Club football championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Club football championship 2023

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Just looking at some scoring trends on the four Senior A teams whose seasons have ended. (Naturally the top scorer will be the freetaker, but I haven’t split the data between scores from play and from placed balls.)

Durrow’s top scorer was Billy Fogarty with 2-12 from four games, followed by Kevin McDermott on 1-4. Twelve players shared 2-19, with only three of those finding the range three times in four games.

Peter and Mikey Cunningham scored 1-11 and 0-12 respectively for Bracknagh. After that, seven players shared 0-10 between them.

For Shamrocks, Nigel Dunne top scored with 1-32. After that, eight players shared 4-15, and outside of Jack Bryant’s 0-5 against Clara, nobody scored more than three times all year.

Clara’s top scorer was Ross Brady with 0-9, followed by Cormac Delaney with 0-6. After that, ten players share 1-23. And they scored just the one goal in four matches.

In contrast, five Tullamore players have scored 0-6 or more, as have five from Ferbane, four from Rhode and three from Edenderry.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

In relation to the Intermediate and wasn't at any of the quarter finals, these went as would be expected to a large degree.

Ballinagar by all reports made Pollagh work very hard for the win. Unfortunate for young Gallagher with the missed free near the end to send it to extra time but he stood up and took it and takes balls to put your hand up in those situations.
3-04 to 14 pts would suggest that Pollagh probably deserved it. But for Ballinagar, its been a great season and they have improved a lot as this championship has gone on and will look forward to 2024 with optimism.For Pollagh, this win sets them up nicely for a semi final, they had struggled in last 2 group games and edging a test like this will really stand to them.
Tullamore pipped Ferbane in the other and will take a bit of beating in the semi final. Croghan wont fear either team that they can meet. Daingean on the other hand have the ability and have improved this year, but they need to grab this opportunity, and play as a unit.
Who will win it? I think its Pollagh, Croghan as 2 favourites, but Tullmore and particularly Daingean have enough to win it. Should be ding dong semi final battles.
Ballycommon will be really happy with how they bounced back after a hammering from Clonbullogue in the 2nd group game. Gracefield got through also despite missing some key players so they will have a say, but to me its Cappincurs to lose. I expect a cappincur and clonbullogue final.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:07 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:01 pm Ferbane and Edenderry have qualified for the semi finals, defeating Bracknagh, and Durrow respectively after today’s quarter finals. Ferbane had an impressive 3-15 to 0-7 win , while Edenderry left it late to overcome Durrow 1-11 to2-7. Durrow added just a goal in the second half, while the winners scored 1-8 after the break, Cian Farrell got the winning score for the Reds.
Can either of today’s winners upset the odds versus Rhode or Tullamore in the penultimate round?
Ferbane certainly can, Edenderry can’t in my opinion.
I agree with that Anon. Ferbane had the beating of Rhode last year, but let it slip.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Semi final draws:

Senior A - Tullamore vs Edenderry & Rhode vs Ferbane
Senior B - Cappincur vs Ballycommon & Clonbullogue vs Gracefield
Intermediate - St Brigids vs Erin Rovers & Daingean vs Tullamore
Junior A - Doon vs Edenderry & Clodiagh Gaels vs Kilcormac/Killoughey
Junior C - Ballycommon vs Bracknagh & Ballyskenach/Killavilla vs Shamrocks,

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Anonymous1 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:45 pm Semi final draws:

Senior A - Tullamore vs Edenderry & Rhode vs Ferbane
Senior B - Cappincur vs Ballycommon & Clonbullogue vs Gracefield
Intermediate - St Brigids vs Erin Rovers & Daingean vs Tullamore
Junior A - Doon vs Edenderry & Clodiagh Gaels vs Kilcormac/Killoughey
Junior C - Ballycommon vs Bracknagh & Ballyskenach/Killavilla vs Shamrocks,
The Senior A Football draw is a repeat of the 2022 pairings. Will it be another Rhode v Tullamore Final? Neighbours Cappincur and Ballycommon meet in Senior B semi final.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Senior A -
Tullamore vs Edenderry Tullamore
Rhode vs Ferbane Ferbane....but not too confident

