Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Name the 4 semi finalists

KK
25%
Rynaghs
24%
Birr
5%
Tullamore
No votes
Kinnitty
1%
Shinrone
14%
Belmont
20%
Ballinamere
9%
Coolderry
2%
Seir Kieran
No votes

Total votes: 100

Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior A Hurling Championship 2023

Post by Fairplayalways »

Dodge83 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:06 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:18 pm
frankthetank wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:54 pm If a club X’s 1st team is incapable of beating Club Y’s 2nd team what business have they hurling Club Y’s 1st team?

Therefore a grade below Senior for clubs made of 1st teams only is not feasible.

For example Drumcullen lost to Coolderry’s 2nd team in the Intermediate Championship. Do you think Drumcullen should be in a higher grade just because it’s their first team? That’s not how meritocracy works.
Your missing my point, my point is Drumcullen should not be playing Coolderrys second team in Drumcullens top tier which is as of now intermediate level, would it not be better leave Drumcullen with their own level of teams like C&R and other such teams, the winners (or both finalists) go up a tier promoted, one as intermediate champions the other just promoted for reaching final..other side then is the two bottom teams above them in Senior B replace them at intermediate next year..this gives these now less successful teams their crack at Senior B and who knows senior A the following year...only problem in Offaly is would there be enough teams to segragate it in that way that you would only have your Drumcullens and C&Rs etc competing for the grade they are in and you wouldnt have the big Senior teams lower tiers in them competitions..if the promoted team (or teams) get relegated again the following year so be it, saying if they cant beat team Xs B team is not a good enough reason to allow them win their own championship playing clubs and teams of their own pedigree..not playing strong second teams of senior A clubs who will always have excess good talent to stock their second team etc..
So where is Coolderrys second team supposed to play ?? You are talking shite !! They championship’s are fine the way they are. Why complicate things ??
Firstly its obviuos its an 'anorak' ime dealing with in that your happy with it as it is s thats all ok..ime talking shite to a bollox like you and all other 'anoraks' so you can politely take a hike...saying someone is talking shite in a sober debate is the bullys way of dismissal..so if you dont concur tough, stay out of it..wont waste my time reading your reply as no doubt your used to getting the last say in everything in life..attack if people differ and kill the risk of debate..Good luck.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Fairplayalways wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:29 pm
Your missing my point, my point is Drumcullen should not be playing Coolderrys second team in Drumcullens top tier which is as of now intermediate level, would it not be better leave Drumcullen with their own level of teams like C&R and other such teams, the winners (or both finalists) go up a tier promoted, one as intermediate champions the other just promoted for reaching final..other side then is the two bottom teams above them in Senior B replace them at intermediate next year..this gives these now less successful teams their crack at Senior B and who knows senior A the following year...only problem in Offaly is would there be enough teams to segragate it in that way that you would only have your Drumcullens and C&Rs etc competing for the grade they are in and you wouldnt have the big Senior teams lower tiers in them competitions..if the promoted team (or teams) get relegated again the following year so be it, saying if they cant beat team Xs B team is not a good enough reason to allow them win their own championship playing clubs and teams of their own pedigree..not playing strong second teams of senior A clubs who will always have excess good talent to stock their second team etc..
So where is Coolderrys second team supposed to play ?? You are talking shite !! They championship’s are fine the way they are. Why complicate things ??
Firstly they play what ever level they are at..my original post covered all that scenario..secondly its obviuos its an 'anorak' ime dealing with in that your happy with it as it is s thats all ok..ime talking shite to you and all other 'anoraks' so you can politely take a hike...saying someone is talking shite in a sober debate is the bullys way of dismissal..so if you dont concur fine but tough, stay out of it..wont waste my time reading your reply as no doubt your used to getting the last say in everything in life..attack if people differ and kill the risk of debate..Good luck.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Firstly its obviuos its an 'anorak' ime dealing with in that your happy with it as it is s thats all ok..ime talking shite to a bollox like you and all other 'anoraks' so you can politely take a hike...saying someone is talking shite in a sober debate is the bullys way of dismissal..so if you dont concur tough, stay out of it..wont waste my time reading your reply as no doubt your used to getting the last say in everything in life..attack if people differ and kill the risk of debate..Good luck.
Fairplayalways, you say that Dodge kills the risk of debate and just start throwing insults.

Yet you haven’t presented any actual argument as to what removing second teams from the championships actually accomplishes?

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

[/quote]
[/quote]

I’m a bollox ?? 😂 Jesus you got very aggressive there ! A bit undeserved I think !! I’m trying to debate and you are throwing insults. Good man 👍🏻

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:42 pm

Fairplayalways, you say that Dodge kills the risk of debate and just start throwing insults.

Yet you haven’t presented any actual argument as to what removing second teams from the championships actually accomplishes?
Exactly 👍🏻

uibhfhaili72
Junior A
Club: St.Rynaghs

Post by uibhfhaili72 »

greenairfield wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:28 pm Should be only 8 teams in senior A.
And go back to intermediate and junior A scrap senior B.
It would be alot more competitive as it was a few years ago.
I think this should be discussed. We have the same structure as Galway and Tipperary Championships and we have 20 clubs. 8 Senior ,8 inter, 10 Junior ,10/12/15 Junior B. The Senior B championship seems to be a bit yo-yo and weak with only 6 teams. could be wrong but I think this would bulk it up and make it more competitive. It also lines up with the Leinster Championship.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

This kind of sh1t really pisses me off. A poster comes out and claims the Senior B championship is a bit yo yoey or whatever.

When literally no fact or statistic back this up. Since the reintroduction of the Senior B there has been 4 winners:

2019: Seir Kieran
2020: Kinnitty
2021: Clodiagh Gaels
2022: Tullamore

Only 1 of those 4 teams went straight back down or yo yoed if you like. Clodiagh Gaels in 2022. So 75% of the winners haven’t yo yoed. Literally 75%.

Opinions that have no basis in reality or facts are best kept to the high stool.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

greenairfield wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:28 pm Should be only 8 teams in senior A.
Agree with this,

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

kingscounty wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:50 pm
Agree with this,
Would you go with one group of 8 or two 4s.

If there were 8 in the group this year or next year who would be in senior A.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Sure who ever the bottom 2 are been kinntty and Clareen.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

There will clearly be a 10 team Senior A in 2024. Competition regulations were passed for the 2023 season and can't be amended now.

The earliest year for a change to 10 teams in Senior A would be 2025 as clubs will need to know how the structure of 2024 championship effects the make up of the 2025 championship.

TownieInOz
Junior A
Club: Tullamore

Post by TownieInOz »

Predictions this weekend.

Ballinamere
Belmont
Rynaghs
KK

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Last three meetings of the weekend's round 5 opponents

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ballinamere v Shinrone
They drew in 2020, Ballinamere 3-19 Shinrone 2-22
In 2021, Shinrone won 4-18 to 2-15
They also drew last year, Shinrone 2-15 Ballinamere 0-21

Belmont v Coolderry
In 2019, Belmont were 2-17 to 1-10 quarter-final winners, Belmont’s first win over Coolderry;
In 2021, Coolderry were 0-26 to 0-16 winners;
And last year, Belmont were 0-19 to 1-12 winners.

Kinnitty v St Rynagh’s
In 2019, St Rynagh’s were 1-18 to 0-10 winners;
In 2021, St Rynagh’s were 0-23 to 1-12 winners;
Last ear, they drew, St Rynagh’s 2-21 Kinnitty 4-15
(Kinnitty’s last win over St Rynagh’s was a 4-8 to 2-12 quarter-final win in 2010.)

Birr v Kilcormac-Killoughey
In 2020, Kilcormac-Kiloughey were 0-17 to 0-14 winners;
In last year’s first round, Kilcormac-Kiloughey were 0-17 to 0-16 winners;
And in last year’s semi-final, Kilcormac-Kiloughey were 1-19 to 0-17 winners.
(Birr’s last win over Kilcormac-Killoughey was the 0-20 to 0-16 semi-final win in 2019.)
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Belmont’s time has come and gone.

The semi-final of 2022 will haunt them for years to come.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Big win for ballinamere today, to come back and score the final 7 points was big and totally controlled the last 10 minutes. If they had taken some of the goal chances as well it could have been even wider, had one in first min, last min of injury time, early in second half, I think shinrone went up and scored their second goal from the puck out. Shinrone constantly went with the same approach a high ball into the ballinamere back line and when ballinamere cleaned up shinrone had no plan b.

Coolderry deserved their victory, Belmont were poor and apart from a 5 min spell in second half were on top. Having seen them twice now they were poor both times and as a poster said maybe their time is gone.