Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Name the 4 semi finalists

KK
25%
Rynaghs
24%
Birr
5%
Tullamore
No votes
Kinnitty
1%
Shinrone
14%
Belmont
20%
Ballinamere
9%
Coolderry
2%
Seir Kieran
No votes

Total votes: 100

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

Post by greenairfield »

On what grounds are we saying Ballinamere should be contesting finals on exactly?
The have 3 very exciting young players in Bourke, Ravenhill and Burke but its not like they have a huge amount of underage success with floods of players coming through.
I have noting against them at all I just think we are over estimating where they are.

They have 3 players I know of starters who are over 30 so I'm not sure how much depth is there.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

B/D might not have great teams coming through but on those theams they have some very good hurlers. All you need is three or four players coming through every year and they have that.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:11 pm On what grounds are we saying Ballinamere should be contesting finals on exactly?
The have 3 very exciting young players in Bourke, Ravenhill and Burke but its not like they have a huge amount of underage success with floods of players coming through.
I have noting against them at all I just think we are over estimating where they are.

They have 3 players I know of starters who are over 30 so I'm not sure how much depth is there.
On the grounds they have the next best set of young players coming through after KK meanwhile Rynaghs, Birr, Coolderry and Belmont have very little if anything coming but I’m sure you’ll reject all of that out of hand because Birr beat Ballinamere in last years QF…

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

I won't reject it but I don't think it's a given far from it actually.

I suppose we will see and I would love to see them do well it only complements the great work Duignan done in the club and it might give us hope for offaly in the future with him involved with us.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:49 pm I won't reject it but I don't think it's a given far from it actually.

I suppose we will see and I would love to see them do well it only complements the great work Duignan done in the club and it might give us hope for offaly in the future with him involved with us.
On that front, I read today that Duignan will finish up as Offaly chairman next year. Any shouts for who should be next?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Next chair will be a kk one.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

private joker wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:12 pm Next chair will be a kk one.
Any particular reason why? I'd have assumed a football club would be next in line.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

You would hope with the progress that has been made under Duignan that he has someone in line with the same ideas and currently involved with the current regime.
Doesn't matter where he is from once he has both football and hurling in his best interest.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Two interesting q/finals at the weekend. You’d expect both to be close enough. Shinrone will be glad of another game before the semi final. I expect them to beat a poor Birr outfit, mightn’t be a whole lot in it though. If Cahill is back that’s a massive plus for them because they are very average without him.

In the other q/final I wouldn’t be surprised if Coolderry caused an upset of sorts if they beat a Rynaghs team that don’t seem to be firing on all cylinders.

Predictions:
Shinrone 3-18 Birr 2-16
Coolderry 1-20 St Rynaghs 1-18
Last edited by allstar2010 on Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Is that a thing, that we alternate between chairpersons from football and hurling clubs? Never noticed it if so.

To be honest, the majority of chairs have probably had a dual background. Certainly in recent years, you couldn't say that Pádraig Boland, Tommy Byrne or Michael Duignan would have had any strong favouritism towards one sport over the other.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Anonymous1 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:11 pm
On that front, I read today that Duignan will finish up as Offaly chairman next year. Any shouts for who should be next?
Tommy Byrne

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

We are trying to move forward not backwards

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Weekend Betting

All prices Paddy Power.

Seir Kieran 8/11 Draw 8/1 Kinnitty 5/4
When this opened on Tuesday, Seir Kieran were closer to 10/11, so there has been money there. I’m not sure how much money it would take to change prices in such markets. Loneshark might be the man for that.

St Rynaghs 1/2 Draw 9/1 Coolderry 15/8
I’m not sure on this, but I think Rynaghs did open up at a shorter price, suggesting there has been money for Coolderry.

Shinrone 5/6 Draw 8/1 Birr 6/5
There hasn’t been much movement on this since opening.

€10 on a treble of the 3 favourites pays €47.50
€10 on a treble of the 3 outsiders pays €142.30
If I was having a dart, I think I would go with 3 individual bets on the draws, such is the tight nature of matches that mean so much in Club Championship.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:08 am You would hope with the progress that has been made under Duignan that he has someone in line with the same ideas and currently involved with the current regime.
Doesn't matter where he is from once he has both football and hurling in his best interest.
I also think there is a successor lined up. Any name sticking out?

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

I think St.Rynaghs will get the job done tomorrow. You would think they would have a little bit too much for Coolderry and pull away in the final few minutes.

The other game is tight but if Eoghan Cahill is back you would think Birr might be a little bit too strong for the county champions.