenge factor for the heartache inflicted by Rynaghs over their 3 in a row period, while Rynaghs will feel they have not been respected given all the talk re KK and people just dismissing Rynaghs chances from early in year. The fact they struggled over Coolderry will make KK favourites but the harder game will stand to Rynaghs and maybe allow them to come in under the radar. Rynaghs have lots of experience and have won more, player for player. KK have some experience too that had huge success in mid 2010's mixed with lots of young serious talent coming through. Whoever wins this will go on to win championship I feel, and either could rattle Leinster championship. For me its a draw or one point win either way in either normal time or extra time. Just couldnt say who, it's that tight.
jimbob

TownieInOz
Junior A
Club: Tullamore

Post by TownieInOz »

KK vs Ballinamere in the final for me.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

If KK get through they might rattle Leinster but not any of the others

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Who are offaly playing on the leinster championship? Off the top of my head, Dublin, kk, kildare are ahead of offaly county champions.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Playing Naomh Eanna in the quarter finals and winners play mt Leinster rangers or Kilkenny champions in the semi finals.

Quarter finals scheduled 11/12th November
Semi finals scheduled 25/26th November

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I could be wrong, but I've a vague recollection of when Rhode and Tullamore won intermediate football titles with their second team (2004 for Tullamore, was it 2010 for Rhode? Not sure....), that when that happens, all those footballers immediately got regraded as "senior" so the club had over 40 players graded senior, and could only regrade whatever number is allowed for the following year.

I have absolutely no conviction in this belief so I'm very open to being told I'm incorrect, but am I? If so it would be a huge problem for those Kilcormac-Killoughey hurlers next year, and an anomaly in the rule book into the bargain.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

And there it is, article 2 in the Adult Championship regulations. “Players who played on the winning team in Senior B, Intermediate and Junior championship finals shall be considered to be of Senior, Senior B and Intermediate status respectively for the following year’s championships, unless they have been regraded.”

That said, “unless they have been regraded” is key. Under the old regrading rules, clubs could regrade seven (it used to be five). But now, clubs list 18 to play at the upper grade, and those not listed can play at a lower grade. So interesting to see how that pans out.
Lone Shark wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:46 pm I could be wrong, but I've a vague recollection of when Rhode and Tullamore won intermediate football titles with their second team (2004 for Tullamore, was it 2010 for Rhode? Not sure....), that when that happens, all those footballers immediately got regraded as "senior" so the club had over 40 players graded senior, and could only regrade whatever number is allowed for the following year.

I have absolutely no conviction in this belief so I'm very open to being told I'm incorrect, but am I? If so it would be a huge problem for those Kilcormac-Killoughey hurlers next year, and an anomaly in the rule book into the bargain.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.