Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Name the 4 semi finalists

KK
25%
Rynaghs
24%
Birr
5%
Tullamore
No votes
Kinnitty
1%
Shinrone
14%
Belmont
20%
Ballinamere
9%
Coolderry
2%
Seir Kieran
No votes

Total votes: 100

Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

Post by Fairplayalways »

Dodge83 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:52 pm
faithfulfanatic wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:42 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:29 pm
Firstly its obviuos its an 'anorak' ime dealing with in that your happy with it as it is s thats all ok..ime talking shite to a bollox like you and all other 'anoraks' so you can politely take a hike...saying someone is talking shite in a sober debate is the bullys way of dismissal..so if you dont concur tough, stay out of it..wont waste my time reading your reply as no doubt your used to getting the last say in everything in life..attack if people differ and kill the risk of debate..Good luck.
Fairplayalways, you say that Dodge kills the risk of debate and just start throwing insults.

Yet you haven’t presented any actual argument as to what removing second teams from the championships actually accomplishes?
Exactly 👍🏻
Didn't think i had to give example s..my argument is an example in that it allows the teams such as C&R and Drumcullen win these lower tier competitions..anyways ye don't agree, nothing wrong with that..just thinking of keeping these lower tier competitions exclusive to those teams without second and third teams from strong established senior A teams winning them, which i appreciate isn't guaranteed..tks all thevsame for views..

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

What a win for Ballinamere.
Shinrone seemed to take the foot off the gas.
A win yesterday seemed to mean a lot more to them that it did to Shinrone.
Now they are 60 minutes from a county final, with a month to prepare and all footballing obligations out the window.

Best Coolderry performance I’ve seen in quite a few years.
Belmont looked flat and bereft of any hunger.
Coolderry’s management had been criticised by many and looked at with bewilderment by all (including myself) for the radical personnel changes enforced on the team. But I suppose this had to be done at some stage and they took the leap. Brian Carroll still showed his worth when he came in. What a sight for a back to see coming in with 15-20 mins to go and you are starting to wane.
Yesterday was a sort of a free hit for Coolderry with nothing to lose and all the pressure on Belmont.
You could tell that from the way both teams hurled, Coolderry relished it while Belmont appeared a degree fearful of what may happen.

Coolderry now face Rynaghs, KK or Birr in a quarter final.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Belmont were a shadow of the team they have been in the last few years. They have been so close to making the breakthrough but shattering defeats, particularly last year in the semi final to Shinrone, have taken their toll. With the loss of Oisin Kelly and David Nally only just back from injury and less than match fit, this was always going to be a stiff challenge.

I was very impressed with Coolderry. They did the simple things well and played as a team. They could be dark horses this year. And no other team has a sub to bring on of the calibre of Brian Carroll.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Fairplayalways wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:16 pm
Dodge83 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:52 pm
faithfulfanatic wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:42 pm

Fairplayalways, you say that Dodge kills the risk of debate and just start throwing insults.

Yet you haven’t presented any actual argument as to what removing second teams from the championships actually accomplishes?
Exactly 👍🏻
Didn't think i had to give example s..my argument is an example in that it allows the teams such as C&R and Drumcullen win these lower tier competitions..anyways ye don't agree, nothing wrong with that..just thinking of keeping these lower tier competitions exclusive to those teams without second and third teams from strong established senior A teams winning them, which i appreciate isn't guaranteed..tks all thevsame for views..
You still haven’t suggested where the bigger senior teams second teams are supposed to play ??

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

With the Senior A and B knockout matchups now finalised I would anticipate:

The Birr vs Shinrone Quarter Final to double up with the Birr vs Lusmagh Semi Final and be held in OCP

While the St Rynaghs vs Coolderry Quarter Final to double up with the K/K vs Clodiagh Gaels Semi Final and be held in Birr.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

For me at the moment I would rank the 6 remaining teams in the following order. This takes into account their performances in this year’s championship only and nothing to do with previous campaigns.

So for example there’s no point Greenairfield telling me I should rank Birr ahead of Ballinamere because they beat them comfortably in last year’s Q-Final.

1. Kilcormac/Killoughey
2. Ballinamere
3. Shinrone
4. St Rynaghs
5. Coolderry
6. Birr

And then the 4 teams who didn’t make the knockouts.
7. Belmont
8. Tullamore
9. Seir Kieran
10. Kinnitty

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

For me at the moment I would rank the 6 remaining teams in the following order. This takes into account their performances in this year’s championship only and nothing to do with previous campaigns.

So for example there’s no point Greenairfield telling me I should rank Birr ahead of Ballinamere because they beat them comfortably in last year’s Q-Final.

1. Kilcormac/Killoughey
2. Ballinamere
3. Shinrone
4. St Rynaghs
5. Coolderry
6. Birr

And then the 4 teams who didn’t make the knockouts.
7. Belmont
8. Tullamore
9. Seir Kieran
10. Kinnitty

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

My take on it for what it's worth.

1 KK
2 Ballinamere
3 Shinrone
4 Coolderry
5 St Rynagh's
6 Birr.

I feel KK V Ballinamere Final.

KK will win after beating Shinrone in semi.

Ballinamere will get to Final after accounting for Coolderry.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

The fact there’s an open deaw for semi finals (well a seeded open draw) makes it pointless to predict x will beat y in semi final as the prediction is based on chance.

A more merit based prediction is to predict who will join K/K & Ballinamere in semi finals.

St Rynaghs and Shinrone for me.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Ballinamere lose their semi final all day. For me they are below ordinary.

faithfulfanatic
All Star

frankthetank wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:37 pm With the Senior A and B knockout matchups now finalised I would anticipate:

The Birr vs Shinrone Quarter Final to double up with the Birr vs Lusmagh Semi Final and be held in OCP

While the St Rynaghs vs Coolderry Quarter Final to double up with the K/K vs Clodiagh Gaels Semi Final and be held in Birr.
It’s KK v Lusmagh and Birr V Clodiagh Gaels in the senior B semis.
Unsure what way it will be fixed.

faithfulfanatic
All Star

From the original poll, a good % had Belmont reaching a semi while 1 poster had Kinnitty.

Other than that, all teams that were voted for remain in the championship.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:24 am [quote=frankthetank post_id=68503 time=<a href="tel:1693762640">1693762640</a> user_id=11759]
With the Senior A and B knockout matchups now finalised I would anticipate:

It’s KK v Lusmagh and Birr V Clodiagh Gaels in the senior B semis.
Unsure what way it will be fixed.
[/quote]

Schoolboy error on my part. You’d have to imagine both Birr games will be in OCP.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

So the county board are concerned about the small
Crowds at games 👀
I wonder why .
We should had the senior championship over by the first week of September
Let U20s and the rest have September to get games done with etc .
common sense !!!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Any word how long Emmet Nolan will be around for?
He'd be hell of an addition to Johnny Kellys squad for next year.....or is that just wishful thinking?