Club football championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Club football championship 2023

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Not sure of this, but my understanding is they would have been approved at a monthly County Board meeting. Thing is, if tjis was the case, flawed regulations were presented to the clubs at that meeting.
frankthetank wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:41 pm I wonder would this regulation change have to be done by county boards before championship’s commenced? I presume it would.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

And the DRA decision still doesn't reconcile with the inability of a county bye-law to override something in Treoraí Oifigiúil.

I believe there is scope here for a counter objection.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:39 am Incorrect.
private joker wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:26 am It will have no effect on any club championship whose county board emailed out the rules before the championship began.
What's incorrect? If a county board emailed out the change in regulations at the start of the championship, its OK. Offaly, from what I'm told , did not include the changes .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The issue is caused by the championship regulations not being updated for the change to scoring difference voted on at Congress.

I am depending on local media reports here. The full DRA judgment will reveal all, when published in due course.
private joker wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:52 pm
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:39 am Incorrect.
private joker wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:26 am It will have no effect on any club championship whose county board emailed out the rules before the championship began.
What's incorrect? If a county board emailed out the change in regulations at the start of the championship, its OK. Offaly, from what I'm told , did not include the changes .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I've just seen the relevant section of the updated Treóraí Oifigiúil (following the amendment at Congress) and I can see a paragraph that states "except where provided for otherwise in County Bye-Law or Competition Regulations." I actually wasn't aware of that clause.

Means the older version of the competition regulations apply to Offaly championships this year, Gracefield were 100% correct and they are entitled to top the group.

I'm actually surprised at Leinster Council making an incorrect judgment on this.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Anonymous1 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:36 pm All games going ahead as fixed tomorrow.

Not the first time Michael Duignan has come out on top against Tommy Byrne.

https://twitter.com/Offaly_GAA/status/1 ... 32123?s=20
:oops: :oops: :oops:

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Messy situation especially if any other competitions were under the same rule and clubs weren’t aware.
What happens now does the competition just go ahead or could the other clubs lob in an objection for finishing 2nd and 3rd

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I imagine Gracefield top the group, and Clonbullogue play Ballycumber in a reconstituted quarter final. Ballycommon v Welsh Island is not affected. But that'd be a guess on my part.

The value to Gracefield is they avoid Cappincur until the final. They could still get Clonbullogue in a semi-final, though.
kingscounty wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:56 pm Messy situation especially if any other competitions were under the same rule and clubs weren’t aware.
What happens now does the competition just go ahead or could the other clubs lob in an objection for finishing 2nd and 3rd

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:13 pm I imagine Gracefield top the group, and Clonbullogue play Ballycumber in a reconstituted quarter final. Ballycommon v Welsh Island is not affected. But that'd be a guess on my part.

The value to Gracefield is they avoid Cappincur until the final. They could still get Clonbullogue in a semi-final, though.
kingscounty wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:56 pm Messy situation especially if any other competitions were under the same rule and clubs weren’t aware.
Bizarrely, Gracefield could now draw Ballycumber again in the semi final if Ballycumber beat Clonbullogue in a replayed quarter final, what a mess.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

It appears it’s happening all over the country with several club championships in disarray, in todays examiner

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Who is on the board of Gracefield who is driving this objection?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Tommy byrne?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Hidden agenda and all that.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Gracefield were 100% correct in what they did. It's clear cut that they were right and the CB got it wrong on this occasion.
The CB have been given a free pass on this error by the local media and thats fair enough people make mistakes and they are volunteers at the end of the day. You can't help but wonder if previous CB's would have been afforded such leeway had they made such an error or would there have been a pile in? Hmmmm.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Previous semi-finals

This is just the fourth time Ferbane and Rhode were semi-final opponents, something that surprised me. The score in the previous three were:-
In 1971, Ferbane were 0-8 to 0-7 winners
In 1972, defending champions Ferbane were 1-14 to 1-9 winners
Last year, they drew AET, Rhode 0-17 Ferbane 1-14, and Rhode won 3-2 on penalties

Tullamore and Edenderry are semi-final opponents for the eighth time. Edenderry have won 4 while Tullamore have won 3.
In 1928, Tullamore were 7-6 to 1-3 semi-final winners over Edenderry
In 1936, Edenderry won 2-2- to 1-2
In 1943, they drew Tullamore 3-5 Edenderry 4-2, before Tullamore won the replay 3-6 to 1-3
In 1984, Edenderry were 2-8 to 1-9 winners
In 1997, Edenderry won 0-10 to 0-7
In 2015, Edenderry won 2-14 to 2-7
Last year, defending champions Tullamore won 1-14 to 0-10