Senior B -
Cappincur vs Ballycommon ...can't wait for this one, Cappincur based on experience
Clonbullogue vs Gracefield Clonbullogue

Intermediate -
St Brigids vs Erin Rovers ....tough to call, but think Erin Rovers based on having come through a tough semi final
Daingean vs Tullamore Again tough to call, would think Daingean should have greater hunger, Daingean

Junior A -
Doon vs Edenderry Edenderry
Clodiagh Gaels vs Kilcormac/Killoughey Clodiagh Gaels
Junior C -
Ballycommon vs Bracknagh Bracknagh maybe
Ballyskenach/Killavilla vs Shamrocks Ballyskenach

Junior B is Ballyfores to lose I think

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Senior football championship top scorers

1. Nigel Dunne -1-32 (35pts) (16f)———4 games
2. Billy Fogarty-2-13 (19pts) ( 1-6f)——4 games
3. Darragh Flynn 1-15 (18pts) (4f)——4 games
4. Ruari Mcnamee -2-10 (16pts)——-—3 games
5. Cian Farrell- 22 ( 15f)——————--- 4 games
6. Cian Johnson- 2-9 15pts (4f)————3games
7. Peter Cunningham -1-11 ( 14pts) (5f)—-4 games
8. Jack Clancy-2-8 (14pts)———————4games

From play
1. Nigel Dunne 1-16
2. Ruari Mcnamee 2-10
3. Jack Clancy 2-8
4. Darragh Flynn 1-8
5. Cian Johnson 2-5

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Tmacmahon wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:40 pm Senior football championship top scorers

1. Nigel Dunne -1-32 (35pts) (16f)———4 games
2. Cian FarrellFarrell- 0-22 ( 15f)——————--- 4
3. Billy Fogarty-2-13 (19pts) ( 1-6f)——4 games
4.Darragh Flynn 1-15 (18pts) (4f)——4 games
5. Ruari Mcnamee -2-10 (16pts)——-—3 games
6. Cian Johnson- 2-9 15pts (4f)————3games
7. Peter Cunningham -1-11 ( 14pts) (5f)—-4 games
8. Jack Clancy-2-8 (14pts)———————4games

From play
1. Nigel Dunne 1-16
2. Ruari Mcnamee 2-10
3. Jack Clancy 2-8
4. Darragh Flynn 1-8
5. Cian Johnson 2-5

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Senior Football champ has been the worst senior championship in years. Huge gap between the top two and 7th and 8th team. Clara and Shamrocks seem to have fallen so far off its frightening and exemplified by their hammering from Tullamore and Rhode respectively. I'd imagine that the top two teams in senior B would be better than both this year.

Senior B Competition very competitive in comparison and intermediate probably even more competitive again. Its not a good look for our senior a championship being so weak. I'd go as far as saying that there were only 3 proper senior A teams in championship this year in Ferbane Tullamore and Rhode. A weakened bracknagh did well, Durrow hampered by hurling while Edenderry are way below par so far this year.

Tullamores to lose for me but they've lost 3 of last 4 that they were expected to win. Ferbane could pull a shock yet. They have the talent.

Senior B between Cappincur and Ballycommon I think is one that lots will be excited by and winners will be favourites I'd say for final.

All told, the business end is always the most exciting and hopefully we get goo games to wrap it up.
jimbob

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Gracefield won their appeal at the DRA

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

what impact has this dra appeal on the championships around the country

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It will have no effect on any club championship whose county board emailed out the rules before the championship began.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Incorrect.
private joker wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:26 am It will have no effect on any club championship whose county board emailed out the rules before the championship began.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Will cause problems for counties who didn't revise their competition rules to bring them into line with the change voted at Congress 2023.
Hasselhoff wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:58 am what impact has this dra appeal on the championships around the country

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I wonder would this regulation change have to be done by county boards before championship’s commenced? I presume it would